Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2007 Kingpin and I just bought the replacement 15 led tail light complete with the adapter from Noemtz. It looks like a quality piece. If anyone has experience with removing the tail light on a Kingpin, I would appreciate some tips on how to do it. Of course, its harder to do when laying on the garage floor and trying to manipulate one hand between the tire and inside of the fender. For this reason, I was planning on letting the dealer do it, but if someone can walk me through the process, I would like to try it myself. I appreciate all comments.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Hopefully this helps a little.
07KING.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I have a 2007 Kingpin and I just bought the replacement 15 led tail light complete with the adapter from Noemtz. It looks like a quality piece. If anyone has experience with removing the tail light on a Kingpin, I would appreciate some tips on how to do it. Of course, its harder to do when laying on the garage floor and trying to manipulate one hand between the tire and inside of the fender. For this reason, I was planning on letting the dealer do it, but if someone can walk me through the process, I would like to try it myself. I appreciate all comments.
Easiest way to go would be to remove seat, remove side struts, remove fender bolts, with a buddy helping out..disconnect harness..lift or remove fender to get to all wires. Install everything and reinstall in reverse order.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
If you go to the trouble of pulling the fender; you might as well install one of those wire protectors that Witchdoctor sells, and maybe Noemtz, so you never have to worry about the tire hitting the wires underneath the fender. Unfortunately the shipping charges are as much as the part just about.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Easiest way to go would be to remove seat, remove side struts, remove fender bolts, with a buddy helping out..disconnect harness..lift or remove fender to get to all wires. Install everything and reinstall in reverse order.
Noe; is it possible to disconnect the shock and lower the wheel/swingarm down so you can get at everything under the fender?

Or is it best to do as you described and go through everything at this time?

I haven't done this yet so I'm trying to figure out the path of least resistance. Or is it either or kinda thing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did this same install and found it easier just to remove the fender. It seems like there was an extra nut or two under there to get out. It was much easier to see everything with it removed.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Noe; is it possible to disconnect the shock and lower the wheel/swingarm down so you can get at everything under the fender?

Or is it best to do as you described and go through everything at this time?

I haven't done this yet so I'm trying to figure out the path of least resistance. Or is it either or kinda thing?
Easiest to remove fender. And can be done while on kickstand for those that do not have jack or lift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. According to the instructions, there is one bolt to take off behind the fender and the light should come out. The problem is getting at the bolt, there is a metal shield over the assembly. It could be bent out of the way I guess. Nothing I have seen elsewhere indicates the need to take the fender off. If it becomes problematic, I will let the dealer do it. I'm too old to spend a day doing a half hour job.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you go to the trouble of pulling the fender; you might as well install one of those wire protectors that Witchdoctor sells, and maybe Noemtz, so you never have to worry about the tire hitting the wires underneath the fender. Unfortunately the shipping charges are as much as the part just about.
Got a link for that?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I put the bike on a jack and laid under it.I didn't remove the fender or the wheel.Once the light comes out you can rewire the harness and install the new light. I don't know about the '07, but on my '05, I had to bypass the acm(I think that is what it is called).If you have to bypass it, I may have the write-up I used.I got it off another website.
Unless of course, you bought the adapter harness.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
I put the bike on a jack and laid under it.I didn't remove the fender or the wheel.Once the light comes out you can rewire the harness and install the new light. I don't know about the '07, but on my '05, I had to bypass the acm(I think that is what it is called).If you have to bypass it, I may have the write-up I used.I got it off another website.
I'd appreciate it if you could post that write-up on how to bypass the ASM. I think this was done to mine at some point before I got it when the LED light was installed.

I didn't know there was an adapter harness that would let me use the ASM. It's not a big deal to manually turn off the signals but it would be better if they turned off on their own. Who sells the adapter?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tarzan for your response. You have come the closest to what I need to know. My Kingpin is a 2007 and there is a metal shield covering the light and wiring. How many bolts did you have to remove from behind in order to get the light out? I have an instruction sheet that says one bolt, but others seem to differ with that. I can probably work around the metal shield and even bend it out of the way if necessary. I would appreciate hearing from you.[/[/B]B]

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I'd appreciate it if you could post that write-up on how to bypass the ASM. I think this was done to mine at some point before I got it when the LED light was installed.

I didn't know there was an adapter harness that would let me use the ASM. It's not a big deal to manually turn off the signals but it would be better if they turned off on their own. Who sells the adapter?
Hey Bob,
I don't have to cancel my signals manually.You must have something else going on. My turn signals still route through the Acm.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I did not write this tutorial.I did use it to install mine though.I don't remember who to credit, but I have it saved on my computer.So, here it is.

The 2009 tail light is rigged to receive +12 volts where the original tail light (2008 and earlier) are designed to run on +9 volts.
Additionally, the 2009 tail light has 3 wires going to it, where the earlier lights have 2. So, a little confusing at first,
but easy to do (once someone tells you exactly what to do)....

I am not a licensed mechanic or electrician...the following is what I did and it worked for me....did I mention that it looks and operates fantastically!
!!!
This might be obvious, but your going to have to access underneath the rear fender and the seat...so get hot and get to work.....
Pins 1(black), 2(red), and 3(white/pink) of the Auto-Cancel Unit (ACU) under the seat are dedicated to the stop/tail light control.
You need to cut the #2(red) and #3(white/pink) wires and hook the 2 ends that are not attached to the ACU together (this eliminates the ACU).
The #2(red) and #3(white/pink) coming out of the ACU just need to be terminated (put electric tape on the ends of these two).
The ACU takes the signal/voltage from the brake hydraulic pressure switch and converts it from 12 volts to 9 volts for the original tail light.
Disconnect the original light from the bike and cut off the 2 wire connector (wires where red and black on my bike).
(my 2009 light came with 3 wires attached....red, black and blue) Connect the Red to the Red and the Black to the Black
(my wire diagram says the lights wires are white and black; if this is true on your bike, hook the white to the red and black to black.)
The blue wire from the 2009 light needs to be hooked to +12 volts. I got this by splicing into my license plate wire (this is purple or violet in color).
I recommend using male and female terminal connectors to connect the wires together. This will allow you to easily disconnect the wires for future
install, upgrades or repairs.
Good Luck!!!! By the way, I have a Victory brake strobe/flasher module installed (purchased from Custom Dynamics) in addition to the above
and it works great with the new light. If you want to install this...install it between the red an white/pink wires in step 4.
The red wire form the modulator connects to the white/pink wire and the yellow wire from the modulator connects to the red.
Again, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not write this tutorial.I did use it to install mine though.I don't remember who to credit, but I have it saved on my computer.So, here it is.

The 2009 tail light is rigged to receive +12 volts where the original tail light (2008 and earlier) are designed to run on +9 volts.
Additionally, the 2009 tail light has 3 wires going to it, where the earlier lights have 2. So, a little confusing at first,
but easy to do (once someone tells you exactly what to do)....

I am not a licensed mechanic or electrician...the following is what I did and it worked for me....did I mention that it looks and operates fantastically!
!!!
This might be obvious, but your going to have to access underneath the rear fender and the seat...so get hot and get to work.....
Pins 1(black), 2(red), and 3(white/pink) of the Auto-Cancel Unit (ACU) under the seat are dedicated to the stop/tail light control.
You need to cut the #2(red) and #3(white/pink) wires and hook the 2 ends that are not attached to the ACU together (this eliminates the ACU).
The #2(red) and #3(white/pink) coming out of the ACU just need to be terminated (put electric tape on the ends of these two).
The ACU takes the signal/voltage from the brake hydraulic pressure switch and converts it from 12 volts to 9 volts for the original tail light.
Disconnect the original light from the bike and cut off the 2 wire connector (wires where red and black on my bike).
(my 2009 light came with 3 wires attached....red, black and blue) Connect the Red to the Red and the Black to the Black
(my wire diagram says the lights wires are white and black; if this is true on your bike, hook the white to the red and black to black.)
The blue wire from the 2009 light needs to be hooked to +12 volts. I got this by splicing into my license plate wire (this is purple or violet in color).
I recommend using male and female terminal connectors to connect the wires together. This will allow you to easily disconnect the wires for future
install, upgrades or repairs.
Good Luck!!!! By the way, I have a Victory brake strobe/flasher module installed (purchased from Custom Dynamics) in addition to the above
and it works great with the new light. If you want to install this...install it between the red an white/pink wires in step 4.
The red wire form the modulator connects to the white/pink wire and the yellow wire from the modulator connects to the red.
Again, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Thanks Tarzan. I appreciate the instructions but I bought the adapter kit with the light so I don't have to cut any wires, its plug and play. Yesterday, I tried to remove the light. I took the two lower bolts out but I wasn't able to get to the top one so I may have to let the dealer do it. I will be getting a new rear tire anyway, so the wheel will be off, making much easier to access everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts