Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding this Vic CC for almost 5 years now, I'm convinced that it is one of the top performing "baggers" available(outside of the BMW 1600B). That said, with the mods I've done to the engine it dyno'd at 112hp/113tq....At this level of power I feel I pretty much reached the safe limit of the bike's design(believe me, I've found the limits). So, I feel making the bike any faster than it currently is with further engine mods would require upgrades to the suspension, brakes and with my bike now pushing 57K miles a complete "bearings" replacement of the wheel, steering and swingarm bearings.
I have an aggressive riding style, on a ride I am looking for fast, twisty roads....this is what I love about having a motorcycle....I've reached a cross-roads and the end of the road with this Victory. I belong on a bike designed with more capability and am actively looking at "sport-touring" bikes. That said, I thought I'd open a discussion here and get some of your thoughts before I retire the ol' Vic to the parts bin....lol. Could it be worth an over-haul and major upgrade to this Vic?....and Do you have any ideas to toss at me?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I think if you’re looking for something more sporty, like maybe an FJR or something, you’re not gonna find it with the Vic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think if you’re looking for something more sporty, like maybe an FJR or something, you’re not gonna find it with the Vic.
Just keeping all possibilities open here.... If I could make the Vic more capable, that may be a route to go down.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I hear good things about the Penske shock for the rear and Traxxion Dynamics front. Expensive, but well worth it if you listen to those who’ve invested. They definitely have my interest piqued.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Honda Goldwing

Pain... My son rides a 2018 Honda GoldWing he got in February and already has 6,000 miles on it and he rides it hard in the twisties all the time. Just came back last week-end from riding the Tail of the Dragon for the second time on it and loves it more than his 2012 Goldwing he had. It has lots of good features that you might like. Automatic for one and it has a computer controlled system that you can put it in what they call "Sport Mode" and it makes the twisties even better. Try it you might like it and they have come way down on price now too.

·
12,970 Posts
I think you have a long way to go before wearing the bike out. Over on a vision fourm there are guys with 125K and just starting to replace the belt. The only thing that has worn out is the starter. Most have found bad brushes and water in it. Some at 80K replace the wheel bearings and changed the fork oil. Thats it I guess polaris did buy some good quality parts I said some

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Party on Wayne CLICK

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Bring money, go fast.
How fast can you afford to go at this stage of your life?

That said , what parts of motorcycle ownership lights up your soul?

How much performance do you really want? Is part of the experience you seek knowing that you made the motorcycle perform to this new higher level or would you rather spend that time and money riding further because who made it perform is far secondary to the experience of riding it?

The answers are whatever rings true to your heart now. It's a trade off of resources and the mix might be one way this year and completely different down the road.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well here's my FWIFW input. Baggers (read big-heavy-plush suspension) while if set up well can be fun in the twisties (just had some great road time last weekend running some great roads in central PA) are not the best for 'pushing the envelope' while riding them. A Beemer 'bagger' is about as large a bike as might be considered a really good twisties bike. Other than that, I think vindex is pointing the needle in the right direction. Also might consider the Triumph Tiger 1200 for the twisties and beyond.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great thoughts and comments thanks for posting..
@olddad64 I don't know if a Gold Wing is quite what I'm looking for....but I do know I absolutely, 100% do not want an automatic transmission bike. Plus its well above the price I'm willing to pay for my next bike.
@visionjohnny I know the Vic will last, I just feel like I'm out growing it as it is..
@vindex1963 ..I'm Mike not Wayne but the new H2 is sic. Not that I would even entertain the idea of owning such a thing.
@Joe_ Its not about going faster, is more about having a bike that handles how fast I go.
@ScabbyDoo I'd love to snag a BWM K1600B, its everything I want in bike....All the creature comforts, sitting on wicked power and handling.....But its a no-go do to its price and cost of ownership.
@broggyr I looked up those suspensions and my interest is definitely peaked.... I could re-suspend the bike and do the bearings for around $3k-ish, I bet it handle(and ride) like a dream after this.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
If you can do bearings and suspension for about $3K, that's pretty nice. If you want to add more engine power like a 116" kit, it will end up being over $6K all said and done. $6,300 is exactly what I was recently quoted. I decided I can buy a second bike like a High Ball for just a bit more so there is no longer a BB in my CCT future.

Throwing another $3K at your CC won't increase it's value $0.01. By value I'm talking trade in, retail, wholesale or being totaled by a crash etc. IMHO, my CCT at 61K miles is still way more capable than I am. My knee dragging days are well behind me and I wouldn't be using a CC/CCT for that anyway. It's simply the wrong tool for that job. You could pick up a used R6 or a Honda ST1300 and have a mountain road - twisty road bike that far exceeds your capabilities. You may want to ask yourself a few real world questions like:

1. what level of performance are you comfortable going to?

2. what's your acceptable risk level in real terms? (I sold a Maserati BiTurbo once because I found I was near incapable of driving it without hitting triple digit speeds)

3. what's it worth to you in real dollars and time invested to go faster/lean further etc?

A friend of mine is a retired motor cop and rides a Moto Guzzi 1400 CA Touring. He let an active duty motor cop who competes take his Guzzi around a track last week. My friend simply couldn't believe how the active duty cop rode his Guzzi and what he could make it do. My buddies Guzzi, like most of us with our Victory Cross bikes is far more capable than 95% of us are as riders. I'm guessing Tiger Woods could beat me like a rented mule on the golf course if he was using broom sticks and I had $5K in top tier clubs. The competition cop's comments to my friend when he brought the Guzzi back was "that's pretty nice". My friend was in awe from seeing what his Guzzi could do in the right hands.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I’d argue that adding 3k in suspension upgrades would increase its value to the owner substantially. He’d just not get it back when it’s time to sell.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Chattanooga Mark I'm not tooting my own horn, but honestly I can easily out ride my CC capabilities. As for my riding, I'm not a mental case, I don't have the throttle pinned everywhere I go, I don't screaming down the highway cutting through traffic at 90+mph. I know where I can go fast and push things and where I shouldn't. I LOVE riding motorcycles in all conditions, but what I enjoy the absolute most and what I seek out are those roads where I can let the bike run through technical twists & turns, pushing limits..... As you said, a Victory Cross Country is not the right tool for the job ;)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
As somebody already mentioned, get a FJR! I also ride the twistys hard and I can just about keep up with my buddy who has one but my XR will never handle or have the power that FJR has.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
All great thoughts and comments thanks for posting..
@vindex1963 ..I'm Mike not Wayne but the new H2 is sic. Not that I would even entertain the idea of owning such a thing.
:grin :grin :grin

Party on Garth.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I’d argue that adding 3k in suspension upgrades would increase its value to the owner substantially. He’d just not get it back when it’s time to sell.

I whole heartedly agree with this. But at some point, it may not to be justified. For me, it was a $6300 price tag on an all in all done BB kit for my CCT.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
@Chattanooga Mark I'm not tooting my own horn, but honestly I can easily out ride my CC capabilities. As for my riding, I'm not a mental case, I don't have the throttle pinned everywhere I go, I don't screaming down the highway cutting through traffic at 90+mph. I know where I can go fast and push things and where I shouldn't. I LOVE riding motorcycles in all conditions, but what I enjoy the absolute most and what I seek out are those roads where I can let the bike run through technical twists & turns, pushing limits..... As you said, a Victory Cross Country is not the right tool for the job ;)
I completely understand what you're saying here. Though to easily outrun a Cross bikes capabilities, you may be in the upper percentile of the general motorcycling population. Do you have a strong road racing, race track or dirt bike background?

Regardless, it seems you've outlined a perfectly good reason to sell or trade out the Victory for something you'll enjoy more. Or at least add the 'right' bike to your stable for what you really want from a motorcycle. A used FJR, ST1300, R6, R1 or any number of bikes are far better suited for what you describe as loving a motorcycle for.

What rear suspension psi do you normally run? If under 50, try 70 then ride those same roads in the same fashion. Who knows, you may be able to pick up some previously unseen lean angle.

Regardless, don't sweat wanting to get rid of the Victory. It's a motorcycle, nothing more. A tool to a means of entertainment and enjoyment that 99% of the world's population will never encounter. Life is way too short and none of us are promised tomorrow. Get or keep things in life in their proper order then go for it man. Here I am, cheering you on every step of the way.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Regardless, don't sweat wanting to get rid of the Victory. It's a motorcycle, nothing more. A tool to a means of entertainment and enjoyment that 99% of the world's population will never encounter. Life is way too short and none of us are promised tomorrow. Get or keep things in life in their proper order then go for it man. Here I am, cheering you on every step of the way.
Rubber, plastic and metal nothing more. When it's time I'll throw it away and buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
In my mind performance is more than engine power output. I see the bike as a package where the engine, suspension, brakes, and controls all function as a system. The better matched the components are, the better the machine performs.

Luckily for us, the Victory platform is a good one to modify toward higher engine output, since the chassis tolerates it well. I see Street Glides with turbo systems that make 150 HP and think about that chassis... not sure I would want that much power in a rubber-mount frame configuration. It could get dicey...

I have a friend who rides an FJR 1300 and he was telling me for a couple of years that a cruiser was 'the wrong tool for the job'. He is a strong advocate of Keith Code rider training. Then we went on a trip with 4 bikes to the Smokey Mountains... he could not keep up with the cruisers at all. So... it's very dependent on the monkey between the seat and the handlebars too.

Additionally, some of us (read: me) have a self control issue. If the bike will do it, we will be doing it. This is the main reason I stay with the cruiser platform... it is sort of self-limiting as far as how hard and fast you can strafe the twisties on it. It's simply a bad idea to put my crazy ass on a KTM 1290 SuperDuke… no good will come of it...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I completely understand what you're saying here. Though to easily outrun a Cross bikes capabilities, you may be in the upper percentile of the general motorcycling population. Do you have a strong road racing, race track or dirt bike background?

Regardless, it seems you've outlined a perfectly good reason to sell or trade out the Victory for something you'll enjoy more. Or at least add the 'right' bike to your stable for what you really want from a motorcycle. A used FJR, ST1300, R6, R1 or any number of bikes are far better suited for what you describe as loving a motorcycle for.

What rear suspension psi do you normally run? If under 50, try 70 then ride those same roads in the same fashion. Who knows, you may be able to pick up some previously unseen lean angle.

...this is getting deep. lol
I didn't post this to look for justification, I really want a motorcycle that is more capable. I just have to know what its like to be in control of a machine with the power and handling of an FJR or GTR, I dream of how bikes like these will carve up the twisties I ride on, how they must accelerate when making a pass or getting away at a light and how their performance brakes haul them down.... Not that I don't totally enjoy riding the Vic and have fun doing it, having that much more a sport-tourer has to offer is just drawing me to them :cool: or I could just be finally having my mid-life crisis .... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts