Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry, tried to post pictures of Kuryakyn Silver Bullets mounted on my XC, but failed. I'm not good at this computer stuff. But this can be viewed under my proflie.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, tried to post pictures of Kuryakyn Silver Bullets mounted on my XC, but failed. I'm not good at this computer stuff. But this can be viewed under my proflie.

Those are nice lights and the perfect size for that application imo. Describe how you ran the wires?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I used the Victory switch, about $26.00 if I remember correctly. It's a quality piece. First tried the cheapy $7 kind from an auto parts store, but it broke apart mounting it in the slot. First remove both painted tipover bar covers. I ran a 12 guage wire thru the left switch hole down thru the triple tree and followed the Victory wire harness along the left side of steering head back, then down the wire loom/harness to the back side of the battery. I left myself plenty of wire, because I plan on having the dealer wire it into the accessory connection under the tank when I have them replace the air filter. Low on this wire, as close to the battery as I could , I spliced in a 10 amp covered fuse. But I left it where I could access it if it blew and I needed to get to it. Then ran 2 wires down thru the switch hole, one going to the right side and one to the left side. (foloowing the Victory harness/cables) Ran those wires across the top of the tipover bars (zip tied as needed). The wires run between the horizontal & vertical bars down to the lights. The brackets are actually exhaust brackets I got at the J&P store in Daytona. I removed the front bolt out of the tipover bar & loosened the rear. I was able to flex the vertical & horizontal bar apart to slide the bracket up between the bars and slipped in the bolt. The rear bolt is then spaced out using stainless flat washes the thickness of the bracket. Made my connections at the switch and battery and was finished. I used the large Silver Bullets(about 2 1/2" in diameter) that have the wire exiting the chrome housing with the solid bolt. They come with 20 watt bulbs, but I replaced them with 35's ($6 apiece) that I got from Custom Dynamics, They also make a compatible LED that fits, about $45 a piece. Hope this answers your questions.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They look very nice. Thank you for the helpful instructions also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dumb question. Where is the "manage attachment"? See I told you I wasn't computer literate!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Dumb question. Where is the "manage attachment"? See I told you I wasn't computer literate!!!!!!!
When you reply, above the text box where you type, among a bunch of other icons, you should see a paper-clip icon. Click that, and the "manage attachment" window will pop-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lets see if this worked!!! What do ya know!! Top pic shows the bracket, Middle -no lights on, Bottom- headlight & Silver Bullets lighted
Thanks CrossRoads !!!!
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They look awesome. I love the position you've chosen for the install. Have you installed a vertical bracket to which the lights are mounted on? If yes, is it sandwiched between the vertical and horizontal members of the crash bars? Would you take another close-up or two showing us your handy work?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you look close at the top picture, you'll see the bracket that the Silver Bullet is attached to & the bracket going up between the horizontal & vertical roll bar.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
If you look close at the top picture, you'll see the bracket that the Silver Bullet is attached to & the bracket going up between the horizontal & vertical roll bar.
Yes, I thought that's what I was seeing, but I wanted to double check. Very nice solution. Is there a gap anywhere at the top elbow of the roll bar now that the bracket is sandwiched in there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I thought that's what I was seeing, but I wanted to double check. Very nice solution. Is there a gap anywhere at the top elbow of the roll bar now that the bracket is sandwiched in there?
If you're referring to the painted top cover to the vertical chrome, yes. But very little. Not really noticible at all. The bracket I used was 1/8" thick, but it doesn't seem to open it up that much by the naked eye.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Nice lights. Also worth considering are Clearwater LED lights. They are small 2" dia. X 2" deep), very high quality and high tech, exceedingly bright (adjustable via handlebar mounted rheostat) and draw less than 2 watts. They connect to both high and low beams, so you don't go blind when you have to dim for an oncoming car. They have bike specific mounting hardware and on the Cross bikes, they utilize the lower cowling bolt - very clean. See mine near the bottom of the crash bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
They have bike specific mounting hardware and on the Cross bikes, they utilize the lower cowling bolt - very clean. See mine near the bottom of the crash bar.

RICZ- How well do the lights work being mounted so low? I have a pair of HIDs I'm planning on installing, but was going to mount them on the forks so they'd be a bit higher. Problem is trying to find a P-clamp large enough to fit. Anyone know where to get a 55mm clamp?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The goldwing's have their driving lights down low, in fact much lower and inward. On coming traffic can see them easily and they offer good lighting right where ya need it.

I suspect the light offers good lighting for both on coming traffic and rider.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
RICZ- How well do the lights work being mounted so low?
They work very well, as you want to present as big a triangle of lights to oncoming traffic as possible. One advantage to these Clearwater LEDs is they are indestructible, so can survive being mounted on the brake calipers.

When you have your high beams on, these lights are on full (gawdawful) bright. When you switch to low beam, they go down to whatever level you have set them to with the handlebar mounted rheostat. I have mine at 1/3 power so as to not irritate oncoming drivers.

The beam is fairly wide to provide a good peripheral view at night.

Google "Clearwater LED lights" and check out the reviews and videos to see for yourself.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
They ought to be good for $475
Mention you are a forum member and that'll get you a 15%(?) discount. Not cheap, but I couldn't find anything else out there to my liking. I chalk the price up to a one time life insurance premium. You won't believe how sophisticated and techy these lights are.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I chalk the price up to a one time life insurance premium.
They only need to save you one accident (deductibles are usually $500) and they've more than paid for themselves. I also like the under 2 watt power consumption. They're on my "to buy soon" list. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts