Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I smelled an electrical burning smell from the headlight bucket and found this little black box with the number 2409 on it in there. Its heating up super hot and melted a few thinks in there. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hi, I smelled an electrical burning smell from the headlight bucket and found this little black box with the number 2409 on it in there. Its heating up super hot and melted a few thinks in there. Anyone know what this is?
Bike/year?

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Do you have HID installed? Could it be the ballast if so?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Do you have HID installed? Could it be the ballast if so?
No, that's not a ballast.

Trace the wires and tell us where they go - that will get us on the right guessing track.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a quick look, the box has 4 wires on one side and 2 on the other, I traced them back to the original wire color. The first wire traces back to the red with black stripe original wire and that's the wire I cut from my last thread to get my ignition to work and might be the problem this all melted. The nexr of the 4 wires is black, brown and pink. The other side has a green and a grey wire at the original harness.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You did not say rather if you have LED turn signals. I bet it is the resistors for the LED turn signals, After market product it will get super hot and needs to be away from all wires and places to catch fire.. View attachment 8651
,Kuryakyn (2409)
I think you're onto something.

Power = current * voltage

A current limiting series resistor as shown in this application would dissipate approximately 0.010 A * 12 V = 0.12 W per parallel LED. If there were 10 of them, 1.2 W would definitely get that little potted resistor box warm. Kinda surprised that it was warm enough to melt that connector though. Guess there must be 20 or more packed in there. But then all would have to be "ON" simultaneously for some period of time.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Like you say the heat coming off that box may well have melted the surrounding stuff but not for nothing that connector looks like it fried from the inside out.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You did not say rather if you have LED turn signals. I bet it is the resistors for the LED turn signals...
It could be a very cheap load equalizer. These are usually made out of metal, but cheap ones are plastic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like you say the heat coming off that box may well have melted the surrounding stuff but not for nothing that connector looks like it fried from the inside out.
I checked and don't have led turn signals. It does look like it melted from the inside out, what could cause that.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
What's the year/model of this bike? Please add to your signature...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I checked and don't have led turn signals. It does look like it melted from the inside out, what could cause that.
Sounds like you had a short somewhere that is not protected by a fuse of the correct amperage. You probably should take it to someone who knows automotive electrical and have them check it out. Without being there to do the proper testing online advice may just end up causing more damage.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Could be a flasher module. Do two of the wires from the anonymous black box go to the flasher relay?

Can you disconnect it (not by cutting any wires, but by unplugging it)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info and advise. I was able to trace some of the wires and it goes to the digital display, this bike was built at Arlen ness and has a aftermarket spedo and there is no electronics on the bars like horn, lights, on off and ect. Before all this happened I had a problem with the wiring and tied the kill switch wires together (red/black strip, pink) I cut the red with black striped wire off this box to close the kill switch so I can use the bike. Nothing is ever easy lol. Any ideas what I need to do to fix the, and why would the ignition wire be attached to the box. I can see where the box is starting to melt so I'm assuming its bad and should I link the red with black stripe wire back to the box.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Thanks for all the info and advise. I was able to trace some of the wires and it goes to the digital display, this bike was built at Arlen ness and has a aftermarket spedo and there is no electronics on the bars like horn, lights, on off and ect. Before all this happened I had a problem with the wiring and tied the kill switch wires together (red/black strip, pink) I cut the red with black striped wire off this box to close the kill switch so I can use the bike. Nothing is ever easy lol. Any ideas what I need to do to fix the, and why would the ignition wire be attached to the box. I can see where the box is starting to melt so I'm assuming its bad and should I link the red with black stripe wire back to the box.
Why would you cut the red/black wire off? Just because you needed some spare wire?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no, i had a previouse problem that the fuel pump and starter wouldnt work, someone said to connect the pink and red/black stripe wire together, the red/ black stripe wire was connected to the box now that i traced the wires back to it. So that wire fix the bike to start but now caused this.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
no, i had a previouse problem that the fuel pump and starter wouldnt work, someone said to connect the pink and red/black stripe wire together, the red/ black stripe wire was connected to the box now that i traced the wires back to it. So that wire fix the bike to start but now caused this.
One problem has turned into 2 or 3. You need to buy a manual or pay someone to fix your boo boo s..:ltr:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
OK, enough futzing around here.

So, get the VIN number and call your friendly local Victory dealer. Tell them the story you told us. Relay to them your bike has a Ness connection. I'm suggesting the tip of the hat to Ness because you are of the mind that your bike was assembled in the Ness house and that they put other than stock electrics into it. OK by me. I'm on a learning curve about Victorys myself so I can be sold on that although it's not exactly a logic straightline that Ness would know something about your bike that Victory doesn't. Possible, just odd.
Anyway, having fed the Victory shop that info they will do what any other bike shop would do. They will tell you to bring it in and they will look at it.
The problem with that is that if, as you say, Ness put magic fingers into your headlight bucket, then odds are even at best that the wrench will have a clue of what to do if the bike needs anything ouside of Victorys troubleshooting flowchart. That issue is compounded by the fact that let's face it, chasing gremlins in electrics is not the shining skill of most shop wrenches. ROR. Rip out, replace.
But, having forewarned them that Ness may have answers may be just the ticket to help them weed through your issues. After all when all else fails, even mechanics will get help.

Bottom line, you do have issues.
Things are not recognizable.
Things are cut.
Things have ceased to work before.
Things that did not work have been fixed with wirecutters.
Things are burnt.
Things smell.
Things are getting worse.

That's enough things to recommend professional intervention. The difference between a burned connector and a burned motorcycle is the availabilty of flammable stuff. Not very reassuring rolling along at 75 mph.

Please stop looking for answers on the interwebs. This is a job for hands on by the hour help.

Did I mention that this is going to cost money? Try to hold onto the notion that whatever it costs will likely be less than a toasted harness and certainly less than a toasted motorcycle.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts