Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
oops.....late edit...................see below post

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thats not a typo folks- lash (not rash, which we will not go into here.......)
So just to clarify; lash is if you get bad jerks/jerkiness when you roll on and off the throttle. I get bad lash when cruising at at low revs and gently roll on and off the throttle between 1 and 2 thousand rpms, in say 4th or 5th gear- it's marked by quite a loud metalic snap/crack sound. For some reason it's gotten worse since I bought it, but if I ride one of the shops demo bikes they dont have it. I've had my bike now for 1 year 3 mths, and done 10k klms (6k miles). This is the only complaint I have about it, otherwise I cannot fault it.

I adjusted the throttle cable to lessen the throttle sensitivity, and lubed everything- it didnt work.

So just wondering if anyone else has had it?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thats not a typo folks- lash (not rash, which we will not go into here.......)
So just to clarify; lash is if you get bad jerks/jerkiness when you roll on and off the throttle. I get bad lash when cruising at at low revs and gently roll on and off the throttle between 1 and 2 thousand rpms, in say 4th or 5th gear- it's marked by quite a loud metalic snap/crack sound. For some reason it's gotten worse since I bought it, but if I ride one of the shops demo bikes they dont have it. I've had my bike now for 1 year 3 mths, and done 10k klms (6k miles). This is the only complaint I have about it, otherwise I cannot fault it.

I adjusted the throttle cable to lessen the throttle sensitivity, and lubed everything- it didnt work.

So just wondering if anyone else has had it?
Cure for your Lash is riding at higher RPMs. That's how the bike is designed and built to operate, so if you change your riding habits a bit, you'll be lash free. Try to keep the RPM above 2500 - you should never be in the 1-2k range, at least not on this bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cure for your Lash is riding at higher RPMs. That's how the bike is designed and built to operate, so if you change your riding habits a bit, you'll be lash free. Try to keep the RPM above 2500 - you should never be in the 1-2k range, at least not on this bike. ;)
yeah I know.....it's just when basically idling, and it shouldnt "snap" the way it does.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
As in Madam Lash?:D

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Madame Lash? Give me Miranda Kerr and I'll show you rash!

I'm surprised that no one else has the same lash problem- it's enough to severely piss me off from time to time......

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey mate- your in the blue mountains right? Have you had the shop look at it? Any fixes?

No, I live on the northern beaches. Ride in the mountains fairly often though.
I am putting the Judge in for the 8K service at Victory Ashfield shortly, and will let you know what they say and if anything they do makes a difference.
I do find it has a fair bit of snatch at lower speeds. Sometimes annoying in traffic. May just be a characteristic of the brand?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I live on the northern beaches. Ride in the mountains fairly often though.
I am putting the Judge in for the 8K service at Victory Ashfield shortly, and will let you know what they say and if anything they do makes a difference.
I do find it has a fair bit of snatch at lower speeds. Sometimes annoying in traffic. May just be a characteristic of the brand?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
OK. Im northside as well. The shop know about it but cant fix it- but good luck anyway. And yeah it is a problem with the brand- notice the adverts say (or did when I bought mine) "new trans reduces lash by 30%" or something along those lines. Let me know how you go.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If what you are describing is what I think it is, my bike does that as well. But, it is in a higher gear at low RPM's climbing a hill behind slow traffic. All I do is down shift to 1st and it is gone. But like someone said previously, ride in higher RPM's. I try and stay above 2k, sometimes 2.5k.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
YES EXACTLY...I myself got caught short in too high a gear and got the drivetrain snatch spoken of, banged her down 2 cogs and off we went.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are big slow reving engines- you shouldnt need to keep revs above 2k.........like any cruiser I would think (this is my first so I am no expert). I doubt this would happen to a VStar or Shadow. Does it happen to Hogs?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The Vics love to rev , they lug badly under 2000 RPM's . Keep the revs between 2500-3500 RPM's and see how that feels ... I have had many bikes over the years and my Vic had the most complex learning curve I've seen . thumb up

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Krisd, no offense mate but possibly you're on the wrong bike for the type of riding you like to engage in,
I thought like you too and revelled in the torque available on my 1200 mile return trip after buying mine in Melbourne, probably just as well it had 14,000 ks on it already tho I didnt lug it to the point of drivetrain snatch as I was mostly Pacific Hwy quick cruising.
Thanks to your thread I'm now fully aware and on yesterdays ride to suss my shifting problems I kept her up around 3000 and definitly not lugging under 2000, and she sang a sweet song.
Love my Victory! (or is it Lust :)
PS..on my Judge test ride 2 weekends ago the salesman said when introducing the black beast "you know how to ride one of these Victories?"...I said yes I've got a Vegas 100....
he said, "ride it in 4th, and definitly dont use 6th gear under 100kph. Don't lug it"

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update to my lash issue; the history is that my bike had a particularly bad case of lash since the day I got it (backlash when rolling the throttle on and off at say 2.5rpms in a low gear would cause my head to whip back and forward), and I only know of one other bike out of about 50 Victory's here in Sydney who also had a case as bad as mine.

I dropped my bike off at a new bike shop that 2 ex-employees of Victory Sydney (they left to start their own business). One day later and after they machined the left hand primary assembly my lash is cured.

This is a farking revelation for me- my bike can now roll along smoothly at low RPM, like any cruiser or V-twin should be able too, while I roll the throttle backwards and forwards.

They fixed the one thing that really really used to piss me off with my bike- hallelujah!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I notice a "lash like" issue...but only when I'm slowing for a turn. I shift down to first and I let out the clutch. As soon as I roll onto the throttle to start the turn, the bike lurches forward hard. I may be letting the revs drop too low as I shift into 1st. But, it seems like if I don't let them drop down low enough, I bark that rear tire and get scared about losing traction...

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That doesnt sound like the same issue bm0nty72- try entering the corner in 2nd gear but feather the clutch as you turn back out.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts