Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I bought LLoydz timing wheel VFC, and high flow air filter this week, and so far everything has gone ok, e(xcept for breaking the stupid elbow on the $92 fuel line off while taking off the tank)....Any how all was going well until I went to install the new timing wheel. I was able to pull off the old one with a little more force than I thought it was going to need, but once trying to re install the new wheel for some reason it just wont go on. Ive tried making sure the keyway was lined up properly, tried lubricating both surfaces with engine oil, and even tried some light persuasion with a rubber mallet, (which only resulted in it getting stuck halfway on). After prying it back off I could see that there was an impression left on the inside of the collar of the timing wheel as if either the inside diameter of the timing wheel is machined to small, or maybe my crank shaft is to large?

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? I will be calling to talk to LLoydz in the morning but I wanted to check around the Vic community first to see if there's something I'm missing. Is there something Im missing here?

Luckily I have a few days to wait for this stupid fuel line to come from Minnesota but I'm starting to worry I'm not going to make it to americade this month if I cant get these things sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Measure ID of factory wheel and ID on aftermarket wheel. See if different. Then measure OD of shaft. I have installed several hundred lloydz adjustable timing wheels and have never encountered one to be off by size. But you never know.

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the Lloyd's timing wheel a few weeks ago on my 2013 Judge, and did not have any problems removing the stock wheel or putting on the new Timing wheel. Actually it was easier than I expected after reading about others doing it. Just followed the directions. Can't imagine your problem.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
761 Posts
Hey mcRIDERmc when you figure it out you gotta come back and update this thread :)

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
What model and year of bike are you installing this on? IIRC, the Lloyd'z timing wheel is only for '08+ models.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm sure Lloydz will make it right if he can. Mine too was pretty tight and took a while to get off but wiggling did the job.

OP, can you put the original back on? I ask because going by your note regarding the original being overly hard to get off and using a mallet on the new one I'm thinking you might have caused a burr on the shaft. Look for that and remove it if you find one. If not, you say it goes on half way so some very light sanding on the inside of the timing wheel would work. You can't have any slop in there but it's not that critical.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
You can evenly enlarge the I.D. of the new timing wheel using emery cloth rolled and inserted in the hole and work your way around the hole until you have a slip fit.
If you haven't repaired that broken fuel nipple yet, I have a very cheap and easy repair using a 1/4" piece of steel or aluminum tubing to splice the broken piece back on. Makes it stronger than new! To prevent that happening in the future, when removing the tank, lift it enough to get your hand in and release the connector from the tank nipple. Reverse that process when re-installing the tank. PM me for complete instructions for repairing the nipple.

Reactions: id-man

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,698 Posts
There was someone who posted a kit they were selling for fuel nipple repair a while back. Alternative to the RICZ method. Not saying one is better than other but good to have options. :)

As mentioned measure the two wheels or at the very least stack them together and eyeball it. Should be able to see one is smaller.

I wouldn't do anymore hammering on that area. Get the wheel to fit right or get another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All,

I bought LLoydz timing wheel VFC, and high flow air filter this week, and so far everything has gone ok, e(xcept for breaking the stupid elbow on the $92 fuel line off while taking off the tank)....Any how all was going well until I went to install the new timing wheel. I was able to pull off the old one with a little more force than I thought it was going to need, but once trying to re install the new wheel for some reason it just wont go on. Ive tried making sure the keyway was lined up properly, tried lubricating both surfaces with engine oil, and even tried some light persuasion with a rubber mallet, (which only resulted in it getting stuck halfway on). After prying it back off I could see that there was an impression left on the inside of the collar of the timing wheel as if either the inside diameter of the timing wheel is machined to small, or maybe my crank shaft is to large?

Has anyone experienced this type of problem? I will be calling to talk to LLoydz in the morning but I wanted to check around the Vic community first to see if there's something I'm missing. Is there something Im missing here?

Luckily I have a few days to wait for this stupid fuel line to come from Minnesota but I'm starting to worry I'm not going to make it to americade this month if I cant get these things sorted out.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I just had this exact same thing happen to me and I was wondering how you resolved it?

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I have had my tank off probably 20 times. I use the procedure in the service manual. No problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To clarify the issue I had was with the Lloyd’s timing wheel. I went to install mine and it wouldn’t go on and I did the exact same thing. I was wondering how the timing wheel issue was resolved

·
Registered
124 Posts
I unhook the fuel line at the other end, cut a few tie straps to free up the fuel line and lift the tank off. I had no problems doing It.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I unhook the fuel line at the other end, cut a few tie straps to free up the fuel line and lift the tank off. I had no problems doing It.
Again I’m still not talking about the fuel line. I’m talking about the Lloyd’s timing wheel. Just took some measurements and found my crankshaft to be 1.021” OD and the original timing wheel housing is 1.021” ID but the Lloyd’s timing wheel I received measures at 1.010” ID

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don’t have a timing wheel on my bike can’t help you. But I thought that information might help someone else from breaking the nippleoff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Again I’m still not talking about the fuel line. I’m talking about the Lloyd’s timing wheel. Just took some measurements and found my crankshaft to be 1.021” OD and the original timing wheel housing is 1.021” ID but the Lloyd’s timing wheel I received measures at 1.010

·
Registered
5 Posts
final results are as follows. Got a second Timing wheel and measured before installation and found it to be 1.020”. It was right but it did fit on without any problems. Not sure what happened on the first part but second one fit fine. Bike runs great and this is a great product.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Again I’m still not talking about the fuel line. I’m talking about the Lloyd’s timing wheel. Just took some measurements and found my crankshaft to be 1.021” OD and the original timing wheel housing is 1.021” ID but the Lloyd’s timing wheel I received measures at 1.010
Yes I know

1 - 17 of 17 Posts