Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently noticed a tapping sound that is different than the usual ticking on my 2014 CCT. I listened with the broom stick trick but could not pinpoint a location. I thought it might be a lifter but want to make sure it isn’t something more serious.

https://youtu.be/7sOdzvpyUpE

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Until I switched to Rotella T-6, I had lifter noise. T-6 starts out cold as a 5W, so it flows faster and fills the lifters rapidly. That would be a cheap and easy fix, if it works.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just noticed this after my last oil change but I also removed the neck curtain from my helmet as well. So it could have been there throughout the winter. I went from Rotella T5 15w40 to Lucus 20w50. Thinking it it could be an oil issue I took two quarts out and replaced with 2 quarts of Rottella T4 15w40. I shot the video after this. I’ll change to T6 to see if it helps.

Will it hurt anything to ride with this going on until I can change the oil? Can the rocker/lifter be changed with the engine in place?

·
13,003 Posts
You'll be fine. Try starting bike with standing up. Then let it rest on kickstand while you get ready.
Mine used to tick when I started it then for some reason I started bike standing up and ticking stopped

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Yup, sounds fairly normal to me as well. The 106 is a 'noisy' motor which is one of the reasons I chuckle a bit when I read or hear people say they want 'Victory technology' in a Polaris Indian. I've always used Victory oil change kits and have 4 or kits 5 left. Once they're gone I'll also be switching to Rotella T5 or T6. Many owners have said the engines and the trans quiet down considerably with Rotella.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts