Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my bike I decided to get a personalize plate for it because I was in a good mood. The bike is purple so I went with HAYZE. I originally tried for HAZE but it was not available. It was not really a reference to Jimi Hendrix or pot or anything else drug related. It made me think mainly of when I was younger which was a good place in my life (life is still good today).

In Ohio you can renew plates online and my tags are up for renewal soon so I thought I would give HAZE another try. It was available this time so I paid and finished the process. The next day, I received a message to give the BMV a call. When I finally spoke to someone, I was asked “what was I getting at” by putting HAZE on the plate. I explained that it was more of a theme with the bike than anything else. The BVM lady told me she would send it back through for approval. Today I was told that HAZE had been rejected again and to call her to decide other options.

Maybe it’s just me but WTF! It’s not like I was trying to make a statement supporting drug use or anything else evil or befoul. I guess what I am most amazed at is that there is someone (at the BMV no less) that think they have some unique insight into what such a benign word means to everyone.

Now, I’m not sure if I am going to keep HAYZE or just have them issue me a standard plate and save some money. In the whole scheme of things, it doesn’t really matter. :crzy:

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
You could always go for 3M-TA3

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What is profane?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Profane,
1. characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
2. not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (sacred).
3. unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... I explained that it was more of a theme with the bike than anything else...
Next time, say it's your nickname, or your daughter's name. Otherwise you leave the door open for them to over think it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Profane,
1. characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
2. not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (sacred).
3. unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.

Subjective. POV. As a practical matter it should have no place in the bureaucratic processes of a constitutional republic since what is profane to one may not be profane to the many, but then again we only accept constitutional republicanism when it suits our fancy.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
When I finally spoke to someone, I was asked “what was I getting at” by putting HAZE on the plate. I explained that it was more of a theme with the bike than anything else. The BVM lady told me she would send it back through for approval. Today I was told that HAZE had been rejected again and to call her to decide other options.
Next time, tell'em it's in memory of Woody. Everyone in Ohio loves Ohio State.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could always go for 3M-TA3
I had to look that one up. Never heard of it before but then again, I was a little ahead of the Beastie Boys. I think it is hilarious but what do you expect from an apparent drug supporter? :ltr:

Next time, say it's your nickname, or your daughter's name. Otherwise you leave the door open for them to over think it.
That might be the way to go. I asked why it wasn't banned and was told that they couldn't do that...What if it were your name?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I had to look that one up. Never heard of it before but then again, I was a little ahead of the Beastie Boys. I think it is hilarious but what do you expect from an apparent drug supporter? :ltr:
I had no idea it was from the Beastie Boys. But, just imagine seeing 3M-TA3 in your rear-view mirror.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had no idea it was from the Beastie Boys. But, just imagine seeing 3M-TA3 in your rear-view mirror.
Have no idea what the Beastie Boys have to do with it but it was around well before them. As I said it was on my car in 1978.
Here where I'm at all it takes is one person getting online to the DMV stating they were offended by your plates, and they will be revoked. The plates could say "ANGEL", and there is no appeals process, just gone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts