Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see everyone talking about them and i got all bent out of shape that it didnt fit my 07 kingpin and then i saw they had a S&S Performance airbox for 280$ that does fit 2000-07

http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000057

Is that really worth the 280? While I was looking around I found this on the Victory site for only 40$ Would I be getting the same resulting airflow or is it apples to oranges?

http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Victory/Pages/Detail.aspx?ItemID=1013619

As far as the map goes I do have the stage one pipes from victory, i would assume it has an upgraded map when those were done from the previous owner, thats not something you have to change just because of replacing that airbox right? im a little fuzzy on the programming aspect of these bikes.

anyways, only a couple more weeks till the snows gone in Maine and we can ride again :D

·
13,247 Posts
any time you can get more air in the motor you benefit. Cheap is good. S&S would be more cams.
Your dealer can hock up there computer and tell you if it has the stage1 it will coast you money to do that. Stage1 only moves rpm's up about two degrees and the fuel up about one mile an hour richer. If you were to spend money Lloydz tuner would do more for you.
If it were me once a year I would clean the throttle body's and add Lloydz timing wheel.
http://buywitchdoctors.com/articles/71/victory-motorcycle-parts-clean-throttle-bodies-earlier-victory-sc-598/

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
The Victory Stage 1 should have come with that vented airbox cover, a washable flat-panel air filter, and the pipes.

The difference between the stage 1 and the S&S airbox and proper tune is a dozen horespower. Ya get what ya pay for.

·
13,247 Posts
The Victory Stage 1 should have come with that vented airbox cover, a washable flat-panel air filter, and the pipes.

The difference between the stage 1 and the S&S airbox and proper tune is a dozen horespower. Ya get what ya pay for.
Half crazy would he get that mush more power out of a s&s with a stock bike.
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Half crazy would he get that much more power out of a s&s with a stock bike.
thanks
On mine, stock airbox stage 1 (vented cover, panel filter, some extra holes drilled in the airbox, Vic Long Drag pipes, and VFC II) was 81 HP. Added the S&S airbox and it made 93 HP. Engine totally stock. Changing the airbox was worth an even dozen on HP.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
dealer air box!!

my 13 hammer had the tri-pro pipe dealer tune + filter upgrade??? from former owner. filter was small, hate to see the OE one, i used the ness filter which was the best price, no bling! little is seen of the nice aluminum filter with base. heres a pic of mine installed.
[/URL][/IMG] just get the one for your model + year bike as they vary

·
13,247 Posts
On mine, stock airbox stage 1 (vented cover, panel filter, some extra holes drilled in the airbox, Vic Long Drag pipes, and VFC II) was 81 HP. Added the S&S airbox and it made 93 HP. Engine totally stock. Changing the airbox was worth an even dozen on HP.
Thanks am learning more every day

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's looking like im not going to waste my time and just buy the s&s filter, however i have one last question. From what I understand with the s&s filter it isnt necessary to buy a fuel controller, or am i mistaken. but I found these lloydz turbo tubes that say you must put one on. Whats the difference there.

http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000134

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes a fuel controller is recommended with the S&S, you have to think you will be totally removing the stock airbox and have an open air filter so to get the most out of your S&S upgrade the tuner is highly recommended!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suggested and need though are two different things, understand ideally everyone modding would get some sort of fuel controller and i would bet that soon enough i will be getting one, but it wont be right now. So if i run this with the S&S without a FC am i going to be running really lean all the time, or is the FC just the icing on the cake for squeezing those extra few ponies out of this kit?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Take into account that most Vics run lean from the factory, then add in a **** load more air from the S&S and I can almost guarantee you that you will be lean...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
ness filter for 13 hammer

the ness filter i used was oblong shaped like the blingy ones, but it was a black metal base and unremovable plastic top. i paid under $200 but the whole filter needs to be removed to clean. models vary.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
YES If you see my post under "Ness ram intake filter" Youll see I did a 'plug chop' yesterday and my engines waaaay too lean at max throttle in fourth gear.
Still rideable but as said they're lean from the factory for better fuel consumption and lower emmisions.
My bike had the stage one flash for the pipes but after my test run yesterday with a plug chop on brand new plugs under full load, not allowing the bike to idle or slow in gear, killing the engine at 5000rpm in fourth gear.
The plugs were white on the side electrode, absolutely clean on the top ring with a bit of heat discolouration where the electrode joins, the centre electrode insulator was white with tiny speckles that showed under a magnifying glass....these speckles are tiny bits of engine internals....it's lean and hot!...and getting PCV and a pro dyno tune tomorrow morning.
Sure your engine will still run but it will eventually eat itself,
why skimp out $800 and destroy a $20,000 bike is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
running well??

as i posted above i installed a ness filter on my 13 hammer, former owner already had the cobra dealer tri-pro with ecu tune that goes with it. front wheel off for dual disc i seen front oxygen sensor easier to get at, still had to unmount oil cooler so i could push it a little to break sensor loose with my big 22mm wench, ordered stainless 18mm X 1.5mm plugs. getting front pirelli tire mounted today, the pirelli rear 240 will come after front is together. there will be a set of OE 2,000 mile hammer dunlops for sale soon "cheap" as well as the OE rotor all in like new excellent condition. bike seem to run well after the filter, the tri-pro is not as open as some exhaust so that could factor in as well. front headpipes are OE being chrome with black heat shields, newer models prolly have cats as well restricting flow.

·
Registered
742 Posts
FYI, the Lloydz Adj Timing Wheel is for '08's and later meaning it won't fit your ride. I was going to snatch one of those but, alas, mine bike is an '07 just like yours...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI, the Lloydz Adj Timing Wheel is for '08's and later meaning it won't fit your ride. I was going to snatch one of those but, alas, mine bike is an '07 just like yours...
Yeah I already noticed that too, thanks for making sure though.
I think for now ill just hold off on the box and tuner, mostly because we are buried in snow but my bike goes vroom vroom reallllllly well right now and i cant justify having to deal with any issues that come with tunnng and having to fine tune it just yet, ill wait till i get bored with the bike. right now im still in the love stage. cheers

Im sure once i get to riding it this spring ill want to squeeze more power out of it

YES If you see my post under "Ness ram intake filter" Youll see I did a 'plug chop' yesterday and my engines waaaay too lean at max throttle in fourth gear.
Still rideable but as said they're lean from the factory for better fuel consumption and lower emmisions.
My bike had the stage one flash for the pipes but after my test run yesterday with a plug chop on brand new plugs under full load, not allowing the bike to idle or slow in gear, killing the engine at 5000rpm in fourth gear.
The plugs were white on the side electrode, absolutely clean on the top ring with a bit of heat discolouration where the electrode joins, the centre electrode insulator was white with tiny speckles that showed under a magnifying glass....these speckles are tiny bits of engine internals....it's lean and hot!...and getting PCV and a pro dyno tune tomorrow morning.
Sure your engine will still run but it will eventually eat itself,
why skimp out $800 and destroy a $20,000 bike is beyond me.
I did see that post too and thanks for taking the time to reply again, i was under the impression at first you could just drop the box in and be scootin away. time to save pennies and plan to build it later.

·
Registered
396 Posts
thumb upor you can have your dealer install the 2005 hammer
drag pipe download,that will richen it up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts