Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my adjustable lowering link and noticed some "residue" clinging on the bottom of the shock/mount.
I have noticed the ride suffering (harsh compression, pogo on the rebound), and thought it was the bad roads. Frost heaves (we have a TON of them) send a jolt up my (and my wife's) spines. I had heard of leaking shocks in the past, and I didn't know how the found out, and confirmed, the shock was leaking.
I have had the bike since Sept. '13 (bought new). Any chance of warranty claim? Of course I will take the lowering link off first to make sure they don't blame it on that. I know that couldn't be the problem since I saw it first during the install.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My shock seems to be holding air like normal. I thought the shock had two systems. One oil for damping and one air for preload. The damping is what I've noticed a problem with.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
If your dealer is worth his/her salt; they will contact Ma Vic and suggest a warranty claim on it. It definitely looks like it has lost oil. Probably a seal went bad on it. It might even be rebuildable but if were you; I would want a new one. Let them rebuild it or whatever they do with the bad ones.

I still have the email address of the service manager where I bought mine. Maybe you could call the service manager, ask for his email address, and send this picture to them for consideration.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My shock started leaking oil during the first year I owned it (about 8 months and 3k miles). It was throwing oil on the back tire! Mine was of course replaced under my 1 year warranty but I also think it is a safety issue. They showed me the new shock and before the dealership put it on and I think it was made in China, go figure.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I was installing my adjustable lowering link and noticed some "residue" clinging on the bottom of the shock/mount.
I have noticed the ride suffering (harsh compression, pogo on the rebound), and thought it was the bad roads. Frost heaves (we have a TON of them) send a jolt up my (and my wife's) spines. I had heard of leaking shocks in the past, and I didn't know how the found out, and confirmed, the shock was leaking.
I have had the bike since Sept. '13 (bought new). Any chance of warranty claim? Of course I will take the lowering link off first to make sure they don't blame it on that. I know that couldn't be the problem since I saw it first during the install.

yeah I'd be trying for a warranty claim too.
on a different note I notice how restricted the exhaust pipe is going over the oil filter, must shrink down to around half its diameter.

·
13,262 Posts
You should clean it off really good and the swing arm mount area. Then ride and inspect.
If the shock is holding air I dough you have a leak. Maybe put 70psi in shock or more that way if it is leaking you would force oil out of it.
If it was leaking oil you would have a spot or two on the floor

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your dealer is worth his/her salt; they will contact Ma Vic and suggest a warranty claim on it. It definitely looks like it has lost oil. Probably a seal went bad on it. It might even be rebuildable but if were you; I would want a new one. Let them rebuild it or whatever they do with the bad ones.

I still have the email address of the service manager where I bought mine. Maybe you could call the service manager, ask for his email address, and send this picture to them for consideration.
Thanks, I will see if I can email them before I go to the trouble of uninstalling the lowering link.

yeah I'd be trying for a warranty claim too.
on a different note I notice how restricted the exhaust pipe is going over the oil filter, must shrink down to around half its diameter.
That is just the crossover pipe. It has the majority of flow from the throttle side. The stock pipe has good performance, so no need to change it IMHO.

You should clean it off really good and the swing arm mount area. Then ride and inspect.
If the shock is holding air I dough you have a leak. Maybe put 70psi in shock or more that way if it is leaking you would force oil out of it.
If it was leaking oil you would have a spot or two on the floor
Aren't the air and oil chambers separate?
I thought it would be noticeable on the floor too. If it is leaking out slowly, or while riding I wouldn't see it. The ride quality is so choppy I can't stand it! Anyone that has had their shock leak, did you just notice the leak or did you notice ride quality change?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I did not notice a ride difference between the leaking shock and the new shock. Mine held air just fine, just leaked shock fluid. It was on the floor under the shock after a ride, looked like motor oil at first.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not notice a ride difference between the leaking shock and the new shock. Mine held air just fine, just leaked shock fluid. It was on the floor under the shock after a ride, looked like motor oil at first.
Thanks for the reply. That was sort of what I was expecting. It is hard for me to tell if the ride quality suffering is from the shock or the lowering or the back end. I may raise the rear up (from -2" to -1") and see how much difference it makes in ride comfort. If it's still bad I will look into shock replacement

·
13,262 Posts
Think of this if you put more air in the shock it would force oil out if you had a leak.
With a short link rod add more air. Air will not raise the bike up.
Our bikes being longer then Harley will give us a smother ride. For get where you live but this time of the year roads have more swells then normal so once the tar roads warm up maybe you'll get a smoother ride

·
Registered
790 Posts
If it is leaking and they won't replace it, I have one up for sale in classifieds. They are VERY expensive new.

From the pic however not sure if it is leaking or just road gunk. Do as others said, clean it up, add max air and let it sit a few days then check it again and under it, and recheck air pressure. If all good ride it, and check it again.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I hope that aftermarket comes out with a shock for these bikes. Like MTVic said, they are expensive, around $500 new. I don't know what the life of these shocks are and mine may have been defective from the get go but I wish there were other options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts