Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

lifting bike with standard Floorjack question

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  RICZ 
#1 ·
Hello all....
Saw a post somewhere about lifting the Vegas w/ a standard Floorjack.

I actually did it & was more than pleased, made it much much easier to clean rear
wheel & drive belt..
I just can't locate the posting & can't recall where I placed the jack.....

Any info will be greatly appreciated..
>Gary

2013 Vic Vegas

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I use this:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Hoist/dp/B01M33H1RE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518453206&sr=8-6&keywords=motorcycle+floor+jack[/ame]
It folds nice and flat when not in use. You can use a large step ladder and straps to stabilize the bike when its lifted. I lift under the engine as far back as I can go without touching the oil filter. With a large flat lifting surface you avoid putting any concentrated force on the engine case.

#17 ·
I use this:
https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcy...8453206&sr=8-6&keywords=motorcycle+floor+jack
It folds nice and flat when not in use. You can use a large step ladder and straps to stabilize the bike when its lifted. I lift under the engine as far back as I can go without touching the oil filter. With a large flat lifting surface you avoid putting any concentrated force on the engine case.
I also use one like that and I can lift the whole bike, front or back wheel depending on jack placement. Works great. Just be careful if you are taking off heavy items so you don't change the center of the bike weight.

#3 ·

Attachments

#18 ·
what Spacecoast is not the safest jack. Its more of a crash waiting to happen.
I wonder if you have ever owned one of those lifts? I have three, one for each bike, and have been using them for several years. They work great. I also have table-style lift and a couple of the hydraulic lifts similar to the one you mention. But I find myself almost always using the mechanical scizzor/fat jack. Very well built and capable of lifting my fat girls.

#4 ·
I've been using the steel bike jack and the aluminum bike jack from Harbor Freight for a long time with no issues at all. I got a good deal on the aluminum one so I sold the steel one.

Yes; you do need to make sure it's on there good and solid. With the X-bikes some spacers are needed if you don't run an engine guard underneath. Steel frame bikes can be a little wobbly too. The scissor jack posted above is also a great jack; especially if you have a full bike lift.

#5 ·
what Spacecoast is not the safest jack. Its more of a crash waiting to happen.
Depends...I use it to lift either the front wheel or the rear...but not the entire bike. I think most products can be wobbly if used solely, so I never lift the entire bike. I recently used it to raise the rear tire and adjust the drive belt, and used my son's weight-lifting rack to secure the front of the bike. The jack did it's job and easily lifted the rear tire and was quite stable. Without doubt the power-rack added a lot of stability since it's bolted to the garage floor.

#6 ·
Yep. Using jacks has to be done with the thought in mind any change in weight off the front or back like wheel or even saddlebag removal can cause it to be front or back heavy. That's another reason those scissor jacks are so great. Add one to the heavy end and viola; weight distribution problem fixed.

When I changed the heavy mufflers in the pic above I did one side at a time to minimize this weight issue but in retrospect; it would have been a good idea to use the scissor jack under the front or even jack stands to make sure it would not tip forward and off the floor jack.

#7 ·
I have a Harbor Freight Daytona 3 ton fast jack for all my vehicles. Lifts my 5K SUV like butter in just 3 pumps, 4.5 to get it all the way up. Lifts the KP in 2 pumps. It sits low at 4" and runs to just under 24". Its basically the same as a Snap on but you get them for 179 bucks with a coupon. 199 without.

Harbor freight sells a cross beam that attaches to it. You can weld or use a cut rubber pads on the beam to fit the Vic. If you measure the frame you can also use some heavy 1/2-1" rubber pads and lift by the frame for more sturdy lifting. Beam runs about 44 bucks normally but can get it on sale for 38 bucks.

I also have heavy J hooks on the rafters I hang ratchet straps on so keep it from going left to right. I suppose you can even sue jack stands on parts of the frame as well.

Saves a hell of a lot of space in the garage over a bike lift and half the cost. Plus it can be used for any vehicle.

#8 ·
Thank you guys for all the response, Really appreciate it...
I'll look into a lift..

>Gary

Very very sweet rides you guys have.. VisionJohnny, Like the Color!!!!
This is my First Vic... Had her for about a year now & we have logged in
9,0000 miles,
San Diego... Always riding weather out here.

#9 ·
I have one each (6" & 10") of the scissor jack shown on the Amazon link. The narrow one under the front part of the engine - wide one under the rear part (with spacers to level the bike). I use them to lift the bike just enough to spin the tires to clean the wheels and examine the tires. Winter storage (4 to 5 months) I use both to leave bike parked in a vertical position to save a few inches of walk around space in the garage, and to take a little pressure off the tires and suspension.

#11 ·
Why would you buy that jack ? when scizor lifts are cheap,

Andre using TaPaTaLk

#13 ·
I am not sure why you would choose to use that type of jack (3 ton floor jack) when you can buy a motorcycle jack for roughly half as much. I have two of the Harbor Freight yellow steel jacks and the one I bought new was about $60 with a coupon. The other I got for $40 from a Craigslist ad.

#14 ·
More important than being less expensive, a typical scissor jack designed for motorcycles is far more stable than a standard single point lift floor jack. That's nothing but an accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: rojo154 and broggyr
#15 ·
I wouldn’t use a standard floor jack without an additional way to stabilize the motorcycle. If you just lift the motorcycle with a standard jack, it’s just gonna fall over.

#16 ·
And if you end up under the bike it ain't gonna be pretty.

Reactions: broggyr
#22 ·
I agree that the jack pictured by BP6666VR would be very difficult to use on a motorcycle. What would it lift against? I suppose it would have to be part of the engine which would put tremendous stress on a small area. How would the bike balance on a small area about 6" in diameter. It would seem that removing even one wheel while on a jack like this would unbalance the bike and lead to it crashing down. Even loosening or tightening any bolt with a significant torque spec would send the bike crashing down.

#23 ·
I have and use 3 jacks - the ones mentioned in posts 2 and 3 plus a cheapie floor jack. The scissors jack is used when I want the bike vertical and/or a bit off the floor. The motorcycle jack for raising the bike high enough to remove the rear tire. The weakie floor jack goes under the rear tire to unweight it to remove the two bolts at the swing arms and then ease the wheel down. Then reverse that to re-install the wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.