Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another general question. First, I am not in law enforcement of any kind, and this question/ situation could be considered hypothetical. I know a person ;) who used to have motorcycle endorsement on their drivers license, but let it drop after several years of owning no bike. They have gone down to the DMV and took a written test and received their motorcycle learners permit. To get their motorcycle license, they have to bring a bike and take a drivers test in an empty parking lot with cones set up. At a local dealer, they were told they could not test drive (to purchase) a bike without a license.

Hmmm, need a bike to get a license. Need a license to get a bike. For reals? lol

HYPOTHETICALLY, how many actually ride without a license. My friend is retired military, but does not ever go on base anymore, so that is not an issue.

Thoughts?:D

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
He only needs the license to test ride, not to buy. I wouldn't let an unlicensed person ride anything of mine. Prolly isn't legal or insurable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Could always take the safety course. You can ride their bike and recieve a license at the end of the class. As for the test ride, yeah that's a liability on the dealer if they let people without a license ride their bikes.

If you ever want a good laugh go watch one of these safety riders courses. You will see people who have no clue what they are doing attempt to ride, if you can ride a bicycle and operate a manual transmission you are already above 90% of the class.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lazy

Riding without a license is just plain lazy on a riders part. It also says they may not have the ability to pass a written & driving test. Now there is a scary thought. :(

Would you want your daughter riding on back with him?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Safety course is the way to go.I recommend even seasoned riders take one at some time in their life.
Don t blame a shop for not letting anyone test drive without a MC endorsement on their drivers license.

·
Registered
784 Posts
BRC. Problem solved. At worst, he may learn a few things and knock off a little rust. At the unthinkable it could teach him something to save his life.
Your friends Mileage May Vary.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another vote for the safety course.

Also when I bought my first bike I only had a learners permit when I got insurance. I informed my insurance company as soon as I passed my MSF course but didn't let them know I had a license. A few years later I was reviewing my policy when I got my Victory and realized that I wasn't getting the discount for having a license :( My fault for not telling them specifically but still pissed me off :rolleyes:

My point however is that you also save some money on your insurance for both the MSF course as well as having a license (at least with Progressive anyway).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have another general question. First, I am not in law enforcement of any kind, and this question/ situation could be considered hypothetical. I know a person ;) who used to have motorcycle endorsement on their drivers license, but let it drop after several years of owning no bike. They have gone down to the DMV and took a written test and received their motorcycle learners permit. To get their motorcycle license, they have to bring a bike and take a drivers test in an empty parking lot with cones set up. At a local dealer, they were told they could not test drive (to purchase) a bike without a license.

Hmmm, need a bike to get a license. Need a license to get a bike. For reals? lol

HYPOTHETICALLY, how many actually ride without a license. My friend is retired military, but does not ever go on base anymore, so that is not an issue.

Nothing wrong with riding with your permit. But that will get annoying after a while. You can't ride after dusk and you can't have a passenger. And permit is only valid for a year, so you have to re-take the test every year.

Riding without a permit OR license would be really stupid, as that is a criminal offense.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could always take the safety course. You can ride their bike and recieve a license at the end of the class. As for the test ride, yeah that's a liability on the dealer if they let people without a license ride their bikes.

If you ever want a good laugh go watch one of these safety riders courses. You will see people who have no clue what they are doing attempt to ride, if you can ride a bicycle and operate a manual transmission you are already above 90% of the class.
Some may call it a good laugh. I personally call it "holy sh**, that person is sharing roads with me!"

In my class when I got my license, there was a gal who dropped the bike six times through the two days of practice. She screwed up virtually every exercise we worked on. Absolutely had no business being on a bike. Come time for the actual test, she friggin nailed it. Since the instructors are not able to deny someone a license based on what happened during the practice times, she got her license. Makes me scared, quite frankly, for HER life. I hope she learned how to really ride since then, because the thought of her on a bike is just alarming.

·
13,172 Posts

Insurance to cover there ass would not if no endorsement

·
Premium Member
294 Posts

This probably won't go over well but I don't see a big deal about it. I know guys who've been riding for 20+ years without so much as a permit and they ride as good as anyone else I've ridden with. Just know your liable if anything does go wrong because insurance won't cover you.

I look at it this way. Someone on a 600lbs motorcycle is more likely to hurt themselves than other people if something goes wrong. I'm more scared of all the teenage kids wielding a 5,000lbs car that just got their license which took ALOT less skill.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
He only needs the license to test ride, not to buy. I wouldn't let an unlicensed person ride anything of mine. Prolly isn't legal or insurable.
IC 9-24-18-3
Permitting unlicensed person to drive
Sec. 3. (a) A person that has a motor vehicle in the person's custody may not cause or knowingly permit a person to drive the vehicle upon a highway unless the person obtains a license or permit under this article.
(b) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.12.
IC 9-24-18-4
Permitting unlawful use of vehicle
Sec. 4. (a) A person may not authorize or knowingly permit a motor vehicle owned by the person or under the person's control to be driven by a person who does not have a legal right to do so or in violation of this title.
(b) A person who violates this section commits a Class C infraction.
IC 9-24-18-6
Required licenses; enforcement proceedings; burden of proof
Sec. 6. In a proceeding to enforce IC 9-24-1 requiring the operator of a vehicle to have a certain type of license, the burden is on the defendant to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the defendant had been issued the applicable license or permit and that the license was valid at the time of the alleged offense.

The violations and fines just keep adding up, Then you get lawyers involved. So if you do not play by the rules don't cry when you pay for the rest of your life in fines and lawyer fees.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Let yours lapse and get pulled over by the po-po for exercising your performance mods, then get back to us and let us know how it went.
In our area, nothing. One of the guys I mentioned rides a rigid 300 tire chopper with a springer front end, suicide pistol grip clutch/shifter, and S&S stroker engine. He got stopped by a state motorcycle cop for no rearview mirror. He got told to take it home. Guess he figured if he was good enough to ride that bike (I won't even try to), he was good enough to get it home just fine. I was more upset our ride got cut short.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I say skip the license, and let your 'cage' license lapse as well, while you're at it drop ALL insurance you have (saves a ton of $) and stop paying taxes too! Screw em! Down with THE MAN!

This message has been brought to you by the Anarcy Society.

thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
In our area, nothing. One of the guys I mentioned rides a rigid 300 tire chopper with a springer front end, suicide pistol grip clutch/shifter, and S&S stroker engine. He got stopped by a state motorcycle cop for no rearview mirror. He got told to take it home. Guess he figured if he was good enough to ride that bike (I won't even try to), he was good enough to get it home just fine. I was more upset our ride got cut short.
A friend of mine, Mike, was asked by his son's friend to test out some Iron Horse mini-chopper that he just bought used. The original owner paid like $34k for it. He ended up selling it for $10k.

My friend rode it and told him it functioned, though admitted to me that he didn't have the heart to tell him what a POS it was. Front end flapping, shaking, no suspension, he could have had a better time jumping in a washing machine and pressing "Heavy Load."

He said the new owner was very excited about how "cool" Mike looked riding it. The things newbies are tickled by...whew.

Admittedly, as to licensing, I do something similar every time I buy a new bike. I transfer the plates and ride it like that until the next time the plates come due. You are supposed to go back within a month and pay the govies more to transfer the registration.

I got pulled over once after I did that and I think I confused the cop because at one point after the stop he took my license and came back and asked me what kind of motorcycle I was riding. I told him it was a Yamaha (Blue), the license plate was registered to a gray Ducati. He went back to the car then came back a little later and told me to slow down. The registration discrepancy either confused him or he didn't want to bother dealing with it.

I had seen the cop coming far ahead and was pretty sure I had slowed down (briskly) before he was near enough to nab me with his radar.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
It's funny you mentioned Iron Horse choppers because a friend just bought one for a first bike. I haven't seen it yet. He wanted a Victory originally because they arent common but changed his mind since I bought one first :ltr:

·
Registered
112 Posts
A Ironhorse as a first bike? That's like getting thrown in the deep end with lead anchors around your feet and told to swim.

·
Registered
813 Posts
take the course. I did, even gives you break on most insurance companies.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just know your liable if anything does go wrong because insurance won't cover you.
Actually a friend of mine bought a V Star Raider as his first bike. The Raider has 113 ci engine and is slightly raked. Anyway, he totaled that bike and the insurance company bought he a new one...all without an endorsement. I'm not saying you shouldn't get your endorsement, I personally fell you should via a safety course even if you've been riding for years, but I am saying insurance companies don't care as long as they get their money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts