Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the kuryakyn chrome primary cover about 6 months ago along with some black bolt head covers for contrast. Everything was cool till about 2 months ago. I went out to warm the bike up and noticed a thin line of oil coming from one bolt head, but no drop on the floor. tightened that bolt a little more. and it seems to go away. today i went out and had only had a small amount of oil, but after a short 5 mile ride to the gas stations there is a thin fil of oil on most of the cover. i feel like i followed the instructions and torqued the bolts properly. my bike has only seen occasional use lately do to life issues, but i do start it weekly. do the gaskets dry out if not ran hot regularly?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Gonna do some guessing here....
+ Did you use a new gasket?
+ Did you scrape the mating surfaces perfectly clean?
+ Did you gradually torque (to spec) the bolts in stages and in a criss-cross pattern?
+ Could be the cover's mating surface is not perfectly flat.
+ Are you referring to the primary cover (the big casting) of the trim that covers the black portion adjacent to it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ric, i did not remove the primary cover only the tree bolts that hold the upper piece in place. after the top part was installed i remove and replaced one bolt at a time.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking you meant the large casting.

·
13,003 Posts
Take bolt out put flat washer on it and put bolt back in you should be fine
the allen bolt is not applying enough pressure there

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
So... Funny story. I was at AZ bike week last year. Fifteen guys in a mansion at Troon North? 1 victory and 14 Harley's. We get loaded around the pool one night and everyone gets to bed at about 5am.. I am one of the last ones up at 9ish. We are supposed to go meet some other Alberta boys and ride to Sedona. I roll into the garage as everyone is pulling there bikes out. I start digging in the saddlebag for my gloves and helmet. I glance down and there is a puddle of oil under my bike, drip marks from one of the upper primary bolts. I start yarding tools out and am swearing like a trucker... I notice my buddy Dan is awfully quiet and not teasing me about my Vic. I reach down and dip my finger in the oil. It smells and tastes like bacon.. Dan cooked bacon and then poured some of the dirty grease out of the pan directly down the primary to make it look like it was coming out or near one of the bolts... I guess I deserved it as I raced him and beat his 110" CVO 4 out of 5 tries the day before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts