Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode out about 11am there was just a light breeze and in the upper 70's. Stayed on the Farm to Marked roads and traffic was very light. Riding through the cotton fields. No one has stated stripping their cotton yet. I didn't even see any cotton defoliated ether. I hope it's nice enough Christmas day and New Years to ride. We haven't did a New Years day ride in several years. A group of us ride a hour or two then head to the Cantina to eat. I fix a big pot of black eyed peas with hot Italian sausage cooked in it. It's damn good after a chilly ride and everyone likes it. I hope the weather cooperates this year.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I've rode every New Years day for fifteen years except last year, too much snow on the road.

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The weather is so nice here right now that today I went to extend the insurance on my bike for another month because it runs out on Thursday. At $1858 per year I don't insure the bike for the winter when I don't usually ride. I'm in one of the few places in the GWN where I can ride because snow is a rarity but I HAAATE riding in the rain. Anyway, I couldn't extend the insurance because they say I have to renew for 3 months. I could do 15 days but the penalty charges (??? government insurance) were way too high. So as a last ride I got out today on the twisties for a few hours on a great fall day. All sun, no wind, zip for traffic, perfect. Work tomorrow so can't get another one in before it runs out. I'll change the oil this weekend, put a coat of wax on it and plug in the tender. 😢 Time to start looking for a Christmas present for it to make it feel better.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,955 Posts
$1800+ per year. 😮
We really got nothing to complain about in insurance pricing down here.

Reactions: TNXR

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Ouch, $1,800 a year in a country where most can not ride year around (easily). Sounds like Canada doesn't want their citizens on motorcycles.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The weather is so nice here right now that today I went to extend the insurance on my bike for another month because it runs out on Thursday. At $1858 per year I don't insure the bike for the winter when I don't usually ride. I'm in one of the few places in the GWN where I can ride because snow is a rarity but I HAAATE riding in the rain. Anyway, I couldn't extend the insurance because they say I have to renew for 3 months. I could do 15 days but the penalty charges (??? government insurance) were way too high. So as a last ride I got out today on the twisties for a few hours on a great fall day. All sun, no wind, zip for traffic, perfect. Work tomorrow so can't get another one in before it runs out. I'll change the oil this weekend, put a coat of wax on it and plug in the tender. 😢 Time to start looking for a Christmas present for it to make it feel better.
wow 53canuck...have you got major tickets or something? I have a 2010 xc and I pay $885.48 a year with full coverage $500 deductable...time for you to look at other insurance companies give me a pm I'll give you my insurance guys phone number...

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pay a little over 300 dollars a year for full coverage on my XC.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I pay a little over 300 dollars a year for full coverage on my XC.
I was dating a gal down in KY for several years...here in canada I pay 2400 for my car and my bike....when i checked in KY what my insurance would cost there this was 4 years ago now....they wanted 480 a year for the same coverage I have here in canada.... almost 2000 a year less in the USA as to what i was paying here in canada....we get raped by insurance up here... converted to american currency is 1804 still far to much....considering, i've not had a ticket or any sort of claim in over 40 years....

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was dating a gal down in KY for several years...here in canada I pay 2400 for my car and my bike....when i checked in KY what my insurance would cost there this was 4 years ago now....they wanted 480 a year for the same coverage I have here in canada.... almost 2000 a year less in the USA as to what i was paying here in canada....we get raped by insurance up here... converted to american currency is 1804 still far to much....considering, i've not had a ticket or any sort of claim in over 40 years....

Rob
I had 2 friends that shacked with Canadian girls down here. They were both nurses and moved here because they could make much better money and it's cheaper to live. Plus they got sizable sign on bonuses, this was a few years back.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
wow 53canuck...have you got major tickets or something? I have a 2010 xc and I pay $885.48 a year with full coverage $500 deductable...time for you to look at other insurance companies give me a pm I'll give you my insurance guys phone number...

Rob
Rob, when I lived in Alberta my insurance was only $330 a year. BC insurance is run by the government so we all know what that means. Waste and incompetence. Basic insurance is mandatory from ICBC. If you want additional option you can go to private companies for those but the savings are minimal. I also saw an article in todays paper that shows what Alberta insurance is doing now that the caps are off. 120% in one year. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/covid-car-insurnace-lowest-rates-1.5743341

·
Registered
889 Posts
Rob, when I lived in Alberta my insurance was only $330 a year. BC insurance is run by the government so we all know what that means. Waste and incompetence. Basic insurance is mandatory from ICBC. If you want additional option you can go to private companies for those but the savings are minimal. I also saw an article in todays paper that shows what Alberta insurance is doing now that the caps are off. 120% in one year. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/covid-car-insurnace-lowest-rates-1.5743341
ahhhh ok sorry i mixed you up with another member from ontario....wow....what a difference a province makes eh time to move...? LOL

rob

·
Registered
889 Posts
I had 2 friends that shacked with Canadian girls down here. They were both nurses and moved here because they could make much better money and it's cheaper to live. Plus they got sizable sign on bonuses, this was a few years back.
[/QUOTE]
yup, i was looking for that lower cost of living and longer riding season as a bonus to the KY girl LOL it just didn't work out so I"m stuck in the snow...

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had 2 friends that shacked with Canadian girls down here. They were both nurses and moved here because they could make much better money and it's cheaper to live. Plus they got sizable sign on bonuses, this was a few years back.
[/QUOTE]

Yes that's a problem we've had for many years. Public education that is for the most part paid for by our taxes then graduate nurses (and others) recruited then heading for the US where the numbers are down. Primary expenses by our governments at all levels is health care and education yet the government level ethics doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with cost benefits going elsewhere.

That does bring up another question though. Other than taxes lots of our higher costs are due to climate. From my own travels it sure doesn't appear that your northern states are much cheaper. Mind you, the govt taxes on fuel here also contribute to the cost of goods.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ahhhh ok sorry i mixed you up with another member from ontario....wow....what a difference a province makes eh time to move...? LOL
We moved to BC 10 years ago to help with family members but in doing so had to leave some behind. I sorely missed those growing years with two young grandsons and will never get them back. I've been thinking of moving back but there is still family here and to tell you the truth I'm getting used to no snow.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup, i was looking for that lower cost of living and longer riding season as a bonus to the KY girl LOL it just didn't work out so I"m stuck in the snow...
[/QUOTE]
LOL

·
Registered
889 Posts
We moved to BC 10 years ago to help with family members but in doing so had to leave some behind. I sorely missed those growing years with two young grandsons and will never get them back. I've been thinking of moving back but there is still family here and to tell you the truth I'm getting used to no snow.
Yea I hear you about the no snow....I have been tempted to go west but this year sure put a damper on any movement... missing some important stuff and 10 years ago technology wasn't what it is today for staying in touch with long distance loved ones...

stay safe,

Rob

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,955 Posts
Hella lot better medical coverage up there as my biker friends who have needed it can attest. I think they had medical bills around $100 for getting banged up on a bike. Cost me $250 just getting x-rays after my ditch mod.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hella lot better medical coverage up there as my biker friends who have needed it can attest. I think they had medical bills around $100 for getting banged up on a bike. Cost me $250 just getting x-rays after my ditch mod.
LOL yea and we pay the taxes to prove it

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
There's been a couple of studies that show overall Americans pay more in total for health care than we do. I couldn't find any info so maybe it's BS. But, the general gist was that the people in the medical professions do get paid a bit more in the US but not really a whole lot. The biggest contributor to the high cost of health care there is the hospitals and what they charge for simple drugs and procedures. For the most part the hospitals are profit centers making some shareholders very rich. Make them public and you won't bankrupt someone for getting sick. Middlemen are a problem but if the government won't build the facilities they have a right for a return on their investment. Then there's the drug companies.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There's been a couple of studies that show overall Americans pay more in total for health care than we do. I couldn't find any info so maybe it's BS. But, the general gist was that the people in the medical professions do get paid a bit more in the US but not really a whole lot. The biggest contributor to the high cost of health care there is the hospitals and what they charge for simple drugs and procedures. For the most part the hospitals are profit centers making some shareholders very rich. Make them public and you won't bankrupt someone for getting sick. Middlemen are a problem but if the government won't build the facilities they have a right for a return on their investment. Then there's the drug companies.
4 years ago I got bit by something at a party in Northern KY. Leg swelled up and was crazy itchy...I went to drug store pharmist looked at it and said go across the road to emergency care.....over i went and hour later, a needle in my butt and a script that cost $5. and leaving left 400 of my canadian dollars there on the counter.... when i got back to canada, our medical coverage OHIP, gave me a bunch of hoops to jump thru to get my money back, so I said how much of the 400 will i get back after doing all this.....she said about 55 bucks....I hung up..... LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts