Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not mentioning any names :rolleyes: but my buddies are split. One says use them and the other said no go. Normally I just do what I want anyway but on this I can not decide. So I'm asking for opinions.
I really want more lighting up front than the LED strips I run on the fairing. I bought a generic light setup, once I test mounted them I realized this might not work out as intended. I thought the actual housings would be smaller and would have more mounting option. Ideally I want them mounted on the inside of the crash bar, easy enough but I'd have to trim a large portion of my Lock&Ride close outs out and this is permanent. The other option is to mount them outside the bars which will require only a small trim of the close outs, but I'm not sure I like the "look". Below is a couple of pics, looking for opinions or ideas. thx.
Outside forward mount

Inside mount(not mine)

·
13,003 Posts
PaiN

does Moma know you have her best blue blanket outside on the driveway.

Think if lights were horizontal you might have better lighting.
Nighttime will tell

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't have either on mine Bro, how about the ones I have?
I have come across those bar mounted LEDs....They are expensive around $200 if I recall? Do they light up the road ahead at all or are they just for added visibility?

PaiN

does Moma know you have her best blue blanket outside on the driveway.

Think if lights were horizontal you might have better lighting.
Nighttime will tell
That blankie would be in the trash if Momma had her way. Its an old moving blanket we had something wrapped in years ago, she wanted me to get rid of it but I said no way and have used it a million times since. It beats lying on the asphalt any day :)
I haven't thought about a horizontal mount...but it might not be possible, the lights would have to go on the bottom bar. If they were under it, they'd get torn up in corners and above they really interfere with the close-outs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Cirrus lights are $200. They do give good light, not as good as a spot light like the ones you have there. They also improve visibility to other drivers quite dramatically IMO. I can't see putting ugly crap on my ride and I think your bike is a butte! So I suppose it comes down to your objectives. If you are trying to light the road for a mile ahead of you, maybe stick with those. If you are trying to improve your visibility, the Cirrus lights work great and they do provide additional light at night.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've mentioned in other posts, super happy with the Vic factory LED assembly and the Clearwater Darla running lights. One cool thing about the Darlas is you can adjust the output when you have low beams selected.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I've mentioned in other posts, super happy with the Vic factory LED assembly and the Clearwater Darla running lights. One cool thing about the Darlas is you can adjust the output when you have low beams selected.
I too have the Darlas mounted with the Clearwater model specific hardware just below the crashbars and using the lower cowling bolt location but with longer bolts.
But the OP needs to mount a completely different light configuration. Might I suggest looking at a fork mount? There are many clamps out there that can do the job. Just a thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craptastic!! :) Thanks RICZ, seeing your pic just gave me an idea hadn't considered before....
I could mount these lights to the outer chin fairings. This would take care of many issues with this setup. 1. the lights will look unobtrusive tucked in close 2. they'll give effective road lighting. 3. I won't have to drill the crash bar to run wires 4. there will be no cutting or interference with the close-outs 5. I can utilize the in-line Deutsch connectors as quick disconnects if I ever have to remove the chin sides in the future.
I can't wait to get at the bike to check this possibility out.....

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I'm always delighted when I can be enlightening. Be sure to do a "drip loop" on the wire leading to the lights so water does not enter them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Fender mounted "Darla". I believe the lights you show are aesthetically too big for the fender mount configuration.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I have to ask......What does a set of Clearwater Darla's cost?

·
Registered
347 Posts
3 Benjamins, +/-. Comes with bike specific wiring harness.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
3 Benjamin's, +/-. Comes with bike specific wiring harness.
:eek ...yea, I'll stick with my set and running a few wires.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I gave you old numbers. Just looked at the website . . . add a couple more Benjamins. < :eek >

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
PaiN....While awake in the middle of the night, it came to me to suggest to you that when using the lower side cowling bolt to mount your lights, you'll need a tube type spacer and a bolt the same length longer as the length of the spacer in order to get a mounting point outside of the recess in the cowl. Got that? Now explain that to me. :)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PaiN....While awake in the middle of the night, it came to me to suggest to you that when using the lower side cowling bolt to mount your lights, you'll need a tube type spacer and a bolt the same length longer as the length of the spacer in order to get a mounting point outside of the recess in the cowl. Got that? Now explain that to me. :)
Strangely, I was thinking of you in the middle of the night too.....:kiss What a nightmare!!!

I understand what you mean. The lights have an C bracket mount, which might give enough stand-off by itself. I also might be able to use the bar clamps I have and go low on the bar. I'll have to put eyeballs on the situation before I figure out the mount and location. I doubt it will be today, we got a sneak attack from winter :(

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I saw that on the nooz about the snow storm heading your way. What did you guys in the NE do to piss off Ma Nature?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bubble is burst..kind of :(
I had to brave the wind and cold to check out fitting the LEDs on the chin fairing. Do to the angle of the bar any mounting on it is out. There is very little space with the close-outs in and I couldn't cut out any of it down there because that's where the pivot for the vent is. So the light would have to be mounted forward on the chin where it would not look right.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Looks like its back to the forks, eh PaiN?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like its back to the forks, eh PaiN?
I'm not mounting them on the forks. I guess I have to decide how bad I want these driving lights. The place they look right is inside the crash bar. If they go there, I'll need to cut out the close-outs and it will be a permanent thing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts