Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened tonight after riding, oil started leaking from the shift linkage rod the oil is onmy floor and when I push in on the shift linkage oil comes out of it, Is this a easy fix?
shift linkage 1.jpg

shift linkage 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Remove shifter arm, take proper size deep socket and place over shaft and lightly tap seal back in. Make sure socket does not hit shaft. Reattach shifter arm.

If it comes back out again, lay bike on right side, remove seal and replace with new one using same steps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Noemtz, how is that coming out like that, do u have a pic of the internal workings so I can better understand this?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Vibration and rotation of shaft along with rubber shrinkage will allow it to slowly ease out. It will bottom out when pushed back in. Further in is a pressed on needle bearing.

#3 is seal
#4 is needle bearing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
#11 is the C-Clip on the shifter fork shaft sticking out of the primary cover and that seal. The C-Clip is on the inside of primary cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I see now, Wow I can't believe how simple that works, I've had this bike since new, May of 2014 I think it could've been a better design.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Yep, it bottoms out and will not go any further in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank u for the help, I'll let it sit overnight and check for leaks.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Mine came out 1000 miles from home, came all the way out going down the highway and gave the back of my bike and my friend riding behind me an oil bath. I pushed it back in and replaced it when I got home. If I had been riding alone I wouldn't have know it happened and the end result would have been bad. I pulled the seal, installed the new one and put the old one in front of the new one between the shift lever and the new seal, now at worst it might drip but never come all the way out.

The same guy that was riding behind me also had his come out at a later date. **** design is what it is.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Shifter*seal*size is 12x22x7 and the part number is 3610154 and it looks like it is not used on polaris products other than Victory.

Google on the seal size shows numerous hits which hopefully includes buisnesses in your area.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-sprint-us&ei=D_ySWt7yJcuijwOC342ACg&q=seal+12x22x7&oq=seal+12x22x7&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..41j0i22i30l2j33i160.26089.27822..29066...0....222.968.2j5j1..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-serp.esK8wceS5rU=

If the link abouve doesn't work (it may only work on mobile) just Google seal 12×22×7 to get results.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Shifter*seal*size is 12x22x7 and the part number is 3610154 and it looks like it is not used on polaris products other than Victory.

Google on the seal size shows numerous hits which hopefully includes buisnesses in your area.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-sprint-us&ei=D_ySWt7yJcuijwOC342ACg&q=seal+12x22x7&oq=seal+12x22x7&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..41j0i22i30l2j33i160.26089.27822..29066...0....222.968.2j5j1..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-serp.esK8wceS5rU=

If the link abouve doesn't work (it may only work on mobile) just Google seal 12×22×7 to get results.
This one from Amazon looks like it might be the best one that came up in the search or at least one of the best ones.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-91209-612-003-Seal-12X22X7/dp/B00AJUY9NK[/ame]

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
. **** design is what it is.
True ..... Seals just dont "pop out" exept if the pressfit size is WRONG, so if my one ever fails ill just replace it with a japanese seal and use a small amount of liquid gasket silicon and be done with it ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
At least the seal is easy to replace. Does the needle bearing ever follow the seal out? I just checked mine and it looks fine, not a hint of a leak. But at 55K miles and this being sort of a common failure, I'll order a new seal tomorrow. I'm due for an oil change soon so maybe that will be the right time to change it. Does anyone recommend putting a bit of gasket cinch or similar type stuff around the outer rim to help hold it in place?

I've read on the forums that some people believe Honda rubber parts are superior to Polaris. If so, great news as this is also a standard Honda oil seal part: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~oil~seal~91209-612-003.html

Ammo_umb - Thank you for the seal size and your google link. That made finding this a cinch.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Needle bearing would have to be pressed out. Will not simply come out like seal.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Seals,like bearings are standard off-the-shelf items. If you can't get one at your auto supply store, a bearing supplier should have it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts