Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Lloydz

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Bueller 
#1 ·
Lloydz of Lloydz tuning + another guy buys a very old Indian dealership!!

#2 ·
More info? Maybe a link? ;-)

#3 ·
I did search on google news, Lloydz site and the Indian forums..... nada, nothing. So @rodhotter ...provide a source or this is bunk.

#5 ·
It would appear that rodhotter's reporting was both timely and accurate. Thanks for the info.

#7 ·
cyril huse

i get weekly e-mail from them, motorcycle news, parts, + a usually good joke. Lloyd was pictured looking very professional with an indian logo'd shirt. said ti be the oldest dealership, but comments were otherwise! man gotta make a living + hopefully he can cure the "clacking" noted in some TS111 engines. he did well for us Vic guys, + i wish him luck with no hard feelings!!

#8 ·
My question would be the same one asked in that thread. How, when it was opened in 2008, do they get to claim "the first Indian dealership in the world"??? :rolleyes:

#15 ·
In 2008, a British investment group specializing in reviving iconic brands (one of their best known successes was the revival of Chris Craft) which built the plant in Kings Mountain, NC. They continued using S&S for the motor but upped the details (paint, leather seats and bags, accessories, etc.) to a much higher level and ended up with list prices in the high $30's to low $40's. Needless to say, sales were at best sluggish and in 2011 they sold "Indian" and the facility to Polaris.
Towards the end, they had their own motor called the PowerPlus engine. I've seen this called the "bottlecap" engine, for obvious reasons.

https://indianmotorcyclecharlotte.c...ages/manuals/Power_Plus_100_Engine_Manual.pdf

Reactions: id-man
#19 ·
Towards the end, they had their own motor called the PowerPlus engine. I've seen this called the "bottlecap" engine, for obvious reasons.
They had no choice. When the court awarded them the rights to the Indian name, the stipulation was that they MUST HAVE A PROPRIETARY ENGINE by a certain date or the rights to the name would be given to the other party.

The proprietary engine was basically an EVO motor with rounded cylinders and heads. That engine's failing crankshafts is what broke the company's back financially.

#21 ·
The Gilroy, CA "Indians" were basically parts assembled from the Fat Book. Nearly nothing 'proprietary' about them at all but the name on the gas tank.

The Kings Mountain Indians were clearly made to a much higher spec but as has been posted, it was still powered by an Evo motor with rounded cylinders that they called a 'Power Plus'. A major let down for me when I saw the first Kings Mountain bikes at a dealership. The motor of this new motorcycle made the entire package look too much like another "Harley" clone bike made to look Indianesque.

Now the Polaris Indian. Clearly designed by much of the same team that designed the Victory line. Way too 'Marketed' for me as it was clearly 'designed by committee' to ensure they took design cues from the actual Indian Motorcycle Company to be copied by the Polaris team. That and they copied the ergonomics nearly directly from the Harley-Davidson Street Glide. My guess is that if Polaris Indian misses 3 consecutive quarters of sales and profit projections they'll be shut down without much additional discussion.

#22 ·
I have been seeing this and I hope it doesnt happen.

I just sat on one of the Black Chieftains with the big Touch Screen at a bike show. Normal front fender. I wanted to ride it since I didnt I cant comment too much about the ergonomics. I can say I have ridden a 14 Electra Glide around in the mountains of Arizona. It almost killed me, because it had a broken engine mount and the ergonomics were terrible. The seat was made for a 5 ft and it felt like I was sitting on top of the bike. The only positive about riding that POS was the wind in my face.

The more I see the more I hear about the great room and ergonomics of The Magnum compared to Indian and HD. It is GREAT.
If I had to put up with that cramped feeling I would have sold the Streetglide and built my own bagger. Problem solved.

I dont remember feeling cramped on this seat. Maybe there was less room? I honestly cant give a good opinion for a number of reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.