Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I have a small issue, trying to wire up load equalizers to help get LED turn signals to blink slower. ive attatched photos so you can tell me what im doing wrong. the load equalizers are kuryakyn, 2 purple wires and one black, ive used the scotch adapters to the blue and blue/red wires, as well as black to black. yes they are secure. put 1 equalizer in front and one in back... the previous owner did a good job installing the turn signals but not the wiring, a hack job, but I am positive it was wired correctly, but what am I doing wrong. oh yeah its a 2004 vegas. wired one equalizer in headlight bucket and the other under the seat, yes ive traced the wires and looked at schematic

Attachments

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hello I have a small issue, trying to wire up load equalizers to help get LED turn signals to blink slower. ive attatched photos so you can tell me what im doing wrong. the load equalizers are kuryakyn, 2 purple wires and one black, ive used the scotch adapters to the blue and blue/red wires, as well as black to black. yes they are secure. put 1 equalizer in front and one in back... the previous owner did a good job installing the turn signals but not the wiring, a hack job, but I am positive it was wired correctly, but what am I doing wrong. oh yeah its a 2004 vegas. wired one equalizer in headlight bucket and the other under the seat, yes ive traced the wires and looked at schematic
Every bike I have that has a load equalizer only has one. I don't believe you need two unless it something peculiar to Vic's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even though the load equalizer is a single and not a dual/? I will go out to garage now and remove one of them and see what happens

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I removed the one from the headlight bucket. But they are still blinking fast. So I remove the one under the seat and take off gas tank and install on main wiring harness. Or is any blue. Blue red wire fine for turn signal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what I meant was can I put the single load equalizer on any set of the blue and blue/red turn signal wires? also I don't know what brand the LED turn signals are, they came on the bike when I bought it used. any help is greatly appreciated, although the fast blink doesn't bother me, it bothers me

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ok I removed the one from the headlight bucket. But they are still blinking fast. So I remove the one under the seat and take off gas tank and install on main wiring harness. Or is any blue. Blue red wire fine for turn signal?
A quick call to kuryakyn will confirm how many you need.
They would like you to have success and keep using their products.

Scan the directions and post them here , Especially need the schematic. Picture of the actual unit would help too. I believe the brands I have and have come across at Badlands or something like that. Probably same thing rebranded. However need to see a schematic if I am going to be of any help at all.

BTW we have one on each fxr that came on them and I have put some on other bikes that included canceling modules in them but never have put one on a Victory. So I will only be of so much help. Others here have put them on Vic's and if you hang tight they will be along I'm sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the pic of actual equalizer and the instructions. The schematic I used for determining turn signal wires was the service manual link ibfound on a post. Blue wire and blue red wire being positive for both front and back

Attachments

·
13,236 Posts
you know the polarity on the right is not the same as whats on the left

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive heard that but still a little confused, is the blue wire the left signal positive and the blue/red wire the right positive and black is negative?????????????????????????????????
the signals were already there when I bought the bike and the work, just blink fast

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
ive heard that but still a little confused, is the blue wire the left signal positive and the blue/red wire the right positive and black is negative?????????????????????????????????
the signals were already there when I bought the bike and the work, just blink fast
I've read before that the wiring harness to the signals is ass backwards on some of the models also. That is a fact.
Don't own those years so never paid attention to which ones they were. There are posts on here with details of how they are marked if you have any luck finding them. Your friend maybe the search function here.

As far as figuring it out from what you have I'd go about it something like this. Mark the wires going out to the signals carefully with masking tape and a marker so that you don't get them confused and loose track of which went to what later. Then disconnect those wires and check both wires on the harness side with a ohm meter when the power is off to ground.
Write down your readings and then compare the coloring of the wires that were attached to them from the led signals themselves and see if you can determine which wire is ground and which is signal on each side that way.

From what I see you need to get either power wire (violet wire on the module) tapped on to the signal wires left and right that connect to the actual turn signal unit positive or hot wire and hook up the ground (black Kuryakyn) to a system ground somewhere.

Sorry I am not more useful but someone will eventually answer who has had this issue. It's pretty common and perhaps should be a sticky by now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if this helps but previous owner cut the connectors off the turn signal wires in headlight. But they work and blink fast , its a 2004. So does the polarity issue of the right front shouldn't effect me. If I unwire the right front and reverse the wires. It shouldn't light up or blink at all correct?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I don't know if this helps but previous owner cut the connectors off the turn signal wires in headlight. But they work and blink fast , its a 2004. So does the polarity issue of the right front shouldn't effect me. If I unwire the right front and reverse the wires. It shouldn't light up or blink at all correct?
Yes an LED hooked up backwards won't work that is true and when you hook it correctly it will work again as long as it is within it's designed operating voltage for that the unit .

However depending on what is in the load equalizer it may have no effect at all unless the polarity is correct and unless protected internally might possibly sustain damage. Usually though, in this day and age there is a warning on the unit or instruction about reversed polarity resulting in smoke getting out kind of stuff if that were the case.
I didn't see such a warning but you might want to double check.

So I take it that when you hooked it up neither side turn signal was affected in any way?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Used to be these were a couple of load resistors with a common ground but this paragraph seems to imply it is something more:

If, after the load equalizer is installed, the turn signals flash rapidly, you may need to synchronize the load
equalizer to the turn signal system. Do this by starting the motorcycle and turning either turn signal on for
5 flashes. Turn that signal off and turn on the other signal for 5 flashes. Turn the motorcycle off. Start the
motorcycle and verify the signals flash at the correct rate.
ENSURE PROPER LIGHT OPERATION BEFORE RIDING THE MOTORCYCLE.

I never heard of synchronizing a resistor so it must be something more. Which only makes sense with todays modern electronics. I guess it could also be a feature of the solid state blinker module that might be driving the turn signals on some bikes that needs resynchronizations but I really have no idea which it is.

We have exceeded the limit of my intelligence at this point.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
13,236 Posts
justin317537

get your ass to a auto store and buy a voltmeter $20.
NEVER do any elictrical with out one. You'll burn up your wiring harness and that will cost you a thousand bucks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Well thanks to all who chimed in to help. I finally figured it out.... Load equalizercame with those scotch llck connectors. Well I used those and upon taking them off to start from scratch I noticed that one I had on the right front positive wire the blade of the Scotch lock was missing half the metal blade
.. I did it the tried and true way I stripped the wires twisted them together and soldered. Something so stupid as technology and its the basic wayvthat proves to win in end

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just my two cents: never use Scotchlocks. Use Posi-taps or Posi locks if you're not going to solder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts