1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
More info? Maybe a link? ;-)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I did search on google news, Lloydz site and the Indian forums..... nada, nothing. So @rodhotter ...provide a source or this is bunk.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
It would appear that rodhotter's reporting was both timely and accurate. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cyril huse

i get weekly e-mail from them, motorcycle news, parts, + a usually good joke. Lloyd was pictured looking very professional with an indian logo'd shirt. said ti be the oldest dealership, but comments were otherwise! man gotta make a living + hopefully he can cure the "clacking" noted in some TS111 engines. he did well for us Vic guys, + i wish him luck with no hard feelings!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
My question would be the same one asked in that thread. How, when it was opened in 2008, do they get to claim "the first Indian dealership in the world"??? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
They never let the truth get in the way of acgood story...Since 1901:grin

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
truth!!

truer words were never spoken!!! journalist etc bend + twist the facts ti their liking + seem to always get away with it!!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
"with Kings Mountain built bikes" where were Indians built previous to Kings Mountain?
Indian "Motocycle" (as it was named by the founders) were originally manufactured in Springfield, Massachusetts. Originally, motorcycles, much like HD, were sold directly by the manufacturer. While I'm not sure where the first dealer was, I'm guessing it was not far from Springfield. The first 'revival' of Indian was in 1998 using an S&S motor but that effort went bankrupt in 2003. In 2008, a British investment group specializing in reviving iconic brands (one of their best known successes was the revival of Chris Craft) which built the plant in Kings Mountain, NC. They continued using S&S for the motor but upped the details (paint, leather seats and bags, accessories, etc.) to a much higher level and ended up with list prices in the high $30's to low $40's. Needless to say, sales were at best sluggish and in 2011 they sold "Indian" and the facility to Polaris.

·
Super Moderator
4,968 Posts
Good for him I hope he's wildly successful!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
In 2008, a British investment group specializing in reviving iconic brands (one of their best known successes was the revival of Chris Craft) which built the plant in Kings Mountain, NC. They continued using S&S for the motor but upped the details (paint, leather seats and bags, accessories, etc.) to a much higher level and ended up with list prices in the high $30's to low $40's. Needless to say, sales were at best sluggish and in 2011 they sold "Indian" and the facility to Polaris.
Towards the end, they had their own motor called the PowerPlus engine. I've seen this called the "bottlecap" engine, for obvious reasons.

https://indianmotorcyclecharlotte.com/portals/indianmotorcyclecharlotte/Skins/indianmotorcyclecharlotte-Alpha/images/manuals/Power_Plus_100_Engine_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
132 Posts
Indian "Motocycle" (as it was named by the founders) were originally manufactured in Springfield, Massachusetts. Originally, motorcycles, much like HD, were sold directly by the manufacturer. While I'm not sure where the first dealer was, I'm guessing it was not far from Springfield. The first 'revival' of Indian was in 1998 using an S&S motor but that effort went bankrupt in 2003. In 2008, a British investment group specializing in reviving iconic brands (one of their best known successes was the revival of Chris Craft) which built the plant in Kings Mountain, NC. They continued using S&S for the motor but upped the details (paint, leather seats and bags, accessories, etc.) to a much higher level and ended up with list prices in the high $30's to low $40's. Needless to say, sales were at best sluggish and in 2011 they sold "Indian" and the facility to Polaris.
Thanks for that info.

Going back to the "first Indian Dealership" comment in the article. I read the article to say that this dealership (that Lloydz is now a partner in) is/was the first dealership anywhere to receive any of the new bikes manufactured in Kings Mountain. NOT that they were the first Indian dealership.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
"with Kings Mountain built bikes" where were Indians built previous to Kings Mountain?
Just my HO but this quote from the article "Indian Motorcycle Charlotte opened its doors in October 2008 as the first Indian dealer in the world, with a variety of Kings Mountain-built machines." while making the claim, provides no realistic evidence or support for that claim. Nowhere in the article does it make an explicit distinction between original Indians and those from Kinks Mountain ie: 'Worlds first dealer in the world of Kings Mountain built Indians'. Perhaps it was a semantics error on their part but semantically, it doesn't wash.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Towards the end, they had their own motor called the PowerPlus engine. I've seen this called the "bottlecap" engine, for obvious reasons.
They had no choice. When the court awarded them the rights to the Indian name, the stipulation was that they MUST HAVE A PROPRIETARY ENGINE by a certain date or the rights to the name would be given to the other party.

The proprietary engine was basically an EVO motor with rounded cylinders and heads. That engine's failing crankshafts is what broke the company's back financially.

·
Registered
433 Posts
They had no choice. When the court awarded them the rights to the Indian name, the stipulation was that they MUST HAVE A PROPRIETARY ENGINE by a certain date or the rights to the name would be given to the other party.

The proprietary engine was basically an EVO motor with rounded cylinders and heads. That engine's failing crankshafts is what broke the company's back financially.
I laughed my head off at all of that. The grin on HD engineers faces would have been priceless!

Grateful That Indian was resurrected. All while HD struggles to learn new things.

I will cry when an updated Vic 106 goes into a Performance Indian. Lets make it happen Polaris! Sounds like a good step into the future to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts