Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing research, wife's letting me get a bike but within a price range.... Don't want to out grow it too quick. Been looking at shadows and boulevards. Found a 04 KP for a little over 4k. Your thoughts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Any riding experience at all ? Dirt bike, maybe ? And how big of a guy are you ? My first bike was a brand new Wide Glide. But I had off road experience, and I'm 6'3", 220 pounds. So there really aren't any bikes that make me feel as though I can't handle them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any riding experience at all ? Dirt bike, maybe ? And how big of a guy are you ? My first bike was a brand new Wide Glide. But I had off road experience, and I'm 6'3", 220 pounds. So there really aren't any bikes that make me feel as though I can't handle them.
6' 280 some dirt experience. Already scheduled my safety course also

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Not too big as a starter bike, because of it's low center of gravity and low seat, it will feel and handle like a much smaller displacement bike. The Kingpin is a solid choice and you should be happy on it without outgrowing it in 6-12 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice guys.....i think ill just go get a XR and have the wife nag at me while riding on back! lol
they are one sexy machine:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
It all depends on the loose nut holding the handlebars. Maturity and listening to the voices in your head (the ones that tell you not to do that, you do anyway, then regret it later), realizing your limitations and growing with your ability are a lot of it.
Weight is relevant as it is pretty much gone when in motion, and 600 pounds or 1000 pounds are too much to hold on to if it breaks balance anyway. You'll take a chance of hurting yourself. Invest in a good set of engine guards if it doesn't have them, then trust the investment.
Take your course and your time with it. Don't let someone drag you into something you aren't ready for. You can catch up faster than you think.
Use the device between your ears, your maturity, and good judgement, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I did have experience as I had ridden in the past. Mostly trail and dirt bikes as a kid into my 20's. My first street bike was a 450 Rebel. I sold it in my early 30s and had not ridden since. My first bike back was a 04 Kingpin, after 20 years of not riding. It was a good bike to start back with, as CrossRoads said they are low and pretty easy to maneuver. If you take the MSF coarse that should give you an idea of how much bike you can handle. I started out slow on it sticking to low traffic and day time riding only until I felt comfortable. It is a fairly heavy bike but I think for a guy your size it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
there is always several in eBay. Don't know where you're from.... Your info isn't posted under your user name. But to have a bike shipped from one side of the country to the other is typically 600 dollars. If you find one you can't live without, the 600 dollars would be a fair price, IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
thanks for the advice guys.....i think ill just go get a XR and have the wife nag at me while riding on back! lol
Prolly better off getting your sea legs on something less expensive. Newbies tend to drop bikes more often than they run into semis at 140 mph. Better to drop something that isn't going to lose a lot of value until you become comfortable. Then by all means trade that bike in for a sexy XR!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Prolly better off getting your sea legs on something less expensive. Newbies tend to drop bikes more often than they run into semis at 140 mph. Better to drop something that isn't going to lose a lot of value until you become comfortable. Then by all means trade that bike in for a sexy XR!
I agree. Get that Kingpin for now, and in a year or two you can sell it without losing a penny, and get the XR then. Otherwise it will hurt 4 times more when you drop a bike that's 4 times more expensive. ;)

By the way, having a nagging wife in the back is not for the novice rider. You need some miles under your butt before you get your co-pilot on board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. Get that Kingpin for now, and in a year or two you can sell it without losing a penny, and get the XR then. Otherwise it will hurt 4 times more when you drop a bike that's 4 times more expensive. ;)

By the way, having a nagging wife in the back is not for the novice rider. You need some miles under your butt before you get your co-pilot on board.
i agree. changing plans getting something cheap to learn on and then ill totally upgrade

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
i agree. changing plans getting something cheap to learn on and then ill totally upgrade
It will make learning easier knowing you're on a $4k bike instead of a $15k bike. And don't feel like you're getting less of a bike, because the Kingpin is plain awesome. cheers

·
Registered
837 Posts
You could just own one of each. Not the smartest thing to do, but a lot of fun. cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 1st bike was a Suzuki SV650.

Great bike, and plenty of oomph. Sure it ain't a cruiser, but you won't be too upset if you drop it like you would a KP.

KP is 700lbs. I dunno, seems like a lot of bike for a 1st bike, but if you're mature, and use common sense, guess it'll be ok.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well I suppose I have to be the single crazy voice among you logicial, deep thinkers. Yes the Kingpin is heavy and a dumping a $2,000 750 Shadow will not break your heart if the front wheel slides on sand or wet leaves. If you don't buy it for that reason, then OK--I get it. But, I am 6'1" and 270 and I love the KP because it is the most nimble seat of the pants ride I have owned in years. IT IS NOT TOO BIG FOR YOU! I personally think it is preztle logic buying a bike because you expect to drop\crash it. You buy it to ride. How many airplane pilots buy a small plane just in case they crash it-- and then plan to buy a bigger nicer plane later. :D (maybe that is not a good comparison)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
first bike

harley sportsters are said to be a starter bike but my 13 hammer handles easier! i also own a triumph bonneville at under 500 lb it handles very good and is soooo easy to ride. being a bigger guy upgraded shocks will prolly be needed on most any bike. getting a license and test riding is your best bet!!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Well I suppose I have to be the single crazy voice among you logicial, deep thinkers. Yes the Kingpin is heavy and a dumping a $2,000 750 Shadow will not break your heart if the front wheel slides on sand or wet leaves. If you don't buy it for that reason, then OK--I get it. But, I am 6'1" and 270 and I love the KP because it is the most nimble seat of the pants ride I have owned in years. IT IS NOT TOO BIG FOR YOU! I personally think it is preztle logic buying a bike because you expect to drop\crash it. You buy it to ride. How many airplane pilots buy a small plane just in case they crash it-- and then plan to buy a bigger nicer plane later. :D (maybe that is not a good comparison)
Thank you, I was about to chime in that starting small is silly... just drive it slow and careful and by yourself until you have good control of it.... we don't all drop and crash our first 'small' motorcycles and then not drop and crash the big ones we eventually get... we drop and crash those too.

:cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yea I agree getting a cheaper bike because you think you might dump it is not a good mind set. I went with a cheaper bike for my first when I got back to riding, not because I was worried I was going to crash, but because I had not ridden in 20 years and I wanted to make sure that riding a bike was still for me. I told myself I would keep it at least 6 months, and if I still enjoyed it I would upgrade. It was hard though, about a month after I got the bike I went to a demo event at my local dealer. I rode the VV and the XC and I as they say I wanted to own one. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts