Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello men , I was wondering about pinging / detonation issues when setting the ATS at /or above 4 degrees of advance . I've read some posts of yours that you are getting pinging even @ 4 and some have no issue with pinging . I have mine set a +4 but have yet to start her up for the first time with it installed . This is steel framed bikes only as they seem to have less tolerance for advance . I'm wondering if certain upgrades affect this also , IE; Intake , exhaust , cams etc ... Any input would be helpful .

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
If you get pinging, it would probably only happen under acceleration. I don't think there'd be any harm in firing it up.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
All the ATS reading I have done in regards to the steel framed bikes shows they are set up differently than the Cross bikes and Visions. They don't seem to like to much timing. Unfortunately you will be tinkering with this thing till you get it out on a good hot day which is when you should make your final timing adjustment. Call Lloyds and ask them which is a good base to start with. It may be that 4* is too much or just right. Just starting it though will not hurt anything. Listen carefully if you ride it though. The noise you never heard before that sounds like rocks hitting your front fender is detonation. If it shows up right away then back off to 2* and try it. Still a warm day in the future may find you adjusting again.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hello men , I was wondering about pinging / detonation issues when setting the ATS at /or above 4 degrees of advance . I've read some posts of yours that you are getting pinging even @ 4 and some have no issue with pinging . I have mine set a +4 but have yet to start her up for the first time with it installed . This is steel framed bikes only as they seem to have less tolerance for advance . I'm wondering if certain upgrades affect this also , IE; Intake , exhaust , cams etc ... Any input would be helpful .
Mags, Do you have a fuel tuner? Has your bike ever been dyno tuned?
If not:
Kyle is in RI. Saddle up this spring and get that Hammer hammering brudda. It will be money well spent. Wondering and worrying will be a thing of the past. Theres not a better feeling than knowing you bike is right every time you fire it up. Miles of smiles!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Thinking about doing just the basic upgrades, muffs,loyds filter,and ATS. only 91 oct. is readily available up here, would like to know whos running the wheel on 91 with no problems on the newer xct bikes...:)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mags, Do you have a fuel tuner? Has your bike ever been dyno tuned?
If not:
Kyle is in RI. Saddle up this spring and get that Hammer hammering brudda. It will be money well spent. Wondering and worrying will be a thing of the past. Theres not a better feeling than knowing you bike is right every time you fire it up. Miles of smiles!
Thanks Slick , I have heard a lot of good stuff about Kyle . I will look into that this week . I do have the PCV , and a pretty darn good tune I got from a fellow forum member . But I'm sure a dyno tune would be superior to anything else . I'm trying to figure out why some guys are getting the pinging , and some are not . Also , I am not afraid at all to start and run my bike , if it pings I will simply back off on the timing .cheers

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why some guys are getting the pinging , and some are not .
Octane. cheers
Also ambient temperature. Folks in Arizona might ping more than folks in Alaska. ;)

But yes, steel framed bikes seem to be more advanced than the Cross bikes, which are more retarded from the factory. If you're on a steel bike, the +2 or +3 might be what works for most, while for cross bikes seems to be +6 (+/- 2).

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Octane. cheers
Zombie was just saying he uses 93 , and is getting the ping @ 4+ .... 93 is generally what I use , although Sunoco ultra 94 is readily available around here . I haven't even started mine yet , so I don't know what's going to happen ... I will just be prepared to adjust it accordingly I guess . I wish I would have realized this before burning 162.00 . The cross bikes like the timing kick much better then the Steels ....

·
Registered
203 Posts
After the engine mods on my bike, the ATS will not work at all. Between boring, stroking, PCIII, .495 cams, & TT intake either one of those mods or a combination of them makes the ATS unnecessary. Rylan Vos told me that on hot days with lower octane gas, I may still get some pinging because of the compression ratio which is 10.9:1.

·
13,177 Posts
LILMAGS500
why are you putting the cart in front of the horse.
You haven't started the bike so quit guessing of what might be.
Wait till you can ride have good gas and see what you get out of the ATS. Its "not going to ping" till you go down the road. Steel frame bikes I believe have different cams from the others. Steel frame don't need the torque cause there lighter.
Most guys don't even know what pinging is but think they do.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the engine mods on my bike, the ATS will not work at all. Between boring, stroking, PCIII, .495 cams, & TT intake either one of those mods or a combination of them makes the ATS unnecessary. Rylan Vos told me that on hot days with lower octane gas, I may still get some pinging because of the compression ratio which is 10.9:1.
Good info , that's what I'm looking for . Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LILMAGS500
why are you putting the cart in front of the horse.
You haven't started the bike so quit guessing of what might be.
Wait till you can ride have good gas and see what you get out of the ATS. Its "not going to ping" till you go down the road. Steel frame bikes I believe have different cams from the others. Steel frame don't need the torque cause there lighter.
Most guys don't even know what pinging is but think they do.
Thanks VJ , like I said earlier , mine may not ping at all ... What intrigues me is some of the guys ping @ 4+ and some don't . I know there are lots of variables . If I get ping , I will just adjust it accordingly ...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Same bike as yours Mags ..... Mine presently set to +6 ..... All my upgrades listed below.....tuned by Lloydz last year late summer.

No pinging.

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same bike as yours Mags ..... Mine presently set to +6 ..... All my upgrades listed below.....tuned by Lloydz last year late summer.

No pinging.

Peter
Pete that's excellent , you seem to be the exception to the rule ... Your mods are sick too , Sweeet Ride ! cheers

·
Registered
352 Posts
Lloyd was very vocal about stating that while we all have the 106, each motor has it's own little differences / quirks and such ..... And some will take more timing advance , others won't.

Peter

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great info , thank you Peter .

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Zombie was just saying he uses 93 , and is getting the ping @ 4+ .... 93 is generally what I use
Keep in mind that a lot of stations around here (where Zombie resides too) use one hose for all flavors. If the guy before you got regular, you might get a quarter of a gallon or more of that from what was in the hose. If you only put in a couple gallons, that might water it down enough.

The steel frames run hotter cams from the factory, so the factory probably already set the advance higher accordingly. That might explain why the steel frames are more apt to ping.

I can tell you that my X bike has knocked violently at moderate temperatures using regular gas while hard on the gas (two up) passing a car at about 60-70 mph. Given that experience, I'm pretty sure there isn't a lot of margin there to fool around with. If you're not the type to spend a lot of time bouncing off the rev limiter, you might get away with more.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Mags....runnin the wheel at +6 and have for a while. Pcv...s&s knock off...at and all that jazz. Alot of people are hearing things other than pinging and backing off. Vics like to chatter. A buddy of mine swore all day long he was pinging at 1. He did intake at the same time. It wasnt pinging just noise from intake

1 - 20 of 22 Posts