Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle land speed record holder Valerie Thompson survives 343 mph crash

Women’s motorcycle land speed world record holder, Valerie Thompson, survived a horror crash in Australia on Monday when her streamlined bike crashed at 343 mph.

Thompson was going for the overall two-wheel record of 376 mph during the World Speed Trials on Lake Gairdner when something went wrong during her run and the bike fell onto its side, digging a deep trench into the salt flats and spreading wreckage over a mile.

I'd say any crash at 343 mph you can walk away from is a damn good crash - as crashes go.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Valerie Thompson has set a number of records. The run involving the crash and other of her records were set in a "Streamliner" which are fully enclosed 'rocket' looking motorcycles.

In 2011, I was able to scratch one of the bucket list by being a part of a team that raced at Bonneville in a 500cc motorcycle class. One morning we were lining up to make the "back run" to confirm the record we had set the day before. In line in front of us was Leslie Porterfield. She was the first woman to break 200mph on a conventional motorcycle, setting a record ( the average of a first or "out run" exceeding the previous record and a second day confirming or "back run" that also exceeds the previous record) at 209 mph. During her runs that week she set a single run average high speed of 232 mph. In 2009 she bested her own record on the last day of Speed Week with an "out run" of 240 mph and a "back run" of 228 mph (the only day in which both an "out run" and "back run" may both be made) for a record speed of 234 mph. Oh, and did I mention how HOT she is!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
12,984 Posts
Valerie Thompson is an American motorcycle drag and land speed racer. She is a 7-time motorcycle land-speed record holder and charter member of the Mojave Magnum "200 MPH Club." In 2012 she was selected to drive the North American Eagle Project jet car for an attempt to break the 512 mph land speed record for a woman.
Shes 5o years old.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I will add that Lake Gairdner in Australia is the place to go FAAAAST
Bonnevilles salt has sadly deteriorated badly.
And yes she is HOT!

·
Registered
545 Posts
...Bonnevilles salt has sadly deteriorated badly...
Yes it has. It was already fragile when we were there in 2011. One of the "tracks" was closed that year. The "Save The Salt Coalition" has been working for a number of years now to rebuild the salt layer and save the Salt Flats.

Racing on the Salt Flats has been a piece of Americana since the first speed record set there in 1914. If you love fast cars and fast bikes, if you love the sound of roaring exhausts and smell of high octane fuel, if you love the excitement of insane speed, make it to Speed Week while the salt will still support it.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Yes it has. It was already fragile when we were there in 2011. One of the "tracks" was closed that year. The "Save The Salt Coalition" has been working for a number of years now to rebuild the salt layer and save the Salt Flats.

Racing on the Salt Flats has been a piece of Americana since the first speed record set there in 1914. If you love fast cars and fast bikes, if you love the sound of roaring exhausts and smell of high octane fuel, if you love the excitement of insane speed, make it to Speed Week while the salt will still support it.
Thanks for the update but its a lot closer/easier for me to get to the Lake Gairdner Speed Week inAustralia than it is to Bonneville.
That said , its not easy as it is literally in the middle of nowhere and anyone venturing out there has to be totally self sufficient.
In a few years youll all be coming here to go fast.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
That said , its not easy as it is literally in the middle of nowhere and anyone venturing out there has to be totally self sufficient.
In a few years youll all be coming here to go fast.
Ok thats it, I'm coming over and ride MbX C90 to the salt flats and break the C90 speed record ..

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
545 Posts
...In a few years youll all be coming here to go fast.
We do have an option, the El Mirage dry lake bed in southern California. While the site and event itself are far more limited than Bonneville, it is an option.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Ok thats it, I'm coming over and ride MbX C90 to the salt flats and break the C90 speed record ..

Andre using TaPaTaLk
If Australia is anything like Bonneville there is a class for that.

·
12,984 Posts
George Moe is a local victory club member and did Bonneville in 2010

In fact, there were cruisers galore on the Salt Flats this past September, and among them were a good number of Victory machines. Gregor Moe set a new national speed run record of 165.8 mph on a Victory Kingpin at the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials. Moe's first timed mile run clocked in at 166.004 mph. At Bonneville though, once isn't good enough, as records are determined by averaging two runs. Moe backed it up with a second run of 165.6 mph, giving him the average of 165.8 mph for the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) record books. Moe's Kingpin ran in the 2000-M-AG class which includes bikes of up to 2000cc with modified frames that are gas-powered without turbos or superchargers. The Kingpin was running a 110-cubic inch Victory Freedom engine prepped by Lloydz Motorworkz, from Pine Bush, N.Y., Modifications include a Lloydz cam package, intake and fuel mapping.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
We do have an option, the El Mirage dry lake bed in southern California. While the site and event itself are far more limited than Bonneville, it is an option.
An option Valerie Thompson chose not to take.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
George Moe is a local victory club member and did Bonneville in 2010

In fact, there were cruisers galore on the Salt Flats this past September, and among them were a good number of Victory machines. Gregor Moe set a new national speed run record of 165.8 mph on a Victory Kingpin at the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials. Moe's first timed mile run clocked in at 166.004 mph. At Bonneville though, once isn't good enough, as records are determined by averaging two runs. Moe backed it up with a second run of 165.6 mph, giving him the average of 165.8 mph for the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) record books. Moe's Kingpin ran in the 2000-M-AG class which includes bikes of up to 2000cc with modified frames that are gas-powered without turbos or superchargers. The Kingpin was running a 110-cubic inch Victory Freedom engine prepped by Lloydz Motorworkz, from Pine Bush, N.Y., Modifications include a Lloydz cam package, intake and fuel mapping.
Interesting....where'd you find that VJ?
Obviously he had the speed limiter removed too but wonders at the frame modufications part of it.
Thats a record Id consider taking a crack at during SpeedWeek DownUnder.
We only live twice!:devil

·
Registered
545 Posts
Andre using TaPaTaLk
I'm sure you could. Here is a 50cc French bike that folded up and fit in a suitcase-like shipping container and traveled in checked baggage on the team's flight. One day they made a run just in front of us on the 4 mile track. Took a while for them to complete the run. :laugh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Crash

Got to meet her at a motorcycle shop in Scottsdale a few years back. If I remember correctly they showed a movie and then she spoke afterwards. Seemed like a very nice lady. Glad she is ok.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Got to meet her at a motorcycle shop in Scottsdale a few years back. If I remember correctly they showed a movie and then she spoke afterwards. Seemed like a very nice lady. Glad she is ok.
Would like to meet her sometime. Would be great if it was at a speed event and I could not only talk to her but see her in action.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
cool

That would be cool. ...........Few years back I tried to talk my dad and brothers into going to Bonneville. Never made it, he passed a few years back. IT could have been a cool trip. The old guy really got a kick out of the movie "The Fastest Indian", I did too. Pretty amazing for a guy that never rode he really enjoyed that movie. I did get him to ride my old GS550 down the street years ago one time. He dumped it turning around, which I did forewarn him about before he rode it. He did get a kick out of riding the old Honda MiniTrail 50cc. The little 50cc got ripped off a year later, never got it back, but what good memories from a fun little bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts