Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a Victory Cross Country bike. It's 2010, and I bought it with a crack in a headlight lens. Now, I think of installing a new light, and while a new/used OE headlight is still an option for me, I think of a sealed headlight with a LED projector. I understand, that tastes differ, and not everyone understands this kind of upgrade on a touring bike, yet I'd like to try it out.
Now, I know, that not all vehicles tolerate aftermarket LED units, that's pretty much the reason why I decided to post here and ask your folks experience about LEDs on the Victory bikes. Can someone comment on the LEDs that work fine without shaking, hyperflashing, errors?
I will show you folks the LED lights I think are fine:
SKTYANTS headlight from Amazon, $75
Oracle headlight, $195, from Motorcycle id
Now, I know that Oracle makes a lot of custom lights for both motorcycles and cars, but I've never heared of SKTyants (but I like the price). I know, that good stuff cannot be cheap, but does such a price difference mean that Oracle quality is better? Or that's the case when you pay for the brand?
Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I bought the complete OEM LED headlight when Polaris had their fire sale and it works fine. There are also aftermarket chinese made LED sealed units on amazon and fleabay all day long. Do a search on here, tons of topics on various LED options.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
I bought the junk Chinese LED and then paid more money for the Victory Beacon LED. Use me for an example and don't buy twice, just get the Vic LED.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you cant find an original Victory one, don't spend that kind of money. I bought the below one and love it, half the cost of what you are looking at.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M30B4LA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
623 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Headlight

I just replaced the 2 Bulbs in mine to LED. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate your help, folks! Well, now I will not consider any of those 2 I posted in the very 1st post, and I'll better get in touch with the Victory HID to see, what they offer.
Appreciate your comments on this!
Thanks,
Tony.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
I appreciate your help, folks! Well, now I will not consider any of those 2 I posted in the very 1st post, and I'll better get in touch with the Victory HID to see, what they offer.
Appreciate your comments on this!
Thanks,
Tony.
I just remembered you said you had a cracked lens. In that case your best bet is probably the full LED kit. The HID is just the bulb; not the housing it sits in.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The Victory factory (not aftermarket) HID headlight kits show up for sale once in a while. IMHO, the factory HID has it all over any and every LED headlight you can find. The HID light beam is spead far and wide where every LED headlight pattern is simply light or dark. The LED headlights offer so little side light that another version was introduced that uses lean angle to spread some light low and to the sides. Exactly where you want some light at night. My 2012 CCT came from the factory with HID and I bought a HID kit soon after the announcement just so I'll have another if needed. I saw another HID kit for sale within the last few days. I don't know if it was on the Facebook page or eBay.

The Victory factory kit comes with everything needed: an entire headlight assembly including both bulbs, the ballast, a mounting bracket for the ballast and the headlight power wire. If I needed a new headlight, I'd most certainly look for the factory HID kit. I would not however consider any of the aftermarket HID kits I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yeah my 2012 CCT has hid I'm assuming it's the Victory version I'm happy with the light it throws out. No experience with LED. I removed the extra lights prior owner installed still have plenty of light.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Some 2012s (Cross bikes) had HID standard. In 2013, they went back to halogen for whatever reason.
I have the Vic brand LED in there now, but I just bought some 6000k HID lights and will go back to them; I think they illuminate better. Plus, they draw more power and from what I heard, that's healthier for the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Some 2012s (Cross bikes) had HID standard. In 2013, they went back to halogen for whatever reason.
I have the Vic brand LED in there now, but I just bought some 6000k HID lights and will go back to them; I think they illuminate better. Plus, they draw more power and from what I heard, that's healthier for the voltage regulator.
Halogen cheaper is my guess. I have read on old forum posts the stock seats were better on older models too. Drawing more power seems odd to be a good thing. My bright light is a halogen.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
From what I read (I forgot where), the more power you draw (to a limit, of course), the less gets shunted to the regulator and bled off as heat.
Not entirely sure of that, but I want the better light from HID anyway. Might have a couple of LED units for sale...

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
From what I read (I forgot where), the more power you draw (to a limit, of course), the less gets shunted to the regulator and bled off as heat.
Not entirely sure of that, but I want the better light from HID anyway. Might have a couple of LED units for sale...
I'm surprised to read this I though you were happy with the LED...

I sure like mine, the HID made about every car coming towards me flash their brights at me, I got tired of it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check out Paul Pomerleau's Youtube channel. He has a video which I will link below that compares the available types of headlights for Victory Cross bikes. Browse though all of his videos, they help a lot. He's also a member of this forum. @PaulJP

Happy Wrenching!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I'm surprised to read this I though you were happy with the LED...

I sure like mine, the HID made about every car coming towards me flash their brights at me, I got tired of it.

That sounds like an aiming issue, not a type of light issue. I often use my High Beam in low light conditions and only seldom does it bother an oncoming car to the point of them flashing their headlight at me. In 62K miles I don't recall a single time when I got flashed by an oncoming car while using the bikes oem HID low beam.

I'm going from memory here but I don't recall Paul's video testing the oem factory HID light. Most of the aftermarket HID systems are simply modified to work systems as opposed to the factory HID system being a designed for the task.

The light beam spread is where an LED system lacks performance. Side by side on a dark road, the halogen or the factory HID system puts out light wide and far. Compared to an LED that is highly focused to the point of putting out mostly a far beam but not a wide beam. I want to see what's on the edges of the road which is something every test I've ever seen shows the factory HID and even many halogen systems far ahead of an LED. But, many riders want form over function so Polaris and the aftermarket have mostly switched to LED. Many pictures have been posted on the two Victory forums showing the light spread on a garage door. The LED has mostly center focus while the other systems have a much wider light spread with only minimally reduced center focus.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
My HID's were not factory they were aftermarket in a halogen light bucket that put the light everywhere, I think it even put light behind me. :grin

My current LED is the Victory beacon assembly, I did have the H4 replacement LED's posted above in the test but the low beam stopped working so I replaced it with the beacon.

I would get big rigs flashing me and it just got to be to much. I'm VERY happy with the Beacon and it does reflect to the sides and straight ahead, that part of your comment isn't the case with my Beacon light. The Beacon casts way more light than the halogens ever did.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts