Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have my HD Dealer fitting micro LED indicators to my Highball. I have the relays to help with the flash rate. I have also been told that the front indicator polarity is reversed. Is that true? What does that even mean? Wouldn't you just unbolt the old indicator and then connect the new one? Does reversed polarity mean the positive get's wired up to the negative onthe front ones?

Anything else I need to know?

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Hi guys, I have my HD Dealer fitting micro LED indicators to my Highball. I have the relays to help with the flash rate. I have also been told that the front indicator polarity is reversed. Is that true? What does that even mean? Wouldn't you just unbolt the old indicator and then connect the new one? Does reversed polarity mean the positive get's wired up to the negative onthe front ones?

Anything else I need to know?
Yes, reversed polarity means it's backwards. Some genius did decide the electrical convention can be ignored, and red wires can be ground, while black wires can be positive. For the stock bulbs, it doesn't matter, because they're not polar, but LED's are polar. Tell this to the HD dealer, or they will trust convention, and assume ground is black - and you'll end up with a fried ECM.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it just the front ones that are reversed? Is it easy to check? I don't want them blaming my "must be faulty indicators" if they get it wrong and blow the ECM.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Is it just the front ones that are reversed? Is it easy to check? I don't want them blaming my "must be faulty indicators" if they get it wrong and blow the ECM.
It should be pretty apparent when looking at the harness connectors of your front turn signals. After removing the cover of your headlamp the tech should look closely at both the right and left signal wire connections. The right is usually the side which is reversed though it could be either or even both sides. The left signal's hot wire is blue and the right's is blue/red with black being ground for both. On my bike, the right turn signal harness was reversed: the blue wire from the main harness was tied into the black wire coming off the turn signal harness.

Again, this is easy to view once you fish the connection out of your headlight bucket. The rear signal connections should be dealt w/in a similar fashion. Have the tech LOOK CAREFULLY at the connections to make sure the hot wires on one side of the connection are mirrored on the other side (i.e. blue is across from blue; black is across from black, etc.).

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
It should be pretty apparent when looking at the harness connectors of your front turn signals. After removing the cover of your headlamp the tech should look closely at both the right and left signal wire connections. The right is usually the side which is reversed though it could be either or even both sides. The left signal's hot wire is blue and the right's is blue/red with black being ground for both. On my bike, the right turn signal harness was reversed: the blue wire from the main harness was tied into the black wire coming off the turn signal harness.

Again, this is easy to view once you fish the connection out of your headlight bucket. The rear signal connections should be dealt w/in a similar fashion. Have the tech LOOK CAREFULLY at the connections to make sure the hot wires on one side of the connection are mirrored on the other side (i.e. blue is across from blue; black is across from black, etc.).
The bike harness side of the connector is color coded correctly, it's the OEM turn signal side of the wire connector that is reversed. So, if you remove the entire housing assembly at the connector, no worries. If you simply cut the bulb assembly off, then be aware of the crossed colors.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Stop messing around with wiring harness appearances. Use a volt meter on a DC scale and know what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Stop messing around with wiring harness appearances. Use a volt meter on a DC scale and know what you are dealing with.
Under any other electrical situation, I would agree w/you completely. However, the ACM's on these things are so fragile you can fry them very easily. I don't know why Vic even put a fuse in for the signals as the ACM goes so easily the fuse will last forever...:crzy:

A forum member cooked his ACM while changing the bulb (or reinstalling it after checking to see whether it was still good). I killed my ACM merely by checking for polarity on the main harness...and, yes, I know a bit about electrics. cheers

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really??? You have me all worried now! I have some really cool LED indicators to put on my bike and my local Harley Dealer is going to do it for me. I'm now panicking it's going to blow or be reverse polarized or something. If it blows here in the UK I will be without my bike for months and that is no exaggeration. I thought our bikes were meant to be easier to work on than HD's?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Big T just tell them to ensure they check the polarity on all signal light wires prior to install... Too bad your so far away, I would do it for a bottle of Goose.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be a deal mate! I would check out your rims though which could be dangerous!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Take a deep breath....relax...thumb up It really isn't too complicated but one must proceed w/ deliberate precision. Your bike is a 2012 and I believe you have a different set up though someone else may know for sure. Vic started using a different Module Flasher at some point (it's a lot cheaper than mine, @ $60 US) so it may not be as sensitive to shorts and the like as the earlier ACM's like I have. Simply make the technician aware of the possibility of reversed wires and everything should be fine. cheers

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm worried because there is not a single Vic dealer in my country so I have to do all the homework myself. I can't trust the HD dealers to keep me right either.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Under any other electrical situation, I would agree w/you completely. However, the ACM's on these things are so fragile you can fry them very easily. I don't know why Vic even put a fuse in for the signals as the ACM goes so easily the fuse will last forever...:crzy:

A forum member cooked his ACM while changing the bulb (or reinstalling it after checking to see whether it was still good). I killed my ACM merely by checking for polarity on the main harness...and, yes, I know a bit about electrics. cheers
If I am reading this right the ACM blows to protect the fuse. I have seen that kind of design before but thought the Vics were better than that.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If I am reading this right the ACM blows to protect the fuse. I have seen that kind of design before but thought the Vics were better than that.
I'm not sure that is the way it was designed but that seems to be the way this particular configuration works (or doesn't). :crzy: Vic I believe did away w/this setup and now runs the flasher controls through the ECM.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm not sure that is the way it was designed but that seems to be the way this particular configuration works (or doesn't). :crzy: Vic I believe did away w/this setup and now runs the flasher controls through the ECM.

And they did this instead of fixing the crossed wires???
Sounds simple.:confused:

·
Registered
742 Posts
And they did this instead of fixing the crossed wires???
Sounds simple.:confused:
As fragile as the Auto Cancel Module (ACM) is, one can easily burn it out w/a simple short as I and at least one other forum member have done. Reversed wires in combination w/the aforementioned is simply annoying as hell and quite expensive for myself and for others. :crzy: & :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts