Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Airbox: http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000006

Torque Tubes: http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000085

Looking to start getting a few extra ponies out of my scoot and was wondering if anyone can tell the differences (positives/negatives) between the Lloyds airbox vs torque tubes above. Will be getting a PC5 and a tune as well but looking for opinions on these base options to get me started.

May be a stupid question but as I ride rain or shine would either of these let water in? Surely not eh?

cheers

·
12,983 Posts
with the tubes you can get at then to clean the filters with out taking the tank off.

You should do Lloydz ATS wheel you'll pick up low end power and get a new gasket if you do. Take no time to install it

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
On the Hammer with the short fender, yes both will get wet. I have the S&S which is equivalent to the Lloydz airbox, I do like it alot it gives good power and a nice clean look. If I could have afforded it at the time I would have bought the torque tubes for the better torque across the tach....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I should mention that I had a custom one off pre filter made by outerwears that is waterproof so that helped me with the thought of getting caught in the rain...

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I first fitted a Ness Ram because of cost and fitted the timing wheel and had the PCV fitted and the lot Dynotuned
My bike already had a nice set of Freedom Performance short radius slash pipes.
Ive already covered this topic a couple of times for other threads and posts so Ill keep it brief.
TORQUETUBES are promoted as show and go, they look goid sound good and give a good lift in both Torque and HP over your stock airbox.
The performance difference over the Ness, S&S , or LLOYDZ filters/airboxs is marginal but it is a few HP/FTLB
Big Plus is ease of maintenance as theres no need to remove your fuel tank to access the filter/s.
As its covered elsewhere with dyno graph showing difference Ill leave it there.
If you got the cash to splash the TT's are the best.
Wanna save some bucks and dont mind removing the tank and risking yr fuel pump nipple then go for it.
Ness is even cheaper but ya gotta unbolt it from throttle body to clean and service it...a pain if like me you rack up lotsa miles.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The HP #'s are all close on the top end between all the aftemarket air boxes, think the difference is 2hp (except the Ness, it's garbage for a few reasons) the torque is what wins it for the TT's but also come with a substantial extra cost. For instance I've seen the S&S selling for $260 ish and the Lloydz $320, the TT's are over $500. By no means is the S&S or Lloydz crap (neither is better than the other either) , no they are both damn good but the TT's are a bit better...

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
The HP #'s are all close on the top end between all the aftemarket air boxes, think the difference is 2hp (except the Ness, it's garbage for a few reasons) the torque is what wins it for the TT's but also come with a substantial extra cost. For instance I've seen the S&S selling for $260 ish and the Lloydz $320, the TT's are over $500. By no means is the S&S or Lloydz crap (neither is better than the other either) , no they are both damn good but the TT's are a bit better...
I certainly wouldnt call the Ness unit "garbage", it gave me a big increase in torque and reasonable HP, only real downside is removing and refitting for servicing, it flows great.
Care to state your "few reasons"?
Both S&S and LLOYDZ are more user friendly for servicing, what gets me is why have costly 'bling' under the tank? Surely they could make a serviceable item without the shiny stuff and save the punter at least a lazy $100.
For me the TT's are well worth it in easy servicing, they do look tough poking out , and sound great sucking in massive amounts of air. Torque is 'fatter' through the midrange, so is HP but it tails off up top....On the Dyno anyway, maybe in real world terms the fact there's 100mph of forced induction on the move maybe they don't tail off as much in the real world.
Would be interesting to see how Cams and Torquetubes compare up top, say 3000-6000 over stock or an airbox/filter.
I'm guessing they'd keep building Power and Torque all the way to the limiter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good feedback and food for thought.

Pulled the trigger on the Lloyds ATS today. Very good gains for the money.

Been leaning towards the TT’s from the start so I think I’ll save my pennies and grab that along with the PCV.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Good feedback and food for thought.

Pulled the trigger on the Lloyds ATS today. Very good gains for the money.

Been leaning towards the TT’s from the start so I think I’ll save my pennies and grab that along with the PCV.

Yeah that's the way to go Hellburn, you'll need a LLOYDZ Idle Air Valve too if you haven't already got one.
Theres no problem riding in the rain, a bit of water vapour down the tubes wont hurt, could actually cool the charge down of anything.
Water is only detrimental if it gets in the fuel tank side of the system.
Water and fuel dont mix, but water and air is ok.
Dont go poking a garden hose down there of course but anything while riding is fine.
The K&N filter recharge kit will clean and reoil, Dont dry the filters with compressed air, leave em dry in the sun.
Once its all fitted up and your PCVs on I'd recommend a good dynotune, then youre set.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I see 8-10 extra FTLb out of the TT below 3300rpm. Torque where you want it. To get this you will need a PC tuner
yeah kevinx, my Torque is over 100 ft/lb from 2240 to 4250 that's at the back wheel and from a 100 cubes, with timing wheel at 4 deg.
PCV and Freedom Performance sharp radius slash pipes.
It sits on 108 peak Torque from 3000 to 3250rpm
Here's a comparison red line Ness filter/airbox, green Torquetubes.
Plenty torque right where its needed, and a much steadier line too you'll notice.
A very nice bike to ride, smooth and strong, where I want it.
Red run was in winter and Green in summer too, so I'd expect slightly better numbers if it had been cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I certainly wouldnt call the Ness unit "garbage", it gave me a big increase in torque and reasonable HP, only real downside is removing and refitting for servicing, it flows great.
Care to state your "few reasons"?
Both S&S and LLOYDZ are more user friendly for servicing, what gets me is why have costly 'bling' under the tank? Surely they could make a serviceable item without the shiny stuff and save the punter at least a lazy $100.
For me the TT's are well worth it in easy servicing, they do look tough poking out , and sound great sucking in massive amounts of air. Torque is 'fatter' through the midrange, so is HP but it tails off up top....On the Dyno anyway, maybe in real world terms the fact there's 100mph of forced induction on the move maybe they don't tail off as much in the real world.
Would be interesting to see how Cams and Torquetubes compare up top, say 3000-6000 over stock or an airbox/filter.
I'm guessing they'd keep building Power and Torque all the way to the limiter
Maybe the term "garbage" isn't quite what I meant but the extra hassle and in superior build quality (other than the filter) plus less power output (less plenum) than say the S&S or the Lloydz was more geared toward what I was saying. Either way great choice if you have the extra cash for the TT's, obviously the best choice for all around performance. But be prepared for this with the Hammer shorty front fender...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Maybe the term "garbage" isn't quite what I meant but the extra hassle and in superior build quality (other than the filter) plus less power output (less plenum) than say the S&S or the Lloydz was more geared toward what I was saying. Either way great choice if you have the extra cash for the TT's, obviously the best choice for all around performance. But be prepared for this with the Hammer shorty front fender...
Yeah my Vegas fender aint much better,
I try to stay outta the mud, though a patch of roadworks is all it takes. Id go to a kingpin front fender if I could,
but Kingpins are rare here.
But yeah itd be a bastard unbolting the filter to clean it.
Obviously we ride our bikes theyre not just Show Ponies

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
That day the pics were taken we were along way from home on roads we didn't know, the mud was from washouts from the side of the road. It was still a blast though until I had to clean her up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts