Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I'm sure this has been beat to death, but.....

where do you guys mount your load resistors when you switch to LED turn signals? And how many do I need, one for the left and right sides or one for front and back or just one somewhere in the whole system?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice videos, but not quite what I'm looking for. was curious how many load resistors I needed for the bike, how they get wired in and where people are mounting them to keep them out of the way.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you are going to use the 6 Ohm 50 watt resistors, I think you should be able to get away with one per side located anywhere in the system, easiest is probably near the flasher module (might flash a bit faster than the incandecent). If you use the loadshare module then you will just need one.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
ok, I'm sure this has been beat to death, but.....

where do you guys mount your load resistors when you switch to LED turn signals? And how many do I need, one for the left and right sides or one for front and back or just one somewhere in the whole system?
If you will be using resistors, you will need two of them, if you are using a pre-made load equalizer, only one. The trick is to get the proper resistance and wattage. The pre-made load equalizers are nothing more than one or more resistors, with one lead for the left turn signals, one lead for the right, and one lead for ground. When you use resistors, most of us wrap them up together, combine the ground leads into a single lead to ground, and tap each of the free leads to left and right turns respectively. Remember that the turn signals on these bikes are NOT isolated front to back, so you just need a single connection for each side. There are MULTIPLE threads on this, do a search.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did a search and can't really find anything that's helping me.

2 questions.

1. where can i get a pre-made load equalizer?
2. do the resistors arc between the turn signal wires? I have one into the power side and then the other into the negative side of the turn signal. do I do it that was or do I just splice into the power side and ground the other end of the resistor somewhere else?

·
Registered
396 Posts
derek,
i just finished swapping out my stock blinkers
for led's (2007 jackpot).
i changed out the rear blinkers first and mounted
them directly where the old blinkers were mounted.
i went with the small led bullets (2 wire ) and wired the
load equalizer under the seat but they would not work
correctly. then i was informed by one of the members
on this forum to order a "heavy duty" load equalizer from
powermotorcycleparts.com,so i did and they work great
now. i just swapped out the front blinkers to led's last
week, and went with the fork mounted silver bullets.
here is where it get's tricky,the right side blinker
(if you are sitting on the bike) is wired backwards,
the best way to confirm this is to remove the 4 screws
from the headlight bucket and remove the top part of the
headlight bucket. then you have access to the blinker wire
quick connects if you are facing the headlight it will be on your left side the blue wire going into the connector is a black wire
coming out of the connector so wire accordingly.
while the connector on the right is wired blue/blue,
black,black. so make sure you wire them correctly.:crzy:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all, i was trying to use led bars from customdynamics.com for signals, i wired parallel and inline and can't seem to get my lights to work....

also, my taillight isn't on when the motor is started, the brake works, but not the running light.... am i missing something? no fuses are blown or anything.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
thanks all, i was trying to use led bars from customdynamics.com for signals, i wired parallel and inline and can't seem to get my lights to work....

also, my taillight isn't on when the motor is started, the brake works, but not the running light.... am i missing something? no fuses are blown or anything.
Which tail light isn't working, an add on / replacement, or the stock one? Remember that the tail light and brake light function on the 07 (08?) and older bikes is not 12v. The stock tail light is a 9v/6v step down arrangement. You won't be able to use that wiring for a replacement. First thing you really should get is a wiring diagram. There is an entire series of threads on add on and replacement lighting on a club web site. I know, I participated in most of it. I ended up adding a controller that actually managed my rear LED turns into additional break lights... additionally, I had all four corners set up as running lights too. As for the front right turn signal, while it's true that the wiring "appears" backwards at the signal, it is not backwards coming INTO the headlight bucket where it plugs into the turn signal. If you end up cutting that entire connector off the wiring harness, you won't have any reverse polarity issues. If you want your turn signals to work as running lights, you'll either need 3 wire LEDs and wire the low side to keyed power, or an add on controller for 2 wire LEDs....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
basically I got led bars from customdynamics (http://customdynamics.com/truflex_flexible_led_lighting.htm) to use as turn signals rear and front.

I tried wiring the rears with resistors and no turn signal. i wired the resistors parallel and inline with no luck.

as a side note i noticed when i had the headlight on, that my tail light wasn't on and functioning as a running light, but the light works as normal when the breaks are applied. not sure what that is all about.

my question right now is would the turn signals not work because i have them wired wrong or because the fronts are still non-led?

also i don't have my license plate marker light wired up at present if that changes anything.

·
Registered
329 Posts
basically I got led bars from customdynamics (http://customdynamics.com/truflex_flexible_led_lighting.htm) to use as turn signals rear and front.

I tried wiring the rears with resistors and no turn signal. i wired the resistors parallel and inline with no luck.

as a side note i noticed when i had the headlight on, that my tail light wasn't on and functioning as a running light, but the light works as normal when the breaks are applied. not sure what that is all about.

my question right now is would the turn signals not work because i have them wired wrong or because the fronts are still non-led?

also i don't have my license plate marker light wired up at present if that changes anything.
I don't suppose you did any work on the license plate light, did you? They share a common ground AND positive.

If you think that perhaps the fronts are causing the issue (I REALLY cannot see why they would).... unplug em. I currently only have rear blinkers because the mounting hardware for the fronts was wrong. The lack of resistance causes a fast blink issue, but the auto-cancel works just fine.

If that doesn't work, test the resistance of the resistors with an ohm-meter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't suppose you did any work on the license plate light, did you? They share a common ground AND positive.

If you think that perhaps the fronts are causing the issue (I REALLY cannot see why they would).... unplug em. I currently only have rear blinkers because the mounting hardware for the fronts was wrong. The lack of resistance causes a fast blink issue, but the auto-cancel works just fine.

If that doesn't work, test the resistance of the resistors with an ohm-meter.
I haven't touched the licence plate light, though i did plug it back in without changes. i ordered a load resistor so i'll install that and see if it fixes everything. if that doesn't work i'll probably order regular LED turns and forget using the LED bars. I'm going to talk to the Vic mechanic when i stop to pick up stuff for my oil change.

thanks cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
I haven't touched the licence plate light, though i did plug it back in without changes. i ordered a load resistor so i'll install that and see if it fixes everything. if that doesn't work i'll probably order regular LED turns and forget using the LED bars. I'm going to talk to the Vic mechanic when i stop to pick up stuff for my oil change.

thanks cheers
Any LED will act the same way. You can try using them without a resistor if you don't have an ohm-meter. Because there is less resistance, you will see a fast blink, but don't believe it will harm anything.

As for you not getting ANY blinking, did you wire the lights up correctly the first time? If you wire them backward, you will toast your ACM (auto cancel module) and nothing will work. The resistors purpose is simply to provide resistance that matches the incandescent bulbs.

Check your fuses first... then if that doesn't work, check your polarity. Red should go to the colored wire... black to the black. I believe the ACM is around $250 if you did in fact cook it.

PS... when hooking up the fronts, remember that the right front on your bike is wired backward. Black is the "positive" and colored wire is ground.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quick question.... I have the LED's wired in the rear, the left side front and back work, right side front and back didn't, placed a load equalizer in, left front and back side still works and right front and back side still do not work and the indicator light blinks like there is a bulbs out (super fast), checked all the bulbs and i don't have any fuses blown, switched LED's side to side and same results.....

does anybody have any idea why the right side doesn't work?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know that the right front turn light is actually wired "reverse polarity", (black is the positive) I'm not sure about the rear though. You may want to check with a volt meter to see if it is as well then you'd have to switch the wires to the LED's due to them being polarity sensitive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts