Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i finally got around to ordering my stage 1 kit. (rpw thor, lloydz air box, pcv,) ive got the air box and power commander in but i think it may be another week or so before the thors come in. im thinking of going ahead and installing the intake and power commannder today (using a map from the pc web site that was tuned for bassani 2into1 and s&s air cleaner) but i will be running the stock pipes until the thors get here. i may end up modding the stock pipes tommorow at work to breath better.
so my question... other than running a little rich should this be ok to do.

09 vegas 8ball

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well its done. i cranked it up, seems to be running great. im going to take it out shortly to see if there are any performance gains with the stock exhaust still on :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems to be quicker. throttle response is much better. didn't get any popping at all. i think its really going to come alive when the pipes get on there.
so far so good.

if any body cares the install on the airbox and power commander 5 was not bad at all. the instructions that came with both were spot on with pics. i also cleaned the throttle body when it was off. killed 3 birds with 1 shot.

09 vegas 8 ball

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got the thors in today. went ahead and put them on after work.
they look awesome, they sound great! they are not too loud at idle but they are obnoxious when you get in them guts. not really sure how much quicker the bike is because the sound of the intake and exhaust together gives the feel of a rocket ship on wheels.

now i dont have the dyno chart to prove this but the inexperienced buttometer says 250hp 300t. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was checking around the thors and noticed a slight exhaust leak between the muffler and header. i tried adjusting the clamp, loosened muffler and readjusted clamp. still had the leak and it was getting worse. i ended up breaking the clamp.
so i went down to the autozone and got a wide 2.5"d stainless clamp(like the kind on a simi truck stack) and saw some muffler repair tape and grabbed it too.
i wrapped the tape around the collector where the two slip together then positioned the wide clamp over the tape. when i tightened the clamp down it acctually formed around the seam where the pipes come together. when i cranked it up it smoked a bit where the tape was melting/sealing.
in the end the exhaust leak was gone and im pretty sure its gone for good.
sorry about the essay but maybe someone will come along and find this helpful.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good work buddy.

I had the same leak on my thor in the same spot. I used liquid gasket to accomplish the same thing but I think the tape is a better idea because you can really see where you may not have enough material for a seal. if i have to disassemble i will use the tape.

as for the sound, i felt that the sound when i got on it even in the slightest (just to putt around even) was too obnoxious. not sure if you like how loud yours are or not, but fyi i addressed the situation quite effectively with a custom baffle i made from two vance and hines baffles cut and welded together, then flared and then wrapped with muffler pack and stainless steel wire to hold it on. completely changed the sound level and improved the throatiness at large throttle openings.

hit me up if you want more info...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man that baffle idea sounds neat. Im probably just going to run them for awhile to get a good taste of them. But i may end up getting back with you on the details of it later.
if its not too much trouble i would like to see a close up picture of your bracket where it bolts to the swingarm stud. Something about the fit just didnt seem right to me. i want to make sure i mounted it correctly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
sounds good. hit me up if you want to. i have pics of the baffle somewhere on this forum (there's a thread I created).

As for the bracket, may not be able to get you a pic all that soon bc of work. what didn't look right to you? Maybe if you describe it we can discuss.

·
13,031 Posts
Mattf
The muffler needs more slots in it. Where the pipe connects to the header. I had to take my hack saw and put in two more cuts and like you broke my clamp. I have a hd shop three miles away so I went there and bought a clamp.
No more leaks and I think it was the extra slots that did the trick.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good. hit me up if you want to. i have pics of the baffle somewhere on this forum (there's a thread I created).

As for the bracket, may not be able to get you a pic all that soon bc of work. what didn't look right to you? Maybe if you describe it we can discuss.
my question i guess is which nut did you use to secure the bracket. the smaller one that held the original muffler bracket in place or the big one that actually holds the swing arm bolt in? i left the big nut alone and used a washer and the smaller nut to hold the bracket on. it just doesnt seem like the fit is right with the way the bracket was made. the way i have it the back of the bracket is tightened up against the big nut. so i wondering if i put it on wrong and should take the bigger nut off and slide the bracket on then tighten that nut back on. but that seems a little unsafe to me.
it works fine the way i have it but couldnt understand that step in the directions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from the videos i looked at on youtube im pretty sure that i installed the bracket correctly. the directions kinda confused me because i took the old muffler bracket off when i cut the frame. then when it was time to mount the new bracket the directions say to remove the swing-arm pivot nut but i believe they were talking about the old muffler bracket nut.

but all is well and that's what i get for reading the instructions

·
Registered
442 Posts
the swing arm pivot nut is the second mounting point, separate from the frame cut point. lower part of the bracket mounts to the frame, upper part mounts to the swing arm pivot using the supplied washer as a standout or you won't be able to secure the bracket before the nut runs out of thread on the pivot.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes thats the way i have it. but i took off that nut when i took the frame rail off to cut it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
sounds right, iirc. which i don't probably :)

hey as long as it's mounted, not shaking, and not interfering with the swigarm motion i'd say you are good to go :)

how's the sound feel to you now?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i may end up having to do something like you did with the baffle. it is very hard to be quiet even when i try ( like leaving out at 5am to go to work) i dont mind being obnoxious at other times. but i try to show the neighbors respect early and late.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I didn't like how the pipes made me drive differently. Defeated the purpose, imo. Now i ride however i damn well please!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here is a pic of it. i would have thought that the hole in this part of the bracket would have only been big enough to fit around the swing arm stud. but the way it was made the washer has to center it. i almost went to find a bushing to slide behind the washer. i just think it would have made more sense that way.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts