Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just inalled a lighted license plate frame, on a 2008 Jackpot Premium with positive and negative wires... Where should i hook this to, since I can't directly wire it to the battery...
Dont need it on 24/7

Regards

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have just inalled a lighted license plate frame, with positive and negative wires... Where should i hook this to, since I can directly wire it to the battery...

Regards
Well, now that you've made this interesting by not telling us what you ride, we're going to all give you different directions on where to connect it. Out of which, most will not apply to your model. :D

By the way, connecting it directly to the battery is a good idea only if you want the plate to be illuminated 24/7, even when the bike's napping in the garage.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I fixed it.. I meant to say cant directly wire it to the battery..

Thanks
Cool. Now, what bike are we talking about? Year/Model?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Try to locate a wire running from under the seat area towards the tail light. It should be white or a different color (blue, green, purple) wire. That is the positive 12 volt wire. You want the plate LEDs getting their juice from that. FYI, there is another wire for the brake light - you do not want that one for obvious reasons.

The plate's LEDs should also be grounded, anywhere on the bike where there's a good ground. You can touch various places on the chassis with the black wire of the license plate LEDs to see if it's a good ground or not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lighting

Just wondering if I could use the pig tail wires that were connected to the plate light on the OEM bracket.. the wires are Purle & Black..

If this is possible would I still need to ground it to the frame of the bike..

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Just wondering if I could use the pig tail wires that were connected to the plate light on the OEM bracket...
The OEM plate is lit by a 5 watt bulb - chances are your new LED plate light uses a lot less electrical power. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but the lower consumption could convince the relay that the bulb is actually out, and it will not supply it with power. If that's the case, abandon the OEM license plate connection and tap into tail light for the 12volt connection, and ground to the chassis.

·
Registered
148 Posts
For my side mount on my '08 JP, I left the plastic bracket at the end of the rear fender and just cut and spiced the wires for the LED license plate holder with the existing plate wires and the same for the LED turn signals. No problems.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lighting

I used the OEM wire leads from the old license mount.. just cut the connector off.. wired it all up.. works Great...

Waiting on the LR10 MBW LED Equalizer...

Im sure I will have more questions on how to install that..

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lighting Mode

New picture attached... MBW LED's in front and rear, 9 LED Strip
in-certed in OEM Tail Light, Low Profile Windshield, Side mount Lighted License Plate installed

Waiting on LR10 MBW Load Equalizer..

Not real happy with the Tail Light... Would like to find a nice used one

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts