Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I am writing this from northern Japan; I am active duty Air Force and have been in for almost 17 years, spending all of my time overseas. I have been on a motorcycle since I was six years old and currently own a Triumph Bonneville. I have always been a big fan of the Brit bikes, specifically the p-twin engine. I am now looking to put a cruiser in the shed along side my Bonnie. I currently have a 2011 HD Wide Glide on order but I'm starting to have second thoughts as I comb over the Victory bikes. Unfortunately, Victory does not have an overseas program like HD does for military members so this would mean I would have to wait until I finish my tour here in Japan and return to the states. I would like to get the cruiser but this isn't a show stopper for me as I already have the Trumpet.

I like the Wide Glide a lot but I have come across a couple maintenance stories that frankly...is starting to make me think about dropping my cash on it. I am military so it goes without saying that I am not a rich guy. The two bikes from Victory that really jump out and grab me are the Vegas 8 Ball and the Hammer 8. I am leaning towards the Vegas 8Ball because of the blacked out look but I am 6'4" and was wondering if my height is going to be a factor with the seat height of this bike. Any tall guys out there owning this bike and willing to share their opinions? I would love to hear your opinions/suggestions, especially any HD owners that have made the switch and how you feel about it. Thanks for taking the time reading and answering this.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
First, thank you for your service to our country.

Second, Victory offers a great military discount!!!

Third, there are forward control extensions that a Victory Rider makes for the Vic bikes. He and his wife are both over 6'0 so he made and sells them himself.

His name is Brian......[email protected]

You can't go wrong with either of those models. Both bikes you are looking at are great bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply Diamond and the email address for the individual that can help me out when it comes to the forward controls. You were right too, Victory does have a military program and we have to go through the military one source program. The only difference with this is that I have to take a state side delivery on the bike. This means I would need to finish my tour up here before getting my new bike when I return home. Good news is that I already have a perfectly good running Triumph so I am riding at the end of the day and I just got a quote from one source for a 2011 Vegas 8Ball for just barely over $11,000 :eek::clap: That price also includes the extended, unlimited mileage warranty.

So for almost $5,000 cheaper I can put this completely blacked out bike in my shed that is a 106 engine, overhead 4 cam and air/oil cooled engine. I am starting to think that I will have to get my head checked out if I don't jump on this. Would be nice to have it now but I only have a couple more years on this tour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can always have it shipped to you!! LOL $$$$$$$$$$
I looked into that and it would cost me about $2500 to get the bike over here. The other major problem is dealing with the Japanese government...we have to put our bikes through an import and emissions tests. This boils down to a brake certificate from the manufacturer, weights, and the emission test that consists of a hot test and cold test. The decibels are read off the pipes on the hot test and the cold test consists of the amount of fuel vapors exiting the bike. All in all....this about another $3,000 test. So now I am looking at a bike that Victory will sell to me for $11,000 costing me $16,500 before it is all said and done. I would love to have my cruiser now but it is looking like I need to ride my Triumph for a couple more years and have this bike waiting for me when I return home. I'm getting tired of dealing with foreign governments like this; all I want to do is ride the damn bike! It will be good to return home in a couple more years...I'm ready.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looked into that and it would cost me about $2500 to get the bike over here. The other major problem is dealing with the Japanese government...we have to put our bikes through an import and emissions tests.

Hey Mick, I'm over here in Germany, and had to deal with a lot of what you speak of. I emailed several dealers up and down the east coast until I found one that was willing to help me out, then found a shipping company and went to work. It's not an easy process, but I've had my Cross Country for about three weeks now and I'm having a blast! It was well worth the effort. Plus, Victory is giving a $1,000 military discount right now, so it prety much pays for your shipping (mine was $1,045). Not sure about the licensing hassle for you, as I was able to put mine into the military system over here. Still had to work it through customs, but that wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Send me a message off-line and I'll give you the info for my dealer and shipping company. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Mick, I'm over here in Germany, and had to deal with a lot of what you speak of. I emailed several dealers up and down the east coast until I found one that was willing to help me out, then found a shipping company and went to work. It's not an easy process, but I've had my Cross Country for about three weeks now and I'm having a blast! It was well worth the effort. Plus, Victory is giving a $1,000 military discount right now, so it prety much pays for your shipping (mine was $1,045). Not sure about the licensing hassle for you, as I was able to put mine into the military system over here. Still had to work it through customs, but that wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Send me a message off-line and I'll give you the info for my dealer and shipping company. Good luck!
Hey Expat...thanks for the information. I came from England before being stationed in Japan and I agree with you...the Europeans are much friendlier when it comes to this kind of stuff. I brought my Triumph into England and I just had to do the normal inspection/licensing/insurance that every other rider has to do. The kicker was that IF I sold the bike, then I would get nailed with all of the import taxes...pretty fair if you ask me. Japan is a different monster and they will soak you dry if you bring a bike over here. So much for our SOFA looking out for us. There is no way getting around the $3,000 to get the bike on the road. They say it is for emission standards in their country but guys bringing their American spec'd Hondas and Kawis have to go through the same exact thing. Harley tried dealing with them but then couldn't get their bikes to pass on the cold tests. To top it off, you get your bike to pass and you can buy 10 more certificates from the government for $500 each and sell them out on your own but has to be same make, model, and year...really sounds like emission standard protection huh:rolleyes: I'm thinking that I am going to get this bike but I just can't absorb the cost in bringing it over here...even with the military discount, the 8Ball will end up costing me $16,000 before its on the road ready to ride. This has really changed my outlook on the products we have for sale back home...we (USA) practice free market trade and countries like Japan can under sell us because of that. Come over here and a HD 883 Sporty will start at $15,000 because of the import tariff. Needless to say, I will be putting a Ford on order through military car sales when it is time to go back home.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I don't mean to sound too philosophical, but good things come to those who wait. I've waited for my Victory for about 10 months, pinching every penny - and unlike you having your Triumph, I was riding a 180cc scooter. My two cents: wait for her and she'll be that much sweeter cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not complaining whatsoever as I have said in earlier posts. The more I look into this bike, the more I like about it and Victory does have a program for military members where I can order the bike and have it waiting for me wherever I want in the USA. This is the route I am going to go. Sorry if it seems like I was griping; I've been overseas for 16 years and sometimes I guess I get frustrated over things. Couple more years and I will have my V-twin to park along side my P-twin. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts