Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what timing are you running? i just ordered my wheel and gasket from WD and it should be to my house about the same time i get back. just wondering if anyone around my area has one and what you keep it set at. i ONLY run 93 octane fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I live in SouthEast AL so we have about the same climate. I have mine at +4 degrees with no issues at all. I've considered advancing it a little more but just haven't gotten around to it. Too much riding to do.thumb up

·
Registered
837 Posts
Run mine at +4 with no problems--- bumped it up to +6 and still no problems so I am keeping it there. Much smoother acceleration and pep. Most of the time I can only get 91 octane here and I have yet to hear a ping and I have ridden on a few 95 degree days. YMMV :D

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Mine has been set to about +6 for months now and it's great. I run 91 or higher and no pings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have mine set to +5 and have tried 87, 89 & 91 octane without a hint of pinging including 90 degree plus days on the 87 octane. I pretty much live at sea level and mostly run 91 octane to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
355 Posts
don't forget to use blue locktite on the adjustment bolts, and someone will chime in with the torque. mines sitting in the garage waiting for me to put it in. in starting at +4.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool. thanks guys, i think ill start at +6 and listen close. i do, regularly, ride on days 95 and over. how big of a difference is it from +6 to +5 (and i know its 1°)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Knock, knock, very rare.

Live in the HOT Phx area. Set at 4 degrees. Up around 108F the other day maybe hotter. In sixth gear going below 75 mph and rolled on the throttle a little to quickly. Heard it knock for the first time, but usually no problem. Oh yes I do put premium fuel in the bike. Great product, glad I installed it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
+4 no pinging on ANY type of gas....

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Howardgnelson, what bike ? i ran mine at the full 8 on my xc till recently, i heard a ping at about 2700 rpms when i would crack the throttle , i dropped to 6 and have added timing with my pcv , but the cross bikes can take more timing. so bike is important

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2010 XC, the one in my sig.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I brought my bike in to my local dealer and the Lloyds mech recommended not running the timing on my CC above 4* as it will run hotter. Now, in saying this, i have heard plenty of folks running their timing on their CC at 6* w/out issue. So...to each his own.

My bike runs sweet w/timing at 4* w/cams, pcv LLoyds filter, ATS and dyno tuned by Kyle of KMC...so i personally am not going to mess with it anymore.

Although i have often wondered the difference in performance from say 4 to 5* and 4-6*

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if that was true you would be riding a bone stock bike. the intentions of the adjustable timing wheel are to adjust it. takes 10 minutes to adjust, dont like it, 10 more minutes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,003 Posts
If your running 93 octane you know your motor is running hotter then if it you were running 91 or 89.
So if your running 93 start out with wheel at +4. Ride a couple hundred miles with 02's hooked up then a couple hundred with them un hooked. Keep track of your mileage doing the math with your phone. You want 42 to 44 miles per gallon. Over 45 miles per gallon your burning your valves
By the way there is no benefit to running 93 octane other then you have less to drink on

·
Registered
131 Posts
If your running 93 octane you know your motor is running hotter then if it you were running 91 or 89.
So if your running 93 start out with wheel at +4. Ride a couple hundred miles with 02's hooked up then a couple hundred with them un hooked. Keep track of your mileage doing the math with your phone. You want 42 to 44 miles per gallon. Over 45 miles per gallon your burning your valves
By the way there is no benefit to running 93 octane other then you have less to drink on
Only 87, 89, and 93 in my area... no choice, I run the 93. No accurate read on the mpg yet, only 600 mi on the XC but am very interested in the timing wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
I run the advised 4 deg. advance,
I also run quality Premium gasoline.
No problems whatsoever:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts