Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I coast and let go of the bars my bike goes to the right. Other bikes go straight when I try it on them. What can be causing this and how can it be corrected?
Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you still have the stock exhaust on your KP? I noticed the same thing going from my old Vulcan to my new HighBall.

The reason is that the tube chassis Victory's, with the belt drive and almost 100 pounds of stock exhaust pipe, are all right side heavy and will want to turn right unless you lean waaay to the left.

Everything changed however, when I got rid of the stock exhaust & put my Hacker Jokers pipes on. Now my bike balances perfectly.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
When I coast and let go of the bars my bike goes to the right. Other bikes go straight when I try it on them. What can be causing this and how can it be corrected?
Yes, it can be corrected. Stop letting go of the bars. :D

It could be a number of things. Aside from what has been mentioned, it could be due to a windscreen, tire wear, grade of the road and a host of other things I'm sure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My Vegas does it too. My old VStar 1300 could steer itself, must just be the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2007 Kingpin that does the same thing. I used to be concerned about it, but I have been told by many Kingpin owners that its the nature of the beast. Having the exhaust and belt assembly on the same side has a lot to do with it, so I am told. I love my Kingpin and it handles wonderfully when I have both hands on the handlebars. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
100% rear wheel aligment !!!!!!!

no matter what pipes or such..should always go straight .thumb up
i never hear about them going left tho? not ruling it out just seems odd.
my hammer did with stock pipes and stop with the new lighter pipes.
my kingpin does with stage 1 straights, you'd never know it if you dont let go of the bars so i dont see why people make a big deal about it, ill throttle lock my bike and hang a cheek off the left and she'll track straight as an arrow with no hands.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i never hear about them going left tho? not ruling it out just seems odd.
my hammer did with stock pipes and stop with the new lighter pipes.
my kingpin does with stage 1 straights, you'd never know it if you dont let go of the bars so i dont see why people make a big deal about it, ill throttle lock my bike and hang a cheek off the left and she'll track straight as an arrow with no hands.
all vics are a little heavyer on the right side...so it makes no sense going left anyways ...with or without pipes...just sayin !

ONLY THING THAT MAKES A BIKE...ANY BIKE ...not go straight is aligment !!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
229 Posts
if that is the case and a heavier side is not the underlining issue then why does balancing the bike (i.e. hanging your left cheek off the seat) make it track straight?

and why is it that my hammer pulled right with stock pipes and now tracks straight with clubs and the wheel has been left untouched?
you really cant tell me that hanging 40lbs extra on one side will not pull the bike in that direction, no matter how straight your wheels are. all wheels WANT to go straight but there are more factors than just what centrifugal force wants to make the bike do.

·
Registered
353 Posts
if that is the case and a heavier side is not the underlining issue then why does balancing the bike (i.e. hanging your left cheek off the seat) make it track straight?

and why is it that my hammer pulled right with stock pipes and now tracks straight with clubs and the wheel has been left untouched?
you really cant tell me that hanging 40lbs extra on one side will not pull the bike in that direction, no matter how straight your wheels are. all wheels WANT to go straight but there are more factors than just what centrifugal force wants to make the bike do.
your an expert !!!!

and im out !! :Dthumb up:rolleyes:

·
Registered
229 Posts
im not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, i just dont understand how an unbalanced bike would track straight no matter how straight the wheel is. now if your saying the rear wheel could be moved in such a way to counteract this unbalance i would consider that may be possible but would wonder how that would effect the bike at higher speed and tire wear.

·
Registered
353 Posts
look its simple...u have 2 wheels on a bike ( front and rear ) if they are 100% straight in line it does not matter if one side has more in the saddle bag then the other..WHY... because the rear tire follows the front tire 100% no matter if u have 50 pounds more on one side or the other ! it may lean over a tat ..but it will run 100% straight !

Now if a bike ( or car ) lets stay with 2 wheels... is not 100% in line ( aligned ) the rear tire can not follow the front and will steer to either side the aligment is off !

Does that make sense to you ???? :rolleyes:

thumb up

and i am not a rocket sience ! :ltr::ltr::Dcheers

·
Registered
229 Posts
Maybe the bikes gay? jk
If it were gay, wouldn't it lean to the left? :ltr::D

There's a big difference between a bike not tracking straight and it wanting to flop over on one side while driving.

Consider this:
If the alignment is off, the bike will feel like it's driving with the rear out to one side or the other, but it is still stable and will remain upright when you let go of the bars (I actually had this happen on my old Vulcan). the tell-tale sign of this is uneven tire wear.

When you let go of the bars on one of the tube chassis bikes, gravity takes over. Because the right side of the bike has the pully and that heavy exhaust, the bikes natural urge is to lean over to the right. Coupled with the fact that the front tire is narrower than the rear, the bike will turn itself to the right.

Unless you change the center of gravity of the bike by leaning your body off the left side, or hacking off the exhaust, the bike will always behave this way.

Long story short, alignment and balance are mutually exclusive problems.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Even with a perfectly straight rear wheel, the heavier right side of the bike can make the bike want to lean right, and subsequently go right. Two solutions, either balance out the weight, typically by putting lighter weight aftermarket pipes on, or align the rear wheel to counteract the weight of the ride side.... which means the rear wheel will no longer be perfectly straight, but the bike will track straight with the slight off center alignment.

I believe aligning the rear wheel to point slight right will offset the bike wanting to go right (the thought being similar to counter steering, whereas the right pointing wheel will make the bottom of the bike go right, causing a left lean).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts