Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Yes , its true, how Kool馃ぃ
after gutting out my mufflers on the 2010 XC, when I holesawed into tha back of them to enlarge the exit pipe after discovering I could sort of see through them,
Well there was minor baffling and fibreglass packing, which makes me think Ive gutted a set of Stage 1 mufflers?
Dunno , but while I was in there I decided to go the whole hog(apologies to pigs) and remove everything ( see seperate thread/post)
long story shorter
I fitted 2" perforated stainless tube up the guts surrounded by 2 hours if stuffing stainless potscrubbers up and welding the ends back with exit opened up to match factory tips, hence look stock but sound a bit tougher ( cams too, and Lloyyz intake filter)
Pro- Maximus Dyno tune too.
XC goes like a cut cat now and breathes like a marathon runner.
BUT MY RH BAG COULD KEEP A HOT CHOOK WARM ALL NIGHT!!!
seem the fibreglass wasnt just for sound absorption but heat beating too.
Though I never felt inside the bottom of my RH bag before the mod so dunno fer sure.....

Worried about heating the contents of the right bag and even possible fire I made a few phone calls then got on the net and googled "heat reflective tape"
Found an Aussie mob called Koolwrap who manufacture such tape in a few different size rolls and materials...
Confused, I rang them up and a knowledgable chap answered, I told him my problem and he reccomended a particular silver foil tape backed with fibreglass mat and sticky 5 metres by 2".
Well it arrived in a few days and yesterday morning while I still had the bags off I prepsolled the bottom of the RH bag and carefully measured prior to cutting.
First up , not wanting to compromise fit of bags I applied tape to underside of the resting pads and then applied to the undersurface of the bag, trimming and shaping for max coverage, just leaving to 5x4" sections where the bags rest on pads.
RH bag done I wondered if there was enough left girfor LH bag, well after duplicating coverage had 6 and a bit inches left over.
Refitted bags picked up a passenger and rode up over the mountain not sparing the horses.
Stopped and felt inside RH bag mild warmth barely felt, LH bag stone cold.....
Mission Accomplished!!!
and the bike seems to go even better than before!
Purely illusion Im certain.
Anyway its an Aussie product and follows contours beautifully, Ill post some pix and then a link to it. Also the '77 Aussie Dodge ute I just bought馃檪
20191114_110747.jpg
20191114_101346.jpg
20191114_104222.jpg
20191114_112004.jpg
Screenshot_20191113-134622_Chrome.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #2
Heres a link to the company, and your American dollar buys a lot more Aussie product right now.

Registered
Well, aren't you the clever one. I love those DIY projects that solve a problem. Nice ute too!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
yeah well mighta jumped the gun a bit.
Did a pickup n dropoff for a school formal dance yesterday.
Yes! on the XC , thats a first!
usually do that sorta thing with my car....
Anyway idling in traffic and extended slow stuff , the RH bag still got fairly warm....

Registered
Yes , its true, how Kool馃ぃ
after gutting out my mufflers on the 2010 XC, when I holesawed into tha back of them to enlarge the exit pipe after discovering I could sort of see through them,
Well there was minor baffling and fibreglass packing, which makes me think Ive gutted a set of Stage 1 mufflers?
Dunno , but while I was in there I decided to go the whole hog(apologies to pigs) and remove everything ( see seperate thread/post)
long story shorter
I fitted 2" perforated stainless tube up the guts surrounded by 2 hours if stuffing stainless potscrubbers up and welding the ends back with exit opened up to match factory tips, hence look stock but sound a bit tougher ( cams too, and Lloyyz intake filter)
Pro- Maximus Dyno tune too.
XC goes like a cut cat now and breathes like a marathon runner.
BUT MY RH BAG COULD KEEP A HOT CHOOK WARM ALL NIGHT!!!
seem the fibreglass wasnt just for sound absorption but heat beating too.
Though I never felt inside the bottom of my RH bag before the mod so dunno fer sure.....

Worried about heating the contents of the right bag and even possible fire I made a few phone calls then got on the net and googled "heat reflective tape"
Found an Aussie mob called Koolwrap who manufacture such tape in a few different size rolls and materials...
Confused, I rang them up and a knowledgable chap answered, I told him my problem and he reccomended a particular silver foil tape backed with fibreglass mat and sticky 5 metres by 2".
Well it arrived in a few days and yesterday morning while I still had the bags off I prepsolled the bottom of the RH bag and carefully measured prior to cutting.
First up , not wanting to compromise fit of bags I applied tape to underside of the resting pads and then applied to the undersurface of the bag, trimming and shaping for max coverage, just leaving to 5x4" sections where the bags rest on pads.
RH bag done I wondered if there was enough left girfor LH bag, well after duplicating coverage had 6 and a bit inches left over.
Refitted bags picked up a passenger and rode up over the mountain not sparing the horses.
Stopped and felt inside RH bag mild warmth barely felt, LH bag stone cold.....
Mission Accomplished!!!
and the bike seems to go even better than before!
Purely illusion Im certain.
Anyway its an Aussie product and follows contours beautifully, Ill post some pix and then a link to it. Also the '77 Aussie Dodge ute I just bought馃檪
View attachment 250700 View attachment 250701 View attachment 250702 View attachment 250703 View attachment 250704
Crikey!, nice Ute Mate.

Registered
yeah well mighta jumped the gun a bit.
Did a pickup n dropoff for a school formal dance yesterday.
Yes! on the XC , thats a first!
usually do that sorta thing with my car....
Anyway idling in traffic and extended slow stuff , the RH bag still got fairly warm....
So use header wrap around the muffler, before attaching the chrome trim back on.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
So use header wrap around the muffler, before attaching the chrome trim back on.
No mate, that **** causes the pipes to rust out over time

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9

Registered
I have a header on my 73 Dodge Dart, driven in humid climate for many years, with header wrap on pipe, 13 years. Pipe under the wrap, looks BETTER than the exposed pipe.
Just saying.

Registered
Yup I did the same to my right bag after I put the glass packs in. More heat, never melted anything but I had read of others having some issues. Which lead me to investigate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts