Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a newer bike for my wife , she really likes the Vegas but she has never rode one , cant reach the pegs. In 2011 she rode a Kingpin at Myrtle Beach when the Victory truck was there with all the bikes , I think it had been lowered and the floorboards moved back closer to the rider. Im wondering if the Vegas and Kingpin pegs/floorboards mount at the same location , if so I could probably lower a Vegas and put floorboards on it and it should work. Another way to do it I guess would be to get a Kingpin and put Vegas fenders on it , if they fit. There is a Kingpin Low floorboard shock kit on ebay for $449.99 , Im guessing thats what had been done to the Kingpin she rode at Myrtle Beach. Any info would be greatly apreciated , thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another option would be the get a 2" rearward extension kit. I know Ive seen one, but I cant remember if it was on Witchdoctor's site or Cycleops or VictoryOnly.com...

You can also get kits that turn the pegs on the Vegas into floorboards. Saw those on VictoryOnly.com

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks So-crates , Ive seen the rearward extensions on ebay for $50 but Im not sure if that would be enough , the kit for Kingpins claims to move the floorboards up and back a little. We havent found a Vegas with the rearward extensions already installed. I would hate to go out and buy a Vegas only to find out I cant get it set up to fit.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Im looking for a newer bike for my wife , she really likes the Vegas but she has never rode one , cant reach the pegs. In 2011 she rode a Kingpin at Myrtle Beach when the Victory truck was there with all the bikes , I think it had been lowered and the floorboards moved back closer to the rider. Im wondering if the Vegas and Kingpin pegs/floorboards mount at the same location , if so I could probably lower a Vegas and put floorboards on it and it should work. Another way to do it I guess would be to get a Kingpin and put Vegas fenders on it , if they fit. There is a Kingpin Low floorboard shock kit on ebay for $449.99 , Im guessing thats what had been done to the Kingpin she rode at Myrtle Beach. Any info would be greatly apreciated , thanks
The KP is the better bike and floorboards are more comfortable than pegs, especially, if you're holding on to them by a couple toes. The standard KP seat isn't very high. I think it prolly better to try one before spending money lowering it and worsening the ride in the process. Watch from about the 7:00 minute mark if you don't have time for the whole thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife is 5ft tall, the Kingpin she rode at myrtle beach fit her just fine it was a 8ball and I know it was modified in some way cause the ones they have at the dealership dont fit. The people at the dealership dont seem very knowledgable . Im thinking about geting a KP and installing Vegas fenders on it if they fit. How is the KP the better bike ?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My wife is 5ft tall, the Kingpin she rode at myrtle beach fit her just fine it was a 8ball and I know it was modified in some way cause the ones they have at the dealership dont fit. The people at the dealership dont seem very knowledgable . Im thinking about geting a KP and installing Vegas fenders on it if they fit. How is the KP the better bike ?
The wheels are both of normal size. This provides for more neutral (confidence inspiring) handling than bikes with skinny or fat tires. The Kingpin also has a far better suspension at both ends.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I like it , especially the 18 inch front wheel.
Well, the Hammer front fender should fit the KP as should the Vegas rear fender. Finding them all painted to match a KP tank will be a challenge, unless you want black. But if you know a good painter, you could really make one unique, purdy, and functional Vic cruiser.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks SB , thats good to know. Also I know its got to be painted either way , its got to be yellow.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The Kingpin does not have a low seat height with exception for the KPLow. If you get a stock KP she will not be able to reach the ground. It has a high seat height, wide seat, side covers stick out a couple inches and the exhaust impedes as well. With all that, my legs are out to the side pretty far which makes it even harder to reach ground. I'm a short feller, 5' 7" and own a 2012 KP. I rode it with stock seats and then put touring seats on it. With both seats, I am on the tips of my toes touching the ground. Flat footing it is completely out of the question. I installed 1.5" lowering links and STILL could not flat foot it though I did get somewhat close. Fender rubbed on big bumps so I took the kit out. The $500 kit you see to lower it will eliminate the fender rubbing. This kit is what the KP Low uses and it also uses differant side covers that does not stick out so far. Victory sells the lowering kit as well as the "Low" side covers.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The Kingpin does not have a low seat height with exception for the KPLow. I'm a short feller, 5' 7" I am on the tips of my toes touching the ground. Flat footing it is completely out of the question.
What is your inseam? I'm 5'7" too and I didn't find it very tall. There is a sizing site here:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

I put in a 5'7" rider and it lists the standard inseam for that height of 30" and shows the rider flat footing it. I did the same with a 5' rider (26" inseam) and while not completely flat footed, certainly not far from it. In fact, much closer to flat footing it than I can on my FJR.

Anyway, "flat footing it" is over rated. There is no need to be able to do that to safely operate a bike. Until I bought the XR, I've never been able to flat foot a bike I've owned. Now I grant you there is a point where tall bikes can become a pain. I've rented a couple of tall BMW R1200RTs that could be a bit of a hand full with mama jumping on and off if I wasn't ready, but generally, even it wasn't that big a deal.

Take a look at the video I posted of the 15 year old, 4'11" girl riding the Harley Electra Glide with 15 minutes of practice after taught by a competent instructor.

After looking at the fitting site again, the bigger problem is the reach to the foot controls. Looks like a 5' rider would definitely need to get the pull back foot control brackets used on the Judge.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What is your inseam? I'm 5'7" too and I didn't find it very tall. There is a sizing site here:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

I put in a 5'7" rider and it lists the standard inseam for that height of 30" and shows the rider flat footing it. I did the same with a 5' rider (26" inseam) and while not completely flat footed, certainly not far from it. In fact, much closer to flat footing it than I can on my FJR.

Anyway, "flat footing it" is over rated. There is no need to be able to do that to safely operate a bike. Until I bought the XR, I've never been able to flat foot a bike I've owned. Now I grant you there is a point where tall bikes can become a pain. I've rented a couple of tall BMW R1200RTs that could be a bit of a hand full with mama jumping on and off if I wasn't ready, but generally, even it wasn't that big a deal.

Take a look at the video I posted of the 15 year old, 4'11" girl riding the Harley Electra Glide with 15 minutes of practice after taught by a competent instructor.
I wouldn't put any faith in a computer generated fit, it's based on seat height and does not take into account seat width, side cover thickness and how far out the exhaust is. All those affect your reach.
I agree with you that you don't have to flat foot it. I can't and still ride it that way, where not being able to flat foot it does cause a problem is trying to back the bike up on an incline. Having more foot on the ground and more reach makes it soooo much easier backing it up. I just avoid those situations though and park somewhere else.
My inseam is 27". There is no way a 26" inseam could come close to flat footing it, hence, don't rely on a simulated model.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I am 5'4" and have a 2008 Vegas Low, last year it was made I believe. I can stand flat footed, a feeling I couldn't trade for anything. No clue what my inseam is, but lets put it this way - I'm not a big guy.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I wouldn't put any faith in a computer generated fit, it's based on seat height and does not take into account seat width, side cover thickness and how far out the exhaust is. All those affect your reach.
True, but it's pretty accurate for my bikes and me. Then again, I put a 27" inseam on a Kingpin and it says "legs won't reach the pegs." I assume you don't ride around doing isometric exercise to keep your feet off the ground.

I agree with you that you don't have to flat foot it. I can't and still ride it that way, where not being able to flat foot it does cause a problem is trying to back the bike up on an incline. Having more foot on the ground and more reach makes it soooo much easier backing it up.
I put a Kingpin trunk on my XR. Being able to use it for leverage to move the bike around is alone worth the price of admission. The fact that it locks (with the ignition key) and I don't have to bend over and fiddle with those awful plastic latches on the saddlebags is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am 5'4" and have a 2008 Vegas Low, last year it was made I believe. I can stand flat footed, a feeling I couldn't trade for anything. No clue what my inseam is, but lets put it this way - I'm not a big guy.
My wife is 5' tall and does not touch flat footed with her Honda Spirit. The closer we could get in that direction would be great! Also, the guy at the Victory dealership in Myrlte Beach told us that Victory made the Vegas and Kingpin narrower in 2009 and newer because of the side covers and that seems to help a lot with her touching the ground.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts