Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was gone for vacation last week. last time I rode my bike was to work on 29Jun2017. So today I had to make a run out for some essentials and went to take my XR and there are 2 of the LED's in the speedometer that are out. These aren't the lights to illuminate the gauge but rather the 2 digits on the display for the miles/fuel guage/temp/trip/etc.... its the two right most places so instead of seeing an 8 for instance, i see E.

Anyone else have any issues like this? I checked the battery connections and everything else I could think of. Didn't think to take a picture of it, but will in the morning. But I am clueless as to wtf just happened... don't really relish the idea of putting on another gauge cluster..... but guess if i need to I will look at Dakota Digital.. but I really would rather avoid that if at all possible.... any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Shine a light.

On some of the machines at work if the digital dash does not illuminate correctly the numbers will show up with shining a flash light on them. You might try that on your gauges. If that works you can remove the gauge itself from the housing. Drill a small hole or holes and glue in small LED lights, then wire them in. If it works great, if not, you are stuck buying new gauges anyway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice but i think we might be talking about two different things.. mine are two of the bars in the LCD not the led's that illuminate the gauge. my bad description, i know..

i am attaching a video to help show what i am talking about.

https://youtu.be/iqi9j5O0Ygo

and i sent an email to Dakota Digital but it doesn't look like any of the their speedos will work with our XR's, although the guy who emailed me linked me directly to the same information on the website which looks like its good for bikes pre-2010 and without the CANBUS system..

so if i have to wait for someone to make something that WILL work or search for a non-damaged speedo, or even worse wait to see what Victory has laying around, that is gonna suck and drive my OCD thermonuclear..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, so I guess I am looking for a new speedo as a couple more segments have gone out. I have only one of the 8 segments still working in the last numbers spot...
anyone know where i can score a speedo for an XR ? I have looked on craigslist, ebay, and emailed a couple motorcycle salvage yards...
tried a search for aftermarket guages but that CANBUS seems like it screws us...

any other thoughts? or does anyone know if a speedo from a different vic would work, like a vegas or something?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
This is just plain crazy that you can't buy a speedo from Polaris or anybody else. I just went to a few Polaris parts websites and they don't show a speedo for a XR or a XC! It appears that Polaris has never offered those parts for sale.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yep agreed! it seems if you have a cross country you can find them, but you are **** out of luck with a cross roads...
i just know with the way this thing is progressing, by the end of riding season, i am not sure exactly how much of that LCD is actually going to be available and how much will be guesswork...
I did a search for CANBUS motorcycle speedos and it looks like there are some out there but mostly for HD. have a feeling things are going to get messy....

on the other hand i guess i could just grab the broken one on ebay for $250.....:ltr::crzy:
guess the crack addicts are feeling frisky these days...
whats worse is that there are 2 people watching the auction..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is just plain crazy that you can't buy a speedo from Polaris or anybody else. I just went to a few Polaris parts websites and they don't show a speedo for a XR or a XC! It appears that Polaris has never offered those parts for sale.
well there is hope.
just got an email from Paulie that Polaris has some speedos for the 2010 and 2011 XR's in their factory warehouse... I know what my 2010 speedo looks like, and it looks like the 2011 would work as well, but can anyone confirm if the 2011 speedo would work on the 2010? its a little different set-up but all the lights and such are still there. think the 2011 has the provision for cruise control which isn't on my 2010...

·
13,188 Posts
according to polaris parts page 2010 is all by itself. Even the wiring harness is 2010 only.
looking at the drawing the mount changed along with the cup in 2011.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
So if you change speedo's will your mileage still be the same? Is the odometer mileage stored in the "computer" or is it stored in the speedo?
The websites I was looking at didn't show speedo's for Cross Country's either, just the mounting hardware and bezels.

·
13,188 Posts
So if you change speedo's will your mileage still be the same? Is the odometer mileage stored in the "computer" or is it stored in the speedo?
The websites I was looking at didn't show speedo's for Cross Country's either, just the mounting hardware and bezels.
look at the witchdoctor video

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mileage is in the speed=o. Not the ECM
yep this was confirmed by Paulie and from an earlier email to Polaris about the speedometer...
kind of sucks, but it is what it is... not planning on getting rid of the XR any time soon anyways, but I would at least like to have all the numbers working on the bloody thing.. will just have to remember to do the math anytime i keep the maintenance logs. :)

was looking at a couple different websites about trying to hack the CANBUS system to find the place where mileage is stored... might give that a try if i am feeling frisky. plenty of canbus interfaces on the web..:devil

·
13,188 Posts
MonsterMash

start a new logbook and save old speed-o so a buyer can have it if you ever sell bike

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had segments drop out in LCD displays many times and 9 times out of 10 it's simply a case of cleaning the foam strip where the screen makes contact and popping it back together snuggly. it'll be a fiddly but not impossible.

here's an example video repairing a volt meter screen. same principle and connection method as your display.

https://youtu.be/MTulo_SIE6E

well worth a try. good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
Agreeing with wooshbang here. LCD's are pretty tried, true and reliable. Look at contacts first. Avoid spraying the speedo when washing the bike too.....

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Learn something new everyday! I would say with the vibration that a motorcycle produces combined with dirt and moisture I could see how that would possibly cause the speedo lcd to mess up. Hopefully that is your problem monster mash!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i was looking it up over the weekend... there was one video where they heated up the connection point very slightly with a hair dryer to reattach the ribbon cable... lot of weird fixes out there..
but i'm gonna endure for the rest of the riding season and then mess with it while the bike is in hibernation... don't need to eff it up now and lose what few non-rainy days we have left....

but definitely thanks for the video link!! will report back on this once the white crappy garbage starts flying....
:devil

cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts