Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on his site in a while now it has a new look and if I'm not mistaken new higher prices. Am I seeing things?

www.lloydz.com

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Oh yeah. Definitely higher prices. $432 for a PCV, $151 for the air filter.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Banned
471 Posts
Prices are going up everywhere but maybe not as much as at Lloydz. I got a PCV a few months ago from Motomummy for $259, free shipping, no sales tax. Now they have it for $269. Ten dollars more than what I paid a few months ago but still a HUGE savings compared to $432 at Lloydz. Here is the link:
https://www.motomummy.com/dynojet-powercommanders/dynojet-powercommander-v-cruisers/

G'day,

Vinish
Be very careful with motomummy....

Google them and see the reviews...not very good.

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
I haven't been on his site in a while now it has a new look and if I'm not mistaken new higher prices. Am I seeing things?

www.lloydz.com
I like the new look but not the prices. Good to see Lloyd getting into Indian's; especially the Scout because I have a feeling it will translate into the new Victory whenever they decide to release it to the public. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he has had one of the new Victory's for some time now just so he could develop some performance parts for it (and the Scout).

I think the new Vic will really shake things up and give people the option of serious performance.

When I rode the Scout I was thinking about how many tickets I'd get 'cause it was just soooo much fun to wick the throttle. The muffler was really tame though so if it had some bark to it; I'd probably be content to keep it tamed down during regular riding.

Finally started working on my KP to bring her back to life and on the road. I'll do the paint job when it warms up but probably do body work sooner.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally started working on my KP to bring her back to life and on the road. I'll do the paint job when it warms up but probably do body work sooner.
Did you install the exhaust yet?

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
Did you install the exhaust yet?
There's no hurry on changing the exhaust out. The old one is scratched up but is still functional. Probably do that about the same time I have the tins off for painting.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Be very careful with motomummy....

Google them and see the reviews...not very good.
I would give them a top rating. Lowest price on the internet that I could find for the PCV. Good website. Fast shipping. Everything went well. Of course, it was a simple PCV not something overly complicated and I had no need to contact their customer service. Still, for a PCV at $269 vs. a lot more.....it might be worth a risk.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would give them a top rating. Lowest price on the internet that I could find for the PCV. Good website. Fast shipping. Everything went well. Of course, it was a simple PCV not something overly complicated and I had no need to contact their customer service. Still, for a PCV at $269 vs. a lot more.....it might be worth a risk.

G'day,

Vinish
I only purchased a PCV from them a year ago , but would give them a top rating also . Fast and free shipping , email order confirmation , and the cheapest price on the planet . Thankfully the unit has performed flawlessly so far .

Reactions: vindex1963

·
13,263 Posts
If you were going to buy a PCV I think Lloydz or Rylan or Kevinx would be the smart way to go. Yes you might pay more but they will put in a great map for you that they have found from years of dynoing.
The cheaper place will not give you a map and you'll wind up with a starter map from dynojet or from a guy that might not really have a good map.
So buyer beware

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Or you could get a map from some kind member here on the Victory Forums who has a similar setup to get you by until you can get a Dynotune. Of course, if someone believed a map provided by a more expensive PCV supplier could substitute permanently for a dynotune, then the more expensive PCV supplier would definitely be the way to go since a dynotune is in the $300 ballpark.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Even if you have two identical bikes with the same exact mods the maps will differ somewhat , even two different dynos or tuners will net different results . Various maps can get you real close but it takes a dyno tuner to get you dialed in .

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Even if you have two identical bikes with the same exact mods the maps will differ somewhat , even two different dynos or tuners will net different results . Various maps can get you real close but it takes a dyno tuner to get you dialed in .
Yeah, I knew that but was trying to be polite :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If you were going to buy a PCV I think Lloydz or Rylan or Kevinx would be the smart way to go. Yes you might pay more but they will put in a great map for you that they have found from years of dynoing.
The cheaper place will not give you a map and you'll wind up with a starter map from dynojet or from a guy that might not really have a good map.
So buyer beware
Scare tactics like this won't influence everyone. The FACT is that you CAN buy a BRAND NEW PC-V for less from ...basically ANYBODY other than the tuners. The ONLY thing you REALLY get from them is a more solid warranty. We value the tuners and their skill and they get a premium for it. I don't think that they should be charging "full boat RETAIL" but it's their business and their option to charge whatever they feel is reasonable. Many have bought from MotoMummy with ZERO issues. I bought mine for $200 "pre-owned" from a guy on one of these forums. I learned that the one I bought had older style wiring. Really not an issue for someone with a semblance of electrical familiarity but it might have stopped others in their tracks so for those that don't want to know or worry about the details, they can pay retail from these great tuners and have 100% confidence in the solution. Others who may be more tech savvy can save hundreds by going with one of these other discounters or buying a used one. YMMV

·
Registered
308 Posts
Interesting Lloydz experience

So my my dear wife has ordered two items from Lloydz for me - a top air filter which arrived without fanfare in time for Christmas and now a timing wheel. The interesting part is when she tracked the timing wheel it went from Jersey to Spokane Washington, where it sits just now. It's final destination is Northern Alabama....... I suppose it's not their fault but really....all the way to Spokane? What's with that ;-)
I think I'll get my PCV from Amazon........

Keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Other than a few items (ones that I regularly search for) the prices aren't that different. ATS is still US$147 for 08 and up, and 1/4 Throttle ring is still $20.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts

G'day,

Vinish

Both my PCV's on the XC and Scout purchased from Motomummy with no problems ..

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
What the members of the cheap bastards club (I am one too) don't realize is that it costs $250-260 for the suppliers to buy a PC-V. If Lloydz sells them for $269 he will soon be out of business because he has OVERHEAD. Salaries, electric bill, rent, tools, etc...

Someone who has a web store and no storefront or overhead can sell you a PC-V that he made $15 to have his supplier drop-ship straight to you. Lloyd has to pay someone to order the stock, box and ship, replenish the stock... while providing heat and light and tape and boxes and...

Heaven forbid Lloyd make a profit and be able to do more R&D so you can have proven performance parts.

"If you wanna have a million dollars from owning a motorcycle shop, start with two million dollars." --- A Very Wise Man

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
What the members of the cheap bastards club (I am one too) don't realize is that it costs $250-260 for the suppliers to buy a PC-V. If Lloydz sells them for $269 he will soon be out of business because he has OVERHEAD. Salaries, electric bill, rent, tools, etc...

Someone who has a web store and no storefront or overhead can sell you a PC-V that he made $15 to have his supplier drop-ship straight to you. Lloyd has to pay someone to order the stock, box and ship, replenish the stock... while providing heat and light and tape and boxes and...

Heaven forbid Lloyd make a profit and be able to do more R&D so you can have proven performance parts.

"If you wanna have a million dollars from owning a motorcycle shop, start with two million dollars." --- A Very Wise Man
While Motomummy could be lying, consider this page from their website: https://www.motomummy.com/aboutus.html

It shows pictures of a decent size warehouse and also includes the following words, "We stock nearly all of the products we sell. That isn't to say that at times we don't run out or have to order things in, but we are not a drop ship company. We ship 99.99% of all products out of our Austin, TX facility. When you look at our return labels they will nearly always be from our facility and our company. We like to have hands on knowledge of our products and be able to offer a service behind them. If you're ever in the Central Texas area be sure and stop by..."

This does not sound like the type of company you are describing. Perhaps your estimate of what it costs a distributor like Lloydz or Motomummy to procure a PCV is incorrect. in either case, it is clear that Lloydz has a much higher margin than Motomummy. Note that the difference in selling price was not small. It was $269 vs. $432. This is WAYYYY more than is accounted for by the factors you describe especially since I have pointed out that BOTH companies have warehouses and neither is a drop-shipper.

Let's assume for a moment that your $250 wholesale price is correct. Let's also not use the $432 cost that was mentioned earlier in this thread since I am sure that included sales tax (probably in NY) and instead, let's use the $400 price listed on Lloydz site for a PCV for a later model Victory.

The profit margin for Motomummy would be (269-250)/269 = 7.1%. The profit margin for Lloydz would be (400-250)/400 = 37.5%.

I fully understand all of the topics you mention about running a brick and mortar motorcycle parts store. If one of these (lloydz for example) believes they bring enough value to their customer to charge a 37.5% profit margin, then that's what they should charge. Those customers who agree with Lloydz can "vote" with their dollars by buying their PCV from Lloydz. Those customers who don't find adequate value in Lloydz offering can "vote" elsewhere. This is normal capitalism.

This discussion is interesting in light of the position in which I currently find myself and my employer. We are a manufacturing company - effectively a medium sized company although we are a business unit of a HUGE multi-national company with almost $15 billion in sales. The corporation allows each business unit to run very independently. My business unit has direct and indirect competition. We are NOT the lowest cost source for any of the products we manufacture. We charge a higher margin and offer other value to our customers which we believe justifies our higher margins. One of those added values we bring is technical support that is the best in the industry. As the Technical Director of our business unit, I am a key part of this component of adding value since most of the technical support originates from me or my henchmen :) Demonstrating the added value we bring is a constant struggle and one at which we sometimes succeed and sometimes fail.

As you can see, I am fully conversant with the issues you describe and I have chosen to vote with my dollars for Motomummy's PCV. I would encourage anyone reading this long post and thread to make an informed vote of their own by asking themselves if they perceive adequate value from Lloydz to justify the $131 (or 163 if they are in NY) difference in price for a PCV from Lloydz vs. Motomummy. What each buyer decides is up to them. I would not be so presumptuous as to tell them which way to "vote". My goal is merely to help them understand the prices and other factors so they can make a better informed decision.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 20 of 54 Posts