Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went thru a real rough patch a few yrs ago-had to close the doors on my cabinet shop, move in with my little brother, basically start over. First time in my life I didn't work. Spent months on his couch. Was a scary time for this kid. I will forever be in his debt for him sticking by me & believing I would get it back together.

A little over 2 yrs ago he got me a job where he has worked for the past 28 yrs- a major defense contractor. Now I am basically a glorified handyman. The work sometimes sucks but it is a great job. A constant 40 hrs a week, flexible schedule, decent pay & benefits you can't believe. And ZERO stress. Which is very very important to me at this point.

I have after 4 yrs of not building anything custom finally started doing some nice woodwork again. Another benefit of working for a large company like this is the fact that there is a client base right there for side jobs. Clients that are all top dollar engineers, that most have really nice houses.

The guy I am working for now just bought this house in Rolling Hills Estates (very exclusive area of Los Angeles) on 1/2 acre lot, 6500 square foot house, got it in a short sale or something, paid 1/2 price for it- six million frickin dollars. The cabinetry was never completed, as were a lot of little carpentry items. First item on my list of chores here was drilling for & installing knobs on all the cabinet doors throughout the house. Two hundred & thirty seven knobs!! I've worked on a lot of really nice houses, but 237 frickin cabinet doors & drawers? geez...

Anyway, I don't know how I got off on this tangent, what I ment to write about was the fact that life got better for me tonight. Here I am, finally loving life again, doing work that makes me feel good about myself, riding the bike of my dreams, got a neat new lady friend... how could things get any better you ask?

Well, let me tell you. Look at the picture below. I discovered this stuff 12 yrs ago when I was doing a lot of travelling for work, building the cabinet display areas in Home Depot stores. Was in Bend, Oregon, & had 1/2 a day off cuz of material not showing up, so me & my helper walked downtown Bend to see what we could find. What we found was the nectar of the gods. I only saw it afterwards in one restaurant & a few liquor stores in & around the pacific northwest.

Now it is in Southern California bottled in handy 12 ounce containers!! Life is SOOOO good my friends!!

thumb upcheersthumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Guess I should show one of my recent projects... this is a fake mantle in a buddies office. The "stone" surround is actually laminate (like formica) This was the first woodwork I had done in almost 4 yrs, was a little apprehensive that I would pull it off nicely. I dunno what I was worried about, couldn't have gone any better. I built the bookshelves, the mantle, did the crown molding, & various sundry items thruout the office...

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are a few of the more choice jobs I did yrs ago- all designed, built, finished, & installed by yours truely

Attachments

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Yes, Fish, life IS good and surviving stage 4 twice, I can attest to that. You are quite the guy; not only do you crank out a beauty of a reservoir cover in metal, you are a fantastic "Wood Butcher," as I like to refer to carpenters. We have more microbreweries here in Portland than Starbucks, and they produce literally hundreds of brews. If ever you are in my neck-of-the-woods, give me a call and we'll go sampling.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fish,

You are an inspiration. There are a lot of people that have had to succumb to the "E" word. To see and personally hear of someone who has lost it and turned it back around cannot be understated. It is a miraculous feat in this day and age. Not to mention you're back into something you like to do and still enjoying it. Bravo my man! I can only hope that if my day ever comes I would have the strength and perseverance to do the same. Unfortunately the only thing I think I would like to do on a daily basis and get paid for is to ride my Vegas around all day. Don't think I'm gonna get paid for that :mad:.

Great woodwork too btw. You gots mad skills yo! I recently got into doing some woodwork in the process of remodeling my house. I have always loved working with wood, might have dust in veins. I've taken a good amount of African Mahogany that is book matched, distressed and using them for caps for a pony wall and stair well wall. Also doing the same on some pine for baseboards and door casings. I've also started the process of refinishing kitchen cabs from the manufactured 1982 cabinets to a, umm worn look? Don't know what it's called. But I've painted the cabs black, then an off white rubbing down the corners to expose the black a little and making it worn. Point being is, if you're down for it I would like you to critique them. I can send pics or post them somewhere. But I have been looking for a pro's opinion on the work and then saw your post. Timing is everything.

Don't want to derail your thread into a "how does this look?" thread, so I'd probably start a new thread or private discussion on this matter if you'd be willing to lend a helpful eye.

Congrats again on the positive life changes. You deserve more than 1 bottle of Mirror Pond and a silly little smiley icon thumb up<<<<<like that. But it's all I got right now.

Cheers Fish, stay happy and ride safe.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Fish, life IS good and surviving stage 4 twice, I can attest to that. You are quite the guy; not only do you crank out a beauty of a reservoir cover in metal, you are a fantastic "Wood Butcher," as I like to refer to carpenters. We have more microbreweries here in Portland than Starbucks, and they produce literally hundreds of brews. If ever you are in my neck-of-the-woods, give me a call and we'll go sampling.
Thanks buddy! Glad you pulled thru TWICE!! wow! That is so good to hear, a long ago love of mine is in a serious battle with cancer right now. She is going thru an alternative treatment called Cesium- it seems to be working. If nothing else, it is making her feel better.
Which is a good thing.

I don't have any immediate plans to be in Portland, I am heading to San Fran next month... but if ever I find myself in the land of perpetual rust I will get in touch!!

thumb upcheersthumb up

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fish,

You are an inspiration. There are a lot of people that have had to succumb to the "E" word. To see and personally hear of someone who has lost it and turned it back around cannot be understated. It is a miraculous feat in this day and age. Not to mention you're back into something you like to do and still enjoying it. Bravo my man! I can only hope that if my day ever comes I would have the strength and perseverance to do the same. Unfortunately the only thing I think I would like to do on a daily basis and get paid for is to ride my Vegas around all day. Don't think I'm gonna get paid for that :mad:.

Great woodwork too btw. You gots mad skills yo! I recently got into doing some woodwork in the process of remodeling my house. I have always loved working with wood, might have dust in veins. I've taken a good amount of African Mahogany that is book matched, distressed and using them for caps for a pony wall and stair well wall. Also doing the same on some pine for baseboards and door casings. I've also started the process of refinishing kitchen cabs from the manufactured 1982 cabinets to a, umm worn look? Don't know what it's called. But I've painted the cabs black, then an off white rubbing down the corners to expose the black a little and making it worn. Point being is, if you're down for it I would like you to critique them. I can send pics or post them somewhere. But I have been looking for a pro's opinion on the work and then saw your post. Timing is everything.

Don't want to derail your thread into a "how does this look?" thread, so I'd probably start a new thread or private discussion on this matter if you'd be willing to lend a helpful eye.

Congrats again on the positive life changes. You deserve more than 1 bottle of Mirror Pond and a silly little smiley icon thumb up<<<<<like that. But it's all I got right now.

Cheers Fish, stay happy and ride safe.
Thank you so very much for such a meaningful reply!! But I'm sorry, I don't know what 'the "E" word' refers to...

I didn't really touch on much of what I went thru, but it was not fun. Lets just say that addiction is a bitch. I never had a problem doing drugs, just had problems when I ran out!!:ltr: 4 1/2 yrs clean now, & loving life again...

I sent you a PM in regards to your woodworking questions...

hope to hear from ya!
Greg

edited to add; If you do find a job that pays you to ride, remember your good buddy fish!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "E" word, being the Economy. To me, the word has become more profane than any other word in the English language.
yeah, its scary how much damage was done... The economy did have a lot to do with my downward sprial, but a lot of it was self-inflicted...

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Thanks buddy! Glad you pulled thru TWICE!! wow! That is so good to hear, a long ago love of mine is in a serious battle with cancer right now. She is going thru an alternative treatment called Cesium- it seems to be working. If nothing else, it is making her feel better.
Which is a good thing.

I don't have any immediate plans to be in Portland, I am heading to San Fran next month... but if ever I find myself in the land of perpetual rust I will get in touch!!

thumb upcheersthumb up
Fish,
I wish her and anyone dealing with cancer a thorough recovery. I am very lucky as my cancer is so rare, there is no known treatment. So far, they've been able to know it out of the park.
As soon as the rains cease (hah!) the fellow who's buying my biz and I are hopping on our bikes and doing a tour of the route to introduce him to my customers. The route goes down I-5 to Sacto, then down 99 and over the Grapevine to Valencia and west to Ventura. Then its up 101 all the way thru CA and OR. Are we gonna come close to where you reside?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fish,
I wish her and anyone dealing with cancer a thorough recovery. I am very lucky as my cancer is so rare, there is no known treatment. So far, they've been able to know it out of the park.
As soon as the rains cease (hah!) the fellow who's buying my biz and I are hopping on our bikes and doing a tour of the route to introduce him to my customers. The route goes down I-5 to Sacto, then down 99 and over the Grapevine to Valencia and west to Ventura. Then its up 101 all the way thru CA and OR. Are we gonna come close to where you reside?
Not close really, but close enough for me to meet ya... Valencia ia about an hour from me... there is a little bar & grill I could meet ya at- they have the best fish tacos I have ever had...it is just south of Magic Mountian amusement park...I've been looking for an excuse to go there, hadnt been in quite a few yrs...

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
It's great that you recovered from whatever you had issues with. I'm not one to judge anyone, but at least you didn't give up and took personal responsibility.

That is some great wood working. I wish I had some craftsmanship like that in my house but I am both two cheap and unskilled.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It's great that you recovered from whatever you had issues with. I'm not one to judge anyone, but at least you didn't give up and took personal responsibility.

That is some great wood working. I wish I had some craftsmanship like that in my house but I am both two cheap and unskilled.
That personal responsibility thing is very important to me. Always has been. It's really sad how many peeps never grasp that concept.

edited to add; thank you very much by the way!

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
That personal responsibility thing is very important to me. Always has been. It's really sad how many peeps never grasp that concept.
From my perspective, personal responsibility and morality are two things that are rapidly disappearing from our culture. The result is the chaos we have seen and will be experiencing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From my perspective, personal responsibility and morality are two things that are rapidly disappearing from our culture. The result is the chaos we have been and will be experiencing.
I agree my friend... it's very sad, but true

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Fish,
You do great work my man, the cabinetry is awesome! Thank you for sharing the photos or your work and your story. I'm extremely impressed by the fact that you haven't let life beat you and you've been able to stay clean. Be strong and don't let portions of your past creep back up on you - you've got talents that the world needs you to keep sharing with it!

Umb_

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Nice work, Mr. Slap-A-Fish! I'm going to have to consider your services next time I need a talented carpenter. Glad to hear you've got to enjoy the sunshine after the rain. cheers

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fish,
You do great work my man, the cabinetry is awesome! Thank you for sharing the photos or your work and your story. I'm extremely impressed by the fact that you haven't let life beat you and you've been able to stay clean. Be strong and don't let portions of your past creep back up on you - you've got talents that the world needs you to keep sharing with it!

Umb_
Thank you very much little brother!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts