Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what would keep my 2006 kingpin from upshifting? I have to keep the engine at idle and try several times. After it warms up it does better but overal it is hit and miss. I had put some yamalube in instead of victory oil on my last oil change and within 200 miles it started giving me fits. I have since changed back to victory oil but the problem wont go away. It happened last summer in 100 degree weather so I dont know if I have lost the temper in a spring somewhere. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there with the same problem. Oh and works fine on the downshifts.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Start with lubing your shift linkage / clutch cable ends (I use PB Blaster or white lithium grease spray) and checking your clutch cable adjustment. With luck this will fix the problem and none of your attempts to shift bent anything.

Oh yeah and welcome to the Victory Forums!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Anyone know what would keep my 2006 kingpin from upshifting? I have to keep the engine at idle and try several times. After it warms up it does better but overal it is hit and miss. I had put some yamalube in instead of victory oil on my last oil change and within 200 miles it started giving me fits. I have since changed back to victory oil but the problem wont go away. It happened last summer in 100 degree weather so I dont know if I have lost the temper in a spring somewhere. Just wondering if there is anyone else out there with the same problem. Oh and works fine on the downshifts.
Start your bike and put it in first gear with the clutch in. Without applying the brakes, see if the bike wants to walk forward by itself. If it does, it indicates that pulling in your clutch isn't fully disengaging the engine from the gear box. If that's the case, shifting up at certain rpm and load conditions can be more difficult.

If that is the case, adjust your clutch to engage/disengage closer to the default position of the clutch lever. That will allow you more travel to separate the clutch plates more thoroughly.

These mechanisms also have various little gizmos that can wear or break that can cause such problems, but the clutch is the easiest thing to try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts