Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please provide the proper cleaning / oiling of this filter media please , and thank you . :nerd

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Youd be better off asking LLOYDZ direct I would think.
Cos if its not a clean and re- oil type and you oil it then itll be screwed.
If it is a clean and re-oil like the pods in my TorqueTubes I use the K&N kit for them as well as the K&N I have in my Ford.
Generally do em all at the same time.
You may get differing opinions on here, and to be certain Id be asking Lloyd.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Lloyd's blue filter is actually RED .... And the K&N oil is RED too ..

·
Registered
471 Posts
From the literature that came with the filter
"Cleaning interval is 30,000 miles, clean with soapy water, no re-oiling is necessary"

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Mine gets cleaned/oiled every other oil change with the K&N kit. Gets pretty dusty around these parts.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Hmmmm just read the whole Torque Tube installation instruction and cannot find anything / info regarding lubing the K&N filters .... so must go to K&N filter instructions ?

K&N Performance Air Filters, Air Intakes & Oil Filters

.. I just put K&N oil on them as mentioned by other members ... if you hold them up in the air, you can look trough them .... :grin

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine gets cleaned/oiled every other oil change with the K&N kit. Gets pretty dusty around these parts.
I believe I have seen it where Lloyd himself said that is wrong and actually works against performance of the filter. But dusty is a bit more frequent like every 20k or so

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
I rang K&N tech rep who said when you cant see the wire mesh as distinct from the filter medium any more its time to clean, also said anywhere up to 50,000 miles!
So I leAve mine be till around 35,000 kms which works out yearly.
I try to stay off dirt cos of belt drive.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rang K&N tech rep who said when you cant see the wire mesh as distinct from the filter medium any more its time to clean, also said anywhere up to 50,000 miles!
So I leAve mine be till around 35,000 kms which works out yearly.
I try to stay off dirt cos of belt drive.
Did you mention to him about the filter being blue and not red MBX ? Just curious ... Kodiakwood says no oiling for the blue filter but I know the red ones need to be oiled , I have a red one in my Bullitt Mustang .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
clean with soapy water, no re-oiling is necessary"
Kodiak , you think mild dish washing detergent like Dawn is what they mean ? Something grease cutting like that ....

·
Registered
280 Posts
From the literature that came with the filter
"Cleaning interval is 30,000 miles, clean with soapy water, no re-oiling is necessary"
Please scan that and post an image, because I believe the Loyds filter is a coton gauze filter just like the K&N and they are to be washed and OILED. This has been discussed many times and many have called Loyds and asked, so if you have proof to the contrary, please share. :nerd

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kodiak , you think mild dish washing detergent like Dawn is what they mean ? Something grease cutting like that ....
Get the K&N filter cleaning kit (can be picked up at almost any auto parts store in existence) and follow the directions :wink

Oh BTW, Dawn (and pretty much every other soap you can buy anymore) is not as good as it used to be at cutting grease, matter of fact it really kind of sucks. Ever since EPA mandated that phosphates needed to be removed from soaps and detergents, they don't work for ****. :frown

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I pulled my Lloydz "blue" AF yesterday for cleaning(guess why this thread got started :rolleyes: )
I'm servicing the AF like any other performance AF I've cleaned. Using a K&N filter recharge kit: Spray the media down with the cleaning solution, use a plastic item(fork) to gently remove the heavy stuff between the fins, respray, rinse thoroughly, let completely dry, "light" coat with spray oil.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This has been discussed many times and many have called Loyds and asked, so if you have proof to the contrary, please share. :nerd
I couldn't come up with anything in the search , but that's not saying much .... SuperD , do you know what Lloyds actual instructions were for servicing this filter ? I have 3 of the K&N service kits in my garage so I am quite familiar with them .

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
No as the colouring is just vegetable dye in the oil, my blue filters are now red. And they respond well to the KN treatment regime.
If I was you Id ask Lloyd cos all youll get here is conflicting opinions

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here is the installation sheet that came with my filter

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
The K&N oil is just mineral oil so if you run out and have some of that on hand; you're good to go. I would definitely take a 'less is more' approach to coating the filter with the oil as I'm sure most people know by now. Otherwise it can gum up the IAC.

The filter on a fairing or windshield equipped X bike is so protected from the elements unlike, say a Harley filter sticking out the right side, that I bet we can get by without the oil. I'd still like to hear what Lloyd has to say about it though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Finally some credible information here! One would think it would be on Loydz website. Kodiakwood you did good you. I like how you wrote down your installation date.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the K&N kit, cleaner and oil, and used the directions that came with the kit. Works fine, lasts a long time.
Interesting... saw a K&N warning not to use their clean & Oiling kit on Victory performance air filters that look exactly K & N they said something about chemicals in kit cause failure of filter gaskets... maybe corporate BS. Anyone else have real world experience? I have Vic hi performance air filter and it's time for a cleaning.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts