Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a local Indian Dealership to get a price on the filter, installed, and reflashed. They said they would do it for $200.00. Is that a good deal? Do you guys recommend having the bike reflashed inlieu of having a fuel controller installed?

I'm also curious if they have a code for my Vance & Hines slip-ons with the Lloydz or if it would be the closest thing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Save your money. Wait until you can get a fuel controller and do them together. You'll get a lot more satisfaction and more for your money.
A "flash" is for a stage 1 (sound in a X bike) and the Lloydz filter may be too much flow for it leaving you lean.
As for the price, if that is filter, install and labor for the flash, it sounds pretty reasonable. Not the way I would go, but it is your ride and money.
Watch the "for sale" section and see what is out there.
cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you feel like it would run "lean"? I guess I'm asking what is the difference between a fuel controller and having it "reflashed"... Are they not the same thing?

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I called Lloyds to order my air filter and PTS (timing gear) I asked them about fuel controller and the Vic gen III vs the PCV and if I would need one with the filter and gear upgrade. Their advice, wait to try out the filter and gear and see if I felt I needed it. The PCV is the preferred controller if I was going to get the bike dyno tuned other wise the Vic is fine and they would map it before sending it out.
So now I just need to wait for spring, BTW they did say if I do the exhaust the fuel controller is a must.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why do you feel like it would run "lean"? I guess I'm asking what is the difference between a fuel controller and having it "reflashed"... Are they not the same thing?
Almost half again the intake, along with the already free flowing exhaust. The bikes are pretty lean in stock form thanks to the EPA.
No a S1 flash isn't the same as a fuel controller. This is a Vic and for better worse and in between they are unique. Some say they are fine with the O2 sensors unplugged, and may be. Mine were unplugged, bone stock and I really didn't like the condition of the spark plugs at 18K. It was running hot and I just didn't like it. I never planned on any "performance" mods, but needed running mods. It did a lot of things I wanted and got some giddyup to boot.
You asked, I'm shocked you haven't had more response.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if your going to get the filter, save tour money, get the filter, timing wheel, pcv, you will be much happier!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Still trying to learn... I guess I'm a little slow... I have the V&H, so if I get the air filter, is the pcv or reflash required?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i would say strongly recommended

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
have you pulled the strip from in front of the filter? how about the O2 sensors? pull the strip and unplug the sensors for now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I'll try that for now.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the tank does not need to come all the way off to get the strip, just back some, make sure you support the rear of the tank, slide it back, pull the strip, slip the tank back on.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yes, you'll need a tuner with an air filter being you're already running exhaust. Like another poster said, save your money and buy from Lloydz. The vic filter is better than stock but no where near as good as Lloydz. Lloydz air filter can move 40% more air than the Vic stage 1 filter. That's a lot of air, it will lean your bike out considerably. The vic stage 1 map they're talking about isn't good enough. It's really not that good even with the Vic stage 1 kit. A fuel tuner is the way to go. If you're not going to do cams any time soon, you can get the AFR+ and not have to do a dyno. It'll save you money and give you good air fuel ratios. If you think you'll do cams then just go ahead and get the PCV. Either way, forget about buying any "performance" parts from the dealer. They don't know what performance is. Lloyd does, buy from him. These guys are giving you good advice and you'll find that almost all of us will agree on the tuner and which parts to buy. We've already done the experimenting for you and know the best way to go. thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Rebel , did you pop in your cams yourself or have it done ...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Rebel , did you pop in your cams yourself or have it done ...
I've not had anybody turn a single bolt on my bike and that includes the 500 mile service. I do all my own work from maintenance to mods.

I work too hard for my money to give it to somebody for doing what I'm capable of doing myself. thumb up

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you'll need a tuner with an air filter being you're already running exhaust. Like another poster said, save your money and buy from Lloydz. The vic filter is better than stock but no where near as good as Lloydz. Lloydz air filter can move 40% more air than the Vic stage 1 filter. That's a lot of air, it will lean your bike out considerably. The vic stage 1 map they're talking about isn't good enough. It's really not that good even with the Vic stage 1 kit. A fuel tuner is the way to go. If you're not going to do cams any time soon, you can get the AFR+ and not have to do a dyno. It'll save you money and give you good air fuel ratios. If you think you'll do cams then just go ahead and get the PCV. Either way, forget about buying any "performance" parts from the dealer. They don't know what performance is. Lloyd does, buy from him. These guys are giving you good advice and you'll find that almost all of us will agree on the tuner and which parts to buy. We've already done the experimenting for you and know the best way to go. thumb up
Looking at the Power Commander website, they don't seem to have a Map Code for a Lloydz air filter or the V&H slip-ons. What do you do in that case?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You will need a dyno tune , or procure a map from a member on this forum .cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see. Thank you everyone for all the help. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I see. Thank you everyone for all the help. I appreciate it.
Even if you happen to have the exact setup that the Dynojet website offers a map for , the maps still suck . Super Dee Duper RICH ! Your bike will be gagging on excessive fueling .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Looking at the Power Commander website, they don't seem to have a Map Code for a Lloydz air filter or the V&H slip-ons. What do you do in that case?
When you buy your PCV from Lloydz, you tell him you have his air filter and slip-ons and he loads a map of a previously dyno tuned bike to your new controller. This is what he did when I ordered mine, mine was with all parts in my sig though.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
When you buy your PCV from Lloydz, you tell him you have his air filter and slip-ons and he loads a map of a previously dyno tuned bike to your new controller. This is what he did when I ordered mine, mine was with all parts in my sig though.
Or if you're fortunate to be able to pay one of the Vic gurus a visit, you visit.

Last year, I spent a few hours at Lloyd's place, where I had his air filter put in, along with a PCV, and then Lloyd did a dyno run to map all the cells for the different throttle openings, gears, and each of the cylinders. (I have everything else in terms of the motor and exhaust stock on the bike.)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts