Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i drove down to JP cycles today and picked up a kit made by Whitewall Choppers. It came with all 4 LED turn signals, mount bracket for the rear and a load equalizer. No instructions what so ever. Checked their site, no instructions.

I hooked up all the lights, black wire of each signal to the black wire on the bike. And the yellow wire of the lights to the colored wire on the bike. Now the only signal that works is the right rear. I have not hooked up the load equalizer yet, because i have no idea where it gets spliced in at. I'm pretty sure it is done somewhere under the seat, but not sure. Figured i would see what the professionals on here would say.

The whole reason i went with new signals is the cheap alternative i did for LED turn signals last summer went bad. Before i left on deployment, i had the front left quit working. I came back after the bike sat for 6 months, and the only one that worked was the front right. I'm clueless on what is going on. I double checked my connections. The bike is an 2005.

Thanks for the help.

·
13,002 Posts
do you have volt meter or test light.
Not all colored wires on Vic's have power or ground. Some colored wire's are ground

·
Registered
742 Posts
I copied my post from another LED install question I attemptedt shed some light upon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tav View Post
Is it just the front ones that are reversed? Is it easy to check? I don't want them blaming my "must be faulty indicators" if they get it wrong and blow the ECM.
It should be pretty apparent when looking at the harness connectors of your front turn signals. After removing the cover of your headlamp the tech should look closely at both the right and left signal wire connections. The right is usually the side which is reversed though it could be either or even both sides. The left signal's hot wire is blue and the right's is blue/red with black being ground for both. On my bike, the right turn signal harness was reversed: the blue wire from the main harness was tied into the black wire coming off the turn signal harness.

Again, this is easy to view once you fish the connection out of your headlight bucket. The rear signal connections should be dealt w/in a similar fashion. Have the tech LOOK CAREFULLY at the connections to make sure the hot wires on one side of the connection are mirrored on the other side (i.e. blue is across from blue; black is across from black, etc.).

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would also download your YR/MAKE/MODEL Service Manual from BBob:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10829

Your going to have to splice the load eq into the ACM's wire harness. It may be you've fried your ACM as they are extremely fragile and can be destroyed quite easily.

I just finished swapping my stock signals w/LED's and will assist in any way I am able. Shoot me a PM. cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Whats a ACM? --- ECM maybe?
Older Vics used the ACM (automatic cancellation module) but newer Vics have their flashers controlled by the ECM (Electronic Control Module).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Older Vics used the ACM (automatic cancellation module) but newer Vics have their flashers controlled by the ECM (Electronic Control Module).
So did they fix the crossed wires, or did they just make it harder to waste a bunch of money?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
So did they fix the crossed wires, or did they just make it harder to waste a bunch of money?
I don't know if this was intentionally done or not, but I think it's been intentionally left unfixed. There is absolutely no benefit from it, unless you count additional parts sales to replace fried ACMs. :crzy:

On headlights, one beam (rare occurrence) or both beams (extremely rare occurrence) have the polarity backwards. But they all do, at least since the 2003 models (as far as I am aware) up until to the 2014 models. You can't really accept that they've been making this mistake for over 11 years and nobody noticed.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I love my Vic but damn this just pisses me off.
I can NOT change my turn signals without a VOM?

BTW I installed your lo/hi beam last year with no problems.
I can only hope that nobody gets a false sense of security with that bright ass blue light.
It will not save you from a drunken,blind,old ass cager.
TRUE STORY!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts