Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Load Equalizers (again)

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Vinish 
#1 ·
Ok, I know this has been discussed in the past but I'm still confused...
I purchased LED turn signals to replace the rear stock signals (for now). Kuryakyn part # 2527 from Kuryakyn. The instructions state "may need load equalizer" but does not give a part number. There is no amperage info of the lights within installation instructions either.
Searching on Kuryakyn website for "load equalizer" reveals nothing! Searching on Amazon produces millions (ok, maybe not) of results. Some $70 or more for one and some $15 for four resistors. I will be eventually replacing the front signals too so I might as well get enough for all four signals right away.
My questions is do I spend $15 dollars or $210 ? I'd prefer the prior!
Also should they be 2 amp or 4 amp? 4 amp seems excessive per bulb. But since there are no specs on the websites or on the instructions besides that they are 12 volts I can't make this determination.
These are going on a 2014 Hammer 8 Ball, which I believe makes no difference when it comes to the electrical aspect of this situation but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
As always all advice and input is appreciated!!

#2 ·
Could you measure the resistance of the stock bulb circuit and the new LED bulb circuit? The difference would be the amount of load that would need to be added by putting in a resistor. With the known difference in resistance, it would be trivial to buy the proper size resistors and simple to solder them into the circuit.

#5 · (Edited)
It's a resistor. That's it. Brand has no bearing other than perhaps quality. As an FYI, the size is due to the wattage needed and heat dissipation.
Or, you could easily hit an electronics store for a ceramic resistor and put it together yourself. You just need to work out the amounts.

#6 ·
I looked on “Victory Only” website and they have the same LR10 load equalizer for the same price Custom Dynamics has listed. Apparently this unit is all that’s needed for either rear or front and rear LED turn signal light replacement. No need to install a resistor for each lamp. And apparently no need to figure out the proper load resistance necessary for the new LED lamps. They state this is an improved unit as far as heat dissipation.
So I ordered one and I’ll update you to whether it works as advertised.
I do appreciate the responses!

#7 ·
The LR10 Load Equalizer is $30 on Amazon through seller Custom Dynamics. Is this the same price you are seeing?

When you get it, please use a multimeter to measure the resistance from the single wire to each of the dual output wires. I suspect this device is simple a pair of resistors and a pair of 5 cent resistors could be used instead. If my suspicion is correct, we would need to know the resistance of the resistors. Thanks.

Reactions: Motorbikerx
#8 · (Edited)
Thanks! I'll let you know. The price on Victory Only website is also $30 and they may even source it from Custom Dynamics. The only advantage I see in using the LR10 is you only need one unit for all four new LED lights (L/R and front/rear) and it is installed under the seat at the Flasher/Module relay connected with Posi-Tap connectors. Convenience comes with a price!
I missed this on Amazon when I was searching around. I could have saved the shipping cost ($8)! Oh well.

#9 ·
I save a lot of money with amazon premium. Somethings are even discounted with premium.

#10 ·
Well I received the LR10 VICTORY LOAD EQUALIZER from VictoryOnly.com.
Here are the ohmmeter readings as requested:
Black to Yellow 1 = 12.7 ohms
Black to Yellow 2 = 12.7 ohms
Yellow 1 to Yellow 2 = 22.3 ohms
I have no idea what these numbers mean. If someone does you are more than welcome to explain it. I am kinda curious.
Now I just need some free time and decent weather to install this and the LED Skeleton Hand Turn Signals (they match my mirrors) on the rear of my bike!

#11 ·
I installed the new LED taillights this morning. To make the process easier I removed the stock license plate holder assembly, which also holds the wiring in place going from the taillights to some connectors and eventually to the turn signal control module. After screwing up and attaching the wire connectors before threading them through the mounting holes and wasting the connectors provided, I got everything connected per the instructions. I tested the turn signals and as expected there was hyper-flash. I then removed the seat and found the turn signal flash module and connected the load equalizer (posi-taps made this process very easy). I then zip tied the load equalizer to the frame tube to assist in the heat sink process per the instructions and tested the turn signals again. Happily the turn signals flashed at normal speed! I then went for a long cruise to test them out and they worked just fine. In fact the new LED lights are extremely bright!! I mean really bright!!
My next project is to replace the front turn signals. I’m thinking about getting the Fork Covers Spike Black Turn Signals from Victory Only to replace the stock front turn signals. Maybe...?

#12 ·
Update!
I decided to purchase another set of the black skeleton hands turn signals to match the rear ones. But I ran into a snag (just like all my projects)!
The new turn signals do not fit into the stock fork mounts. Victory Only has a mount that would work but it’s $160!! Twice the price of the turn signals!!
After extensive searching I found amazon has a 43mm Kuryakyn mount (Kuryakyn 2580 Motorcycle Lighting Accessory) that they say works with all after market turn signals with an M8-1.25 mounting stud which these have.
I haven’t received it yet so I’ll keep you informed if it does.

#13 ·
Apparently I didn’t do my homework on the specs of my bike. To mount aftermarket front turn signals on a 2014 Hammer I need to spend almost three times the cost of the lights I bought for a 56mm mount! I could have just put LED’s in the stock turn signals but then they wouldn’t match the rear replacements I already installed. So why in the world do 2 chunks of polished black metal need to cost $160? Because it attaches to a motorcycle!

#14 ·
Boy do I feel stupid!
When I installed the new LED turn signals I made sure I connected black wire to black wire and red (from LED’s) to blue (on bike).
But for whatever reason the left front wires on my Hammer are reversed. The polarity is not the same as the rest.
After frustrating myself for two weeks trying to figure out why the left front turn signal wouldn’t work, and worse, not being able to ride, I finally have all four turn signals working.
Once again thanks to all for all of the suggestions and support.

#15 ·
I've heard that situation reported before on some Vic bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.