Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What GPS are you using and what are your likes/dislikes?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Strike BT genius motorcycle GPS.

Cons: Pins on the mounting bracket are exposed with the unit not clipped in. They use some sort of a spring to make firm contact with the GPS unit when clipped in, my first one failed within 12 months so the unit would intermittently charge as they weren't making clean contact. They are also open to corrosion.
The GPS also shuts down when it loses power supply unless you tell it otherwise. (Fine when the power supply works properly...)

You can charge the unit via 12v outlet - USB, which i did when my cradle broke, but it then leaves the USB outlet exposed. Fixed by buying a new cradle (~$60)
battery life is only realistically 2 hours if you talk to it nicely, 1 hr 30min otherwise.
technical support from strike is useless.
keyboard when typing addresses is too small if you are poking it with man sized hands in gloves (though everything else works well with gloves)

Pros? it's mostly easy to use. Has an advanced function which lets you set google map routes into it, however i couldn't figure out how to backtrack a step once the route was started. Lots of POI, easy to find accomodation/restaurants.
The unit is pretty sturdy... it's been rained on & dropped more then once and still fires up without any issues.
Cost efficient compared to the Garmin units. easy to use PC interface & to update firmware. optional SD card slot if you are inclined to load music or something onto it.

Not sure if this unit is even available in the US, but hey you asked!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Garmin Zumo 550

1. It is integrated with XM Radio

2. They replace them when they break for ~$150. New they are around $600.

3. They were made for a motorcycle so are somewhat vibration and water resistant, though mine has succumbed to heavy rain in the past. Like our cruise control, everything works fine again once dry.

4. Works pretty well with gloved fingers.

Dislikes:

1. It only has two modes: "Fastest" or "Shortest." "Fastest" is always boring interstates, so I tend to leave it on "Shortest." Unfortunately, "Shortest" has led me down some pretty unkempt goat paths in rural areas. Glad that happened before I got the Vic as I'm afraid it wouldn't have made it through. Now when I'm in BFE West Virginia et al, I go ahead and use the "Fastest" setting.

A friend just picked up a new Harley Ultra. That thing has so many settings. It's got the two I got, plus "Scenic" and "Twisty." Someone thought that one out. It'll even tell you the closest dealerships.

2. The mapping software is ****. Though I have yet to find a good piece of software for routing your own trips for anything. Like bikes that just work, I guess enjoying the journey of a trip is just passe'. Great for getting from Point A to B though.

3. Sometimes the digital lady forgets to tell you the road on which to turn. Happened just today. If you know a turn is coming up, it's best to slow down and pay careful attention to the distance before the turn on the display.

4. Businesses come and go, but often aren't updated in the software. Or, it could be that I just don't pay the regular fees to keep mine updated. :ride:

GPS.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I'm using the Garmin USA app on my iPhone (in a weatherproof case). Sure, it cost $50, but now I don't need a separate GPS unit. Also, it does not depend on the cellular signal, just raw GPS; if I am in a no-signal area, my GPS app still works fine.

The thing I don't like is not being able to share my recorded routes easily. I suppose I could take a screenshot afterwards, but it's not quite the same.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have the Garmin Nuvi 50 LM , very basic , gets me from point A to point B . It was affordable at 99.00 shipped from Wally World , and if it gets wrecked or stolen , no big deal .... Although , anyone with balls enough to walk up to a fella's bike and lay a finger on it , let alone steal something off it , better be packing some serious heat . It could be very bad for their health .

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1408188706.147234.jpg

Screen shot

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
None...it's about the journey not the destination:)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have the Garmin 665 on my bike, and for the most part it dose everything I need. I have it with XM radio and there weather app which will notify me if there is any bad weather in the area along with a radar screen , the radar is close by is seems to be off by about 15 minutes and sometimes it shows rain when its just a dark cloud.

The XM works great and I also use a SD card loaded with music for when we are in the mountains under heavy tree cover I just switch it over to the card to here my songs.

As far as mapping goes , I use there stuff either Basecamp or Mapsource. From my PC I can make a route from anywhere to anywhere and pick the roads I want to take. I was the Route guy for a club for quite a while ( till things went bad, you all know how clubs can be ) anyway I have about 600 custom routes on my PC and laptop, we hardly ever go the fastest way there , we prefer the scenic route. I use the same programs to make route when we head anywhere out of state on vacation. On our normal lunch ride to Ft Lauderdale from my house is about 165 miles,, if you go straight there ( fastest way ) its about 28 miles.

Once I make a route I usually will view it in Google Earth to make sure I'm not heading down a dead end road , that feature works well here in Florida where its Flat but I have had issues in the mountains and have had to navigate up dirt and gravel roads and the occasional dead end at some farm house, which is not fun when you have 3-4 bikes. All in all it works good and I guess it helps knowing how to make custom routs, which there is a lot of info on the zumoforums.com. , just like here you will need to register to see everything.

If I had anything negative to say about the Garmin 665 is the screen washes out a bit in the sun, I do have a hood over it and that helps. I keep waiting for something new from Garmin and they have a few new models but none have XM . One of there new units can incorporate tire pressure monitors thru the gps, sensors purchased separately of course.

If any one needs or wants some routes for South Florida or even some nice ones for the Helen Ga or Tenn near the gatlinburg area just let me know and I can email them to you , You MUST have Basecamp or Mapsource to open them , with out one of these programs it wont work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Samsung Galaxy S5.

It plays any music I want to hear.
All in one package.
Big, easy to see screen.
I forgot, you can have weather on many Nav apps now too.

Dislikes: um, I'm hearing crickets.. I got nuthin.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my previous bike I had a built into fairing gps that worked great but a pain in the ass to punch in all the data for destination. On my XC I use my Samsung Galaxy phone with a RAM X-Mount. I like this setup much better. As someone mentioned already, gps and music at your finger tips.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with GPS but in the end I like them. Same with cellphones. It's a matter of who is in charge. My GPS spends a lot of time re-routing as I ride along on the roads that appeal to me ignoring the GPS instructions all the way, then, eventually I come to a spot where I can't decide what road to take, glance at the GPS to see it telling me "go left" so I do. In other words it allows me to get lost then helps me find the way.

Right now I have the Victory Garmin 660 on my CCT. I used to have a Garmin 550 on my last bike. Both serve my purpose. I do find the mounting system for the 660 to be very nice- quick and easy to pop it off and into a pocket for safe keeping.

I find the mapping software to be beyond my patience so I never enter pre-planned routes. My routine is to look at a map book- I like the Michelins- check what roads are going my way, select what looks good and enter the name of a town on that route as my destination. I do this from once to a few times a day and that's all I do. I don't bluetooth it, don't have the sound turned on. I just watch the maps for turns. I have missed a few but never where it really screwed me up. We did 15,000 miles plus to Alaska and back with no hitches.

My only real complaint about the GPS has to do with wearing polarized sunglasses, makes it hard to see the screen sometimes but I would never go without the sunglasses so there's nothing I can to but tilt my head this way and that to find a good viewing angle.

The Garmin 550 served me well for several years. Eventually the screen stopped responding to touch and Garmin wanted $150 for a refurb. I found a perfect replacement screen on eBay for $11 shipped to my door from Asia. It took me about an hour to install it and most of that was because it required some fine motor skills and I have clumsy fingers. Despite that it worked perfect when I was done.

Both GPS seemed to have plenty of POIs but nowadays with smartphones and Yelp and Trip Advisor etc. I find I use the GPS POIs less and less.

I suspect that 5 years from now GPS as a stand alone tool will disappear and we will all use our iPhones and Samsungs to get directions, maps etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts