Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a LED Headlight for Vics? Was riding with some harley riders and these guys have LED's that are very bright and noticable. They got flashed alot from cars which means they are being seen.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
LED or HID? :confused:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
LED vs HID headlights

LEDs have longer life span than HIDs and even lower power consumption. However, LEDs produce a much higher amount of heat per unit of light output. Instead of emitting the heat together with the light (as HIDs and halogens do), the LED's produce heat at the rear section of the emitters. While incadescent and HID bulbs tolerate high temperatures without problems, their LED counterparts do not fare well in higher temperatures. This is why LED equipped headlights are often designed with head-sinks and/or cooling fans, which end up raising the initial cost as well as maintenance cost to a point where LEDs are not a feasable option.

However, for lights that do not require to be left on for prolonged periods of time, and therefore do not get a chance to accumulate heat (ie. blinkers or tail lights), LEDs are the undisputed champion.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What about, for example, the Audi daytime running lights? They are LED and are constantly on.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I understand all that. Do you know if there is anything available in LED that fits the Vics?
I might be able to get them for you. What year and model is your bike?

What about, for example, the Audi daytime running lights? They are LED and are constantly on.
I believe the headlight assembly alone is around the thousand dollars mark for cars with LED headlights. :eek:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I was just using that as an example for what you were saying about the heat issue with constantly running LED's.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I was just using that as an example for what you were saying about the heat issue with constantly running LED's.
You're just trying to get me in trouble based on my own statements! :ltr:

While the lights you're mentioning are not for illuminating the road, but more for looks, there are cars out there with factory LED headlights. Lexus and Audi pioneered them about 4 years ago on cars with price stickers north of $100,000. There was also the Escalade Platinum (which I believe got discontinued) featuring full LED headlights.

But you don't have to be rich to drive a car with factory LED headligths. The friendly Prius offers them an option (a rather costly option). Unfortunately they're nothing more than a very docile iteration of the LED headlight, and while they are brighter than halogens, they produce less light than an HID does - and the cost is much steeper than HIDs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw a new Chrysler 300 with LED's tonite. Looks alot like Audi's.

XRoads, my bike is a 09 Vegas 8ball. I changed the stock headlight to the wedge shaped one like all the bikes now have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Think about a Truck Lite bulb from Kuryakyn (2261) for about $300 and fitting a FLST mounting bracket (about $90). Going to be fun correcting wiring and getting the bracket mounted right. You want the 6 series upgrade although the 5 series is very close. Life expectancy is about five years, and great fun watching the oncoming high beam idiots dimming down way early like they should. Both LEDs (HD and Truck Lite) are USA made.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
XRoads, my bike is a 09 Vegas 8ball. I changed the stock headlight to the wedge shaped one like all the bikes now have.
So what's the model and year of the headlight then? :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the light the day I got the bike (May-09) to replace the regular round one the bike came with. Is there a differance between the Vic models? Aren't those wedge shape headlight assembly's all the same?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I bought the light the day I got the bike (May-09) to replace the regular round one the bike came with. Is there a differance between the Vic models? Aren't those wedge shape headlight assembly's all the same?
Well, different bulbs go in different headlights. Anyway, if you're so keen to experiment with the electrical system on your bike, and given you already know everything I warned you about, I can get you the LED bulbs that would fit your bike at $25/piece shipped. I will not take returns, exchanges, nor offer any kind of warranty on them. On the contrary, I am saying you should not put them on your bike - this feels like assisted suicide. :crzy:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks XRoads for your help. Not trying to be a smarta$$, just looking for info. I was looking for the whole light assembly, not just a bulb. I would not put a buld in a reflector that is not designed for it. How are the HID kits working for guys that have them?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Led

Saw a new Chrysler 300 with LED's tonite. Looks alot like Audi's.

I too have a buddy with a CVO UG with the new HD LED headlights and passing lamps. His ride is a beauty and it has four, yes, four HID lower lights attached to his crash bars. He followed me for 6000+ K this last week so I got a really good look at the light show he had going.

My comment to him was this. In daylight I cannot even see your LED passing lamps and your LED headlight is completely outshone by you four tiny little HID bar mounted lights. Really, the LEDs did not have a chance against the HID applications. I cannot comment on why, but there are the facts for what it is worth.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 44 Posts