Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2010 CR and for the past few days riding to work (yep been lucky like that) I have notice a slapping/knocking sound when I move the bike through corners. At first I thought it was my key fob but its not. I shake the bike with the bike off and I can hear that it is something knocking inside my take.

Does anyone know what this might be??? I looked down in it with a flash light and that was pretty useless as I can not see chit!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
:confused: I can only tell that nothing should be knocking, as I cannot hear anything when leaning the bike around.

Is your fuel gauge working properly?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your bike is still under warranty get it to the dealer ASAP!!
It is...

It sounds like something is floating inside the tank and tapping against the sides!!!

If the weather holds up this weekend I will take it in this weekend.

Rides fine and I may have never noticed it but I tried riding with earplugs the last couple of days. All the ATGATT guys say wearing earplugs is a good thing and I have been wearing my full face due to it being so cold so I been trying it. Man I can hear every part of my bike... kind of freaks you out at first! That's when I noticed it and shook it back and forth and made my wife track down the sound...

·
Registered
381 Posts
???

Have a 2010 CR and for the past few days riding to work (yep been lucky like that) I have notice a slapping/knocking sound when I move the bike through corners. At first I thought it was my key fob but its not. I shake the bike with the bike off and I can hear that it is something knocking inside my take.

Does anyone know what this might be??? I looked down in it with a flash light and that was pretty useless as I can not see chit!
Sounds to me like you might have "lost your marbles" & they somehow ended up in the fuel tank?:ltr::crzy:dance 1

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds to me like you might have "lost your marbles" & they somehow ended up in the fuel tank?:ltr::crzy:dance 1
FOR REAL!!!!!

The float of your fuel sender is coming apart
Kevin, last night when crossroads asked if my fuel meter was working it sparked me to think the same thing. I normally leave my TAC up on the display, I think I am going to switch it over to the fuel meter and see if she is moving... I am afraid you may be right!!!

Weather looks clear so I may be riding an hour to my dealership!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
FOR REAL!!!!!

Kevin, last night when crossroads asked if my fuel meter was working it sparked me to think the same thing. I normally leave my TAC up on the display, I think I am going to switch it over to the fuel meter and see if she is moving... I am afraid you may be right!!!

Weather looks clear so I may be riding an hour to my dealership!
Mine is not a guess. It may even read, but it is coming apart. The dealer can clip it all back together as it seems to have been an assembly issue. Tell the dealer to MAKE SURE they do an Ask Polaris on it, or they will not get paid for the job

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is not a guess. It may even read, but it is coming apart. The dealer can clip it all back together as it seems to have been an assembly issue. Tell the dealer to MAKE SURE they do an Ask Polaris on it, or they will not get paid for the job
Well the gauge is not moving... still full and I filled up at the start of the week!!!

Called the dealer and I will be taking it in Sat. He said he has never heard of this but would agree on the issue. He said something about it being all one piece and having to order it from Victory and that I would be down a week.!!!! DAMN!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Well the gauge is not moving... still full and I filled up at the start of the week!!!

Called the dealer and I will be taking it in Sat. He said he has never heard of this but would agree on the issue. He said something about it being all one piece and having to order it from Victory and that I would be down a week.!!!! DAMN!
Like I said. Have him do an Ask Polaris on it first. I'll bet money that it needs no parts, and can be fixed in an hour.The sender assembly was not properly clipped in place. Vic WILL pay for the repair if it is properly submitted. Again this is NOT a guess.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said. Have him do an Ask Polaris on it first. I'll bet money that it needs no parts, and can be fixed in an hour.The sender assembly was not properly clipped in place. Vic WILL pay for the repair if it is properly submitted. Again this is NOT a guess.
Very good! I will bring it up! Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Follow up

Ok so I got the call back from my dealership. The owner is also one of the techs and he is the one that called me.

Anyway he said that he pulled my tank apart and saw nothing that was wrong. He heard the same thing I did when I rocked the bike back and forth and was sure it was the same issue that KevinX said.

So he called Victory and talked to a tech and the tech said that they were aware of the problem that some notice it more than others. He took down my VIN and said he did not know if Victory would do a recall due to it not affecting anything other than being a pest and that Victory would address it in the 2012.

OK, I want to trust my dealer, they have been stand up folks from day one; but Abraham Lincoln stated it best "Trust but Verify".

What do you guys think? Is this just a design flaw or is smoke being blown up my back side?

Going to another dealer is not an option. I already have to ride an hour to get to this one. The next one is almost 6 hours away.

Thanks

BSD

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I say PM KevinX.

Also doesn't sound right that they will not fix it BUT if you go back to the 00 -01 transmission problem. I wouldn't out it past Vic to be that way.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Mine does not make that knock, no matter how hard I shake it, with full, half full, and empty tank. Either it doesn't do it, either I'm deaf. I can hear the fuel splashing inside the tank, and nothing else.

If the dealer thinks all bikes have this issue, you should grab one of their showroom floor, and ask them to shake it for you. If you're the problem by having super sensitive ears, you should hear each of their Crosses knock, right?

Does your fuel gauge work after all?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to pick it up today and as I got ready to get on the bike I flip through the setting on the spedo. Got to the screen for gas and a big ERROR was there!

I pointed it out and the dealer and tech both dropped what they were doing and started looking into right there. After hook the bike up to the computer they saw no issues so they started to tear the bike apart again. I stay right there and looked over their shoulder the whole way.

He pulled the tank apart again and showed me the float and showed how it knocks on the side the whole bit.

Turns out after almost 3 hours of missing with it, there is a little AND I MEAN LITTLE spring that pulls the connection together at the end of the float to the sender. Well in pulling float out this spring was streched a little to far from the weight of the float. We compressed the spring and got it everything working again.

While I waited for them to call Victory I went out an shook the hell of of various XR and XC they had on the floor. Out of 4 XC and 3 XR - 3 knocked.

The Salesman knew why I was there and started to laugh went I started to swing my leg over bikes and shake the **** out of them. He even started to help me listen.

The funny thing is now that I did all that - I HEARD NO KNOCKING the hour long ride home... GO FIGURE!!!!

Anyway I can not tell you how impressed I am with my dealership! Even though they did not catch the error prior to me getting there, they were stand up guys! They even let me listen in on speaker phone with Victory as I heard for myself that Victory is aware of the issue.

If I stop knocking maybe it was that SMALL ASS SPRING in the first place.

BSD

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
While I waited for them to call Victory I went out an shook the hell of of various XR and XC they had on the floor. Out of 4 XC and 3 XR - 3 knocked.
Wow, 3 out of 7 is more than 50%. How is it that you're the only one reporting this problem? How obvious is this knock? Do we need dog ears to hear it? Can you compare the knocking with anything else?

The funny thing is now that I did all that - I HEARD NO KNOCKING the hour long ride home... GO FIGURE!!!!
If I stop knocking maybe it was that SMALL ASS SPRING in the first place.
Got my fingers crossed for you! Let us know if the knocking returns.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
kevinx,
When I move my XR from side to side, I hear a little tapping sound within the tank, not the knocking sound bigseadaddy describes. My fuel gauge reads full, which is correct. Do I have anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow, 3 out of 7 is more than 50%. How is it that you're the only one reporting this problem? How obvious is this knock? Do we need dog ears to hear it? Can you compare the knocking with anything else?
well I have bad hearing...not even close to dog ears :ltr: 18 years in the military and years of riding motorcycles and I have much hearing lost. That said it is just a tap as you roll your bike from left to right and it is at the end of the tank close to your crotch.

kevinx,
When I move my XR from side to side, I hear a little tapping sound within the tank, not the knocking sound bigseadaddy describes. My fuel gauge reads full, which is correct. Do I have anything to be concerned about?
Ricz, you could say that what I hear is a tap. Not real loud but loud enough that you know its there. The full gauge still reads as normal. Mine never stopped working as there was nothing wrong with the bike. I know I said earlier that I thought it was not working but it was and once I leveled out the bike it dropped. The float on a XR/XC is on the kick stand side. If you do not level your bike before you start it, it takes forever for your meter forever to catch up. If you level your bike and then start it is an instant read. I learned this later.

I would bet money you are hearing the SAME thing I am and I know you asked Kevin but I would say you got nothing to worry about. The float in the XR and XC is at the narrowest part of the tank towards your crotch. The tapping on my was more noticeable at just below full to 3/4. At full I did not hear it and below 3/4 I would not hear it. Below 3/4 I would really have to shack the SOB to get it to knock.

Again, its all good now that I know what it is I am not worried about it at all.

BSD

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Hey Chief, what was your rating? I was a CT - Communication Technician. Interesting job. Until we hear more from Kevin, I'll assume we can retreat from General Quarters.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Chief, what was your rating? I was a CT - Communication Technician. Interesting job. Until we hear more from Kevin, I'll assume we can retreat from General Quarters.
Hahahah I am a CTA, well I was until Oct 08 when they started to merging CTA with YN, CTO with IT and they put a stop to CTM merging with ET. I still am in special programs just carry the YN badge now...it sucks!!!

I have a CWO package in now, trying to get back to the CT side of the house. 3 more weeks and I should know something!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts