Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, as any of you who have tried to find a different option for handlebars knows, it's a difficult task and at best a guessing game for most. Unless you have access to an example of what you want to try against your bike, judging measurements on-line only comes close. Ordering parts by the shotgun method can get expensive.

I have no wrecker or dealer in my area with a selection of bars of any type nor am I acquainted with another KP rider with non-stock bars. Unfortunately my small Victory/Polaris/KTM/Honda/Yamaha local dealer carries no parts. Also no possibility of ordering parts just to try them or return them if they aren't quite what I'm after.

I've found most handlebars I find on-line cost almost as much as the dealer ones so I might as well go with them. I would appreciate assistance from someone who owns a 2011 KP and who has put the 2" pullback bars on the bike listed as part number 2876370 on the Victory website in Accessories - Handlbars. I just need some measurements which I can use to approximate how they will sit on my bike.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Maybe this will help. Measure what you have and figure out what you want to change. Bars are plentiful and cheap in any bend under the sun. Your bars are 1". Custom Chrome, J&P Cycles, Flanders....

2" pullbacks will bring the grips 2" closer to you, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info:), Yes, going through the math was the first thing to do. It's good for rough estimates however I do need a couple of more measurements builders do not provide. I do have other options but all add $$$ to the result. Yes I'm picky however being off can make a big difference to me after riding all day.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's nice you like yours. If they are what I end up with the fine but we're all built different and I'm certainly not going to kick out $420 to find out they're not quite right.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Victory in Canada 379 plus tax.

From your link 250 for the bars plus 150 shipping (used actual amount for mulitbar) plus conversion to Canadian dollar plus tax comes to 468.

I've ordered parts from the states in which shipping costs more than the part.

Thanks again but I really have done my homework and checked all this out prior to posting my request for information.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found ness ram bars on ebay last winter for 80.00 Wanted the fly bars But at that price I jumped on them Looking for a deal is 1/2 the fun for me anyway Keep looking you got all winter

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
From Victory in Canada 379 plus tax.

From your link 250 for the bars plus 150 shipping (used actual amount for mulitbar) plus conversion to Canadian dollar plus tax comes to 468.

I've ordered parts from the states in which shipping costs more than the part.

Thanks again but I really have done my homework and checked all this out prior to posting my request for information.
Yeah, OK.... never mind.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes I am riding with new bars. I've put on about 1000 km and they are pretty much exactly what I need.

As you've probably found out the there are a few problems finding the right handlebars. Dealers don't carry many options to hold on the bike and try out. Manufacturers have different ways of measuring their bars and don't include enough relevant info on their sites. Even if they are from a source that allows returns, trying various bars can get expensive on shipping.

The Vic bars were too short and straight. I found myself leaning forward too much which caused muscle strain in less than an hour. I also have a Mustang solo seat to take into account. I could ride my last bike all day without a problem.

I did the internet searching of the manufacturers but couldn't get enough detail to make a decision so I gave up and went another route. After hitting a few dealers and wreckers I found a used set that were a good starting point. A bit scratched up but for $20 I could do whatever I wanted and if I wrecked them, so what.

I made a few changes but in short, the knurling didn't line up exactly right for the risers so I smoothed down some on one side with a file and added some on the other by dimpling it with a hammer and punch. Using a long steel tube I spread the bars to 33 inches and then added 2 inches of end lift. I bent the grip angle to 45 degrees off center. Down angle for me is about 35 degrees but that is adjustable by moving the bars up or down in the risers. The Vic bars measure 10 inches from the center to the plane of the grip ends. My "new" ones are 14 inches so that meant extending the wiring harnesses and changing the cables. Backrest to the grips is right where I need it too. Very relaxed riding posture and still comfortable after six hours wandering on our very twisty roads.

For $20 and a couple of hours playing around with them I'm very please with what I ended up with so far. Really, it's not very difficult to do. I'll put a few thousand with them this summer and possibly tweak them a little bit. When the snow flies I'll take them to get them chromed.

If you are looking for bars you can just order and install my experience won't be much help. The best suggestion is to sit on the bike and hold your hands where you think you'd like the grips. Have someone measure the width of your hands and the distance from the risers to the line of your hands. That distance of the grips to the risers is for me one of the most important measurements but one they don't normally show. There are some good websites with lots of information but you may have to make some phone calls to get what you want.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts