Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating buying a Vision Tour and so far have been very impressed by everything about the bike. Took one for a demo ride some time ago and was really impressed. I do have a question about servicing the bike though. I have a 2007 Ultra Classic right now and to lift the bike for servicing, cleaning and parking the bike in tight spots I have a Pitbull lift which works great. I see on the Vision on the bottom of the bike there are no framerails to do the same. At the Cycle World show last week I asked one of the guys in the Victory booth how could I use my lift to do that to a Vision and he said same way, just jack it up using the bottom of the motor. Is this a for real answer or was he just being a salesman. I know it may seem trivial but working on the bike is one of the things I enjoy about owning a bike. Does anyone here agree with that answer or is there another way to do it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I have seen pictures of a Vision on a lift like mine. Now the next step will be to rent a Vision for a day or two in order to get a better idea of how I like the bike. As soon as all this darn snow, salt and ice are gone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks guys, I have seen pictures of a Vision on a lift like mine. Now the next step will be to rent a Vision for a day or two in order to get a better idea of how I like the bike. As soon as all this darn snow, salt and ice are gone!
Any bike that I have jacked up before has been done with the jack pads under the tubular steel frame members. When I test rode a Vision last fall I got off and checked the bottom to see how it could be jacked up. I know a lot of guys are using the bottom of the engine but I have big concerns about lifting the entire weight of an 850 lb motorcycle on the bottom of the engine crankcase. Unless the casing is made of solid plate steel I'd be worried about the possibility of a stress fracture occuring or hairline cracks developing in time. That could be one expensive repair job.The engine may act as a frame member but this would be hanging weight as opposed to supported weight.

I have chosen to go with a centre stand on mine which can be deployed on top of a piece of wood to get the rear wheel off the pavement. The oldest Visions and their engines are only a couple of years old now. It will be interesting to see if anybody who is jacking up the bike by the engine starts having problems down the road. :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am contemplating buying a Vision Tour and so far have been very impressed by everything about the bike. Took one for a demo ride some time ago and was really impressed. I do have a question about servicing the bike though. I have a 2007 Ultra Classic right now and to lift the bike for servicing, cleaning and parking the bike in tight spots I have a Pitbull lift which works great. I see on the Vision on the bottom of the bike there are no frame rails to do the same. At the Cycle World show last week I asked one of the guys in the Victory booth how could I use my lift to do that to a Vision and he said same way, just jack it up using the bottom of the motor. Is this a for real answer or was he just being a salesman. I know it may seem trivial but working on the bike is one of the things I enjoy about owning a bike. Does anyone here agree with that answer or is there another way to do it?
I have a Pit Bull Dyan Lift. My previous bike was a Yamaha Venture. I had to have an adapter frame to lift that bike with any jack. Well I may not have had to but I wanted one because I didn't like lifting the bike by the oil pan. Anyway I traded my Venture in for a Vision and couldn't figure out how to lift my bike. Thankfully Pitbull is only about and hour and a half ride from my place and that is just tooling along. I met with Tony and he showed me the best way to lift my bike with the Dyna Jack. I am going to share a video with you to show you how I lift my Vision. Please notice how the lifting rails are turned though. By turning the rails in the configuration they are it makes the bike extremely solid on the lift. Pitbull is a great company and I highly recommend their lifts. I spent weeks looking for a lift before I bought this one. I can't see owning an $20,000.00+ motorcycle and skimping out on a lift. Kind of like skimping out on a helmet. Anyway here is the URL to my video:

http://youtu.be/l1jJzwoZhSs

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here are some pictures of my Vision on a Pitbull Dyna Lift. Notice how the lifting rails are configured. It makes the Vision rock solid on the lift.

·
13,318 Posts
Have no photos but there most all vision owners that have a left and jack it up by motor.
Never read what and one has cracked a motor case this way. Right out out the owners manual.
MAINTENANCE
Maintenance
Lifting The Motorcycle
Some procedures such as tire removal, and steering, fork, swingarm, or axle inspection
require lifting of the motorcycle to remove weight from the component being inspected.
The motorcycle can be elevated by placing a stable, flat platform jack or lift mechanism on
a firm flat surface and lifting under the engine crankcase. The platform should be a
minimum 12 inches square. DO NOT attempt to lift the motorcycle without proper
equipment or without properly securing the motorcycle so it cannot tip or fall when
elevated.
WARNING
Care should be taken to be sure the motorcycle will not tip or fall while elevated or while on
the sidestand. Serious injury or death can occur if the motorcycle tips or falls

·
Registered
470 Posts
i can't bring myself to lift my xr by the cases. i have a cheap but good lift, i just can't see how lifting the entire bike by the motor case would be a good idea. kinda like jacking your car up by the oil pan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will look at mine again but I don't believe mine is jacked up by the oil pan. I have had mine sitting on my jack all winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts