Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a bit of a predicament. I love the look and styling of the xc. But local dealership will not allow a test drive. Next closest dealer is 70 miles away and time off is few and far between (usually Sunday when they are closed). Would love input on the xc- 2011 and newer. I currently have a 2001 kaw nomad 1500. Would love to own one but hard to spend that money without knowing what it's like. Thank you for your response. Hope to make a desision soon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I love the fact that it is longer then the harley an watching the mech in Phoenix on YouTube makes it sound reliable and well built. But would love to hear thoughts on the handling- the baffling and so forth. My bike has a windshield- would like to know how the faring handles. Sorry. This not being able to test it out has me going crazy

·
Registered
659 Posts
Can't believe that the dealer won't do a test drive. Try scheduling one through the Victory website.

I sold a Kaw VN2000 to buy a Cross Country and I still have my VN900. The XC is a good balance between the 2 Kaws in size, weight, and power. Better storage, handling, and ease of service than either Kaw. The wind management with the fairing leaves a lot to be desired. Even after adding a flip windshield and these flector things the VN900 does better with the wind with a standard shield and fork mounted lowers.

Overall the XC is a great bike. I ride the $hit out of it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It was always my understanding that Victory mandated their dealers allow test rides of at least the Vic bikes they have for sale. However, maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm lucky to have one of the best and largest dealers closest (MOM's South, Foxboro, MA).

·
Registered
690 Posts
So, ask them about the 100 dollar test ride challenge. It's the own advertisement !

Even though they 100 dollar deal is technically over, it's still the company's policy to test ride their bikes. Push the dealer a little and see if you can make them budge.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's what I thought too. I would suggest mentioning you'll report them to Victory corporate if they don't let you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There's gotta be a reason why they wouldn't let you test drive. The fact you didn't mention why makes me wonder. I can't see a dealer turning down a customer without a really good reason.

Obvious question- What was the reason?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I owned a 2001 Nomad from new til I traded for a 09'1700 Nomad in Nov 2010. A friend bought a 2010 Xc in March of 2011. I rode it and thought it was very nice. We took a western states trip, 6800 miles in early July 2011. In 100+ degree weather I realized how the 1700 Nomad would cook me when the fan came on. The XC was cooler to ride than the 1700 Nomad. The 01' 1500 Nomad was cooler than the 1700 Nomad. XC fuel mileage was better than the 1700 Nomad. I would put in 4.7 gallons when he was putting in 3.7 over approx. 160 miles running at road speeds. After we returned(2 weeks later) I located a 2010 XC, made the trade and haven't looked back. the 2001 1500 Nomad was a great bike. The 2009 1700 Nomad was nice but didn't perform as well as the 2010 XC. 19000 miles on my XC and have enjoyed every mile. The XC is much more bike than the 01' Nomad, but has great handling and better performance. Yes a test ride would be great. I don't understand a dealer not wanting to allow it if it sells a bike. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Here you just have to show your Motorcylcle endorsement on your license and insurance. If you don't have a bike but have the license your auto insurance will work. Dealerships don't want to have a lawsuit because no insurance or no license. If you had those things with you I would never go back to that dealer as it is a Victory program that advertises demo rides. Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Local dealer here just requires a valid DL and your insurance, then it's sign the release and ride any (and I mean ANY) bike on the floor. Full tank of fuel, and be back by 5, cause they close @ 6. :)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Take a look at the demo truck schedule and see if there's anything close:

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/pages/national-demo-tour.aspx

If there's nothing close try registering for a demo on this link:

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/pages/overview.aspx?WT.ac=VIC-Top_Nav_Test Ride

Victory let's motorcycles sell themselves so they encourage demo rides. IMHO either your timing was off (not enough time to demo), they didn't have a demo model, or they required something you didn't have. For insurance purposes dealers have to verify your drivers license and/or motorcyle endorsement (if required in your state) before they can let you demo anything so if you didn't
have the required documents they wouldn't be able to allow you to demo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's gotta be a reason why they wouldn't let you test drive. The fact you didn't mention why makes me wonder. I can't see a dealer turning down a customer without a really good reason.

Obvious question- What was the reason?
They stated their insurance wouldn't allow it since they were on a busy intersection. I'd have to do the paperwork and basically buy the bike before I could ride it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I owned a 2001 Nomad from new til I traded for a 09'1700 Nomad in Nov 2010. A friend bought a 2010 Xc in March of 2011. I rode it and thought it was very nice. We took a western states trip, 6800 miles in early July 2011. In 100+ degree weather I realized how the 1700 Nomad would cook me when the fan came on. The XC was cooler to ride than the 1700 Nomad. The 01' 1500 Nomad was cooler than the 1700 Nomad. XC fuel mileage was better than the 1700 Nomad. I would put in 4.7 gallons when he was putting in 3.7 over approx. 160 miles running at road speeds. After we returned(2 weeks later) I located a 2010 XC, made the trade and haven't looked back. the 2001 1500 Nomad was a great bike. The 2009 1700 Nomad was nice but didn't perform as well as the 2010 XC. 19000 miles on my XC and have enjoyed every mile. The XC is much more bike than the 01' Nomad, but has great handling and better performance. Yes a test ride would be great. I don't understand a dealer not wanting to allow it if it sells a bike. Good Luck.
Thanks. I have everything. Lisence and insured. It was there policy. Said I could go to the other dealership I mentioned and test ride it there and come back- another interesting note was none of the xc had a working battery so they wouldn't/couldn't start the thing. They let me sit on it.
I felt like i was beinh kid through the experience (I'm 36 and been riding almost all my life).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Something smells fishy here. Honestly, if I found a bike I liked at the other dealer I'd buy it from them because this dealer sounds like they offer nothing but sh*t service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take a look at the demo truck schedule and see if there's anything close:

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/pages/national-demo-tour.aspx

If there's nothing close try registering for a demo on this link:

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/test-ride/pages/overview.aspx?WT.ac=VIC-Top_Nav_Test Ride

Victory let's motorcycles sell themselves so they encourage demo rides. IMHO either your timing was off (not enough time to demo), they didn't have a demo model, or they required something you didn't have. For insurance purposes dealers have to verify your drivers license and/or motorcyle endorsement (if required in your state) before they can let you demo anything so if you didn't
have the required documents they wouldn't be able to allow you to demo.
Thanks for the links. I may just have to try a different state- we don't get em here till September.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah that's the way I'm used to it. I baught my kaw new and they were shocked I brought it back so soon(said take it for the afternoon I was back in 30 min). Wish there were more dealers in il- shame since we are next door to Iowa

·
Registered
72 Posts
They stated their insurance wouldn't allow it since they were on a busy intersection. I'd have to do the paperwork and basically buy the bike before I could ride it.
I'm guessing they should change locations then. You`d think they'd make it easier to try one out. I`d move on down the road, and check out the other dealer. Don`t let a bad experience such as this force you to miss out on owning an awesome piece of machinery. As a bonus, since these things are so reliable, you won`t have to make the added trip to the better dealer that often!

cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
kchawkeye, let me guess. The dealer is Victory of Carol Stream that is also a Suzuki dealer? I was all excited when this dealer opened across the street from my workplace. All I'll say is, they're not going to make it...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Go to Maxim in Merrilville, IN. I was there this week and was treated very well. Their hours are strange though as they close at 6pm. Never can figure out why a dealer with motorcycles closes in the summer until at least 8 pm. People work, weather is nice and it is buying season. But still nice folks that work there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts