Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on the 18th to look at a 07 kingpin on hold for me. It'll be my first bike and really the first nice anything I've purchased since graduating college. Needless to say I'm too excited. I have a knot in my stomach and I haven't done anything productive today other than lurk this forum.

·
12,968 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
1. Congrats.
2. Be patient grasshopper.
3. I envy that whole first bike excitement thing. I can't remember the first girl but I have never forgotten the first bike. I have had a slew of nice ones since then but none that gave me wood like number 1. I am talking about bikes here.
4. Do not, repeat do not, go right out and kill yourself. Practically all the roads will be there when you get up the next day so you aren't likely to miss too much by pacing yourself.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Going on the 18th to look at a 07 kingpin on hold for me. It'll be my first bike and really the first nice anything I've purchased since graduating college. Needless to say I'm too excited. I have a knot in my stomach and I haven't done anything productive today other than lurk this forum.
I know the feeling, I lost sleep as I waited for mine to come in after placing my order (it wasn't in stock).

So this is your first bike...do you have any riding experience or is this going to be you first experience on an engine with 2 wheels?

Whatever the answer, be careful...it's a lot of bike. You'll enjoy it and have miles of smiles. Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
1. Congrats.
3. I envy that whole first bike excitement thing. I can't remember the first girl but I have never forgotten the first bike. I have had a slew of nice ones since then but none that gave me wood like number 1. I am talking about bikes here.
4. Do not, repeat do not, go right out and kill yourself. Practically all the roads will be there when you get up the next day so you aren't likely to miss too much by pacing yourself.
Pop , That's really touching, and great advice to boot!thumb up

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
This here's your grandpa speakin'.....
Of course you've taken a rider course so ya know how to handle a bike that big and powerful?
Ya got cash in hand so ya don't go into debt at such a young age?
Ya got good ridin' gear that'll protect your tender hide if'n ya find yourself smackin' the pavement.
Good. Now ya go and git that bike, if'n it's a good fit in every way and enjoy life on it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have a friend who has a bike ask him to let you sit on it, as soon as he turns his head drop it and get it out of your system. He'll get over itthumb up

·
Registered
396 Posts
after not riding for some 20 years i purchased
myself a jackpot so i know where you are coming from.
jus take it easy and you will be fine.;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,982 Posts
1. Congrats.
Really Pop? You really can't remember your first love? I didn't think anyone ever forgot that one. Yes. I'm talking about your first lady love.

I will never forget mine and, of course, I will never forget the thrill of my first bike either; even though it was such a small and humble little bike. It was still powered by something other than my legs so even if it was small it was a huge improvement over what I had before then.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
First love, Maggie. First bike, Simplex Servi-Cycle. You won't find Maggie on line, but you can see a Simplex Servi-Cycle there. C'mon Pop, if I can remember 61 years back, you can go back fewer years than I have to. Or is the Frau looking over your shoulder?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyones advice really speaks to the quality of the people on this forum. Thanks for being so supportive. I have taken a 16 hour class for my license but even before that I've been on top of dirtbikes and Im confident with my ability to stay upright. having said that I'm obviously still a little nervous for my first bike and will most certainly be taking it slow. I know this is a whole lot of machine. But I'd rather grow into something than have to buy a bigger bike next season. The rest of this season will be spent just getting used to the bike and how it responds. Next year is when I really want to plan on putting some serious miles under my feet.

Having said that, lets talk about the bike a little.
Does 7,000 sound like a reasonable price for a kingpin with 10k on it. The thing looks spectacular and I plan on going to ride it before I buy it.
I'm a diesel mechanic for Ford and I know when I climb under a truck there are certain areas i look at more than other; E-brake pins pulled through, u joints, brake lines, brakes, rotors. Are there certain areas of the bike i should be looking at more than others?

Thanks again everyone. It's a bit rainy today so Im off to the DMV to get my endorsement put on my license and then either tomorrow or wednesday im off to see the bike. thumb up

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Nice looking rig. About the price tag and I ain' t being snide either. The question really is, is it worth 7 to you? Do a little research. Asking around is part of that but after all is said and done look at the machine, what it does for you and if what it does is seven grand worth.

Now, for my skeptical compatriots I remember the joint was in the unincorporated section of Fort Smith and I was tickled that they had beer and let me drink. I remember GI's and stockmen and Cherokee. I remember Charlie Rich on the jukebox. I remember being told that the mirror was from Belle Starrs place. I remember that her hair was red and I remember getting tuned up on buttons. I have it in my head that Nancy was her name but then again Pop was a Deep Purple fan and whenever I used to hear that song I was reminded of that time. Anyway it wasn't a romantic interlude. It was all business and my dads buddy George and his boy Theo made me promise not to ever tell the old man that they brought me over there. I never did.
So for Nancy or whoever, here's to you. I bet as little as I recall of you, you recall less of me. As it should be.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
You should have little difficulty adapting to the street with your dirt experience. I have none and friends I ride with who have ridden in the dirt are better than me in some areas.
$7K seems reasonable for my area, but maybe not for yours. Check the KBB, ebay and Craigslist to get a consensus. Remember, $7K is the ASKING price, especially if you can write the check for the full amount, work at sweetening the deal for yourself. Try offering $1.5K less and/or getting them to add accessories, such as fork mounted wind deflectors that will help to extend your riding season. See if you can get them to do a fluid service; oil, filter and brake bleed. However, if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, that's easy to do at home. As previously mentioned, have them clean the throttle bodies--that's a must.
Things to check for;
*Brake pads, but I wouldn't make that a deal breaker as the OEM pads aren't that great and should be replaced with EBC HH pads anyway.
*Loose steering head and wheel bearings. Bike needs to be on a lift to do that well.
*Clutch cable adjustment. There should be about 1/8" of slack at the bike end of the lever. Check often for this, you don't want the cable to tighten up on you.
*If the spark plugs are original, put new ones in. !0K is all you want to run them.
*The air pressure in the tires is very critical for street bikes. I'm guessing 38-40 front, 40-42 rear? Also, how do the tires look?
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
That's pretty good recallin' Pop. When breaking in to a new sport, its good to have a pro for a coach.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I dont think thats a bad price . I paid 7600 for this kp in spring of thid year. had 7500 mi on it.

traded it for my vision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for what to look at, I know I'd have had more negotiating room if I'd remembered to inspect the belt and the exhaust heads on mine before agreeing to a price; the front exhaust head, though well-concealed by the shield, had a decent layer of rust on it, and the belt was more worn, I think, than it should've been at 13.7K miles. Gaskets easy to look at, but an '07 shouldn't have any leaks if it's been well cared for (and it seems to me that most riders take much better care of their bikes than most cagers take of their cars). Check the lights, too, although that's probably a no-brainer. My dealer agreed, as part of the bargain, to replace the rear turn signals on the Hammer I got last week, and that ended up turning into a free replacement of the turn signal auto-cancel assembly, which is a pretty expensive part, never mind the labor. So that worked out well for me.
That said, nada.com values an '07 Kingpin with pipes, bags and a fairing at $7500ish, so 7K is a pretty good deal, but I'll bet you could get it lower, yet.
And congratulations! Though I'm no dirt bike rider, I do know those have a higher center of gravity than our monstrosities of bikes have, and I'm pretty sure pavement is a lot easier to ride on than dirt, so you'll probably adjust to your KP just fine. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts