Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Sorry i know this is an old thread but does this work if the cruise doesnt hold steady but surges? mine speeds up and slows down constantly. Or what else should i look into?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Poor connections on your PCV will do that. Mine did twice. The second time I used dielectric grease and it's not happened since.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I will keep that in mind also. thanks. its always been funky though and surged, but i just swapped my bars and did a 1/4 turn throttle so i had to adjust the push cable so right now that makes the most sense. But i will look into the connections next if its not the cable.

Reactions: Jim in Ellijay

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Ok just reread the instructions before going out to do this. It says to press and hold thr resume and on/off buttons? do i hold the on or the off or both?I noticed i do have quite a bit of slack in my cruise cable at the throttle body so i am going to try this to see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Has anyone else done this following these instructions? I cant get it to work as described, the light doesnt go out but i can get it to flash, but still does nothing to the idle and cruise still speeds up and slows down constantly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How long should it take for the cruise control indicator lamp to go out (step 4)? I held the buttons for several minutes and the lamp never went out. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After re-reading this post. Seems as though I forgot to post my problem. Turns out that the throttle push cable was binding occassionly, and had to be replaced. That was done back in 2011. Now I have another problem, which I've posted recently.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I didn't think Floridians hibernatedcheers

Only us Northerners
I was never hibernating. I was protesting the silly rule here that says you can not so much as mention any other Victory related forum, club, or group

·
13,318 Posts
You mean they don't think we search for other forums.
I don't much care for that 3 letter forum

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's the procedure for erratic cruise control operation. Given to me by a Victory Tech.

1-Press & hold the resume & on/off buttons on the cruise control switch.
2-Turn the ignition switch on.
3-While holding both buttons, start the engine.
4- After the engine starts, watch the cruise indicator lamp on the indicator display until it goes out.
5-When the cruise control lamp goes out, release both buttons at the same time.
6-Press & hold the resume . the cruise indicator lamp should illuminate.
7-Listen for a brief increase in engine RPM(very slight RPM increase)as the cruise control module performs the procedure.
8- Release the resume button when the RPM drops down to idle speed & turn off engine.

The procedure is used when replacing the cruise control cable. The procedure takes any slack or free play out of the cruise cable where it connects to the throttle body.

This is compliments of kevinx01, tech at Gainsville Victory, I believe.
Thanks for the info. This has been a long problem (working or not....couldn't figure out why). I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried this method. I didn't cure the situation but it did slightly tighten the wire. The Green light came on and I held the two buttons forever until my hands gave out. When I let go, the light went out. When I pushed the Resume button and held it, the cruise light started to blink and never turned out.

I'm wondering if the wire is so stretched that it needs to be manually tightened at the engine and then try to process again.

We had a long test drive. It still wouldn't work but half the time.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
What are you trying to cure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are you trying to cure?
Sorry I didn't see your return question. But my cruise control would turn on but it wouldn't set half the time. Then it became worse and worse. What I did to cure it was to tighten the cables. I adjusted the wires underneath the throttle. I also use two different sequence to reset it. One was found on this website and then the other one was found on YouTube with a guy who's popular and shows you how to do things from his garage. Can't remember his name right off in. So far I'm cured

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,209 Posts
Probably Paul.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When was the last time you cleaned the two brake sensors and throttle sensor by the tank?

The cruise control on my 12’ XCT was acting up when I got the bike. It would not set or if it did, it would not stay engaged. Spent a few minutes with a nylon brush & degreaser on each sensor and the connections to them. The CC system is good to go now.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts