Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Do you mean something like this?

https://youtu.be/PFEDRoKNIvo

I think the link you provide = 129$ is a bit to much, you can fabricate it yourself?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
275 Posts
LOL, Love his vids, but talk about over engineering :grin Not that thats a bad thing. I would say though, I actually built mine such that it's lower so I can actually use it to store things like my helmets gloves and what not, in the trunk itself while it is on the wall mount.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I know about Pauls and other solutions. I need a working picture of this mount. I can buy it for a lot less.
I haven't found a picture with the trunk attached to this mount either. From the position of the trunk mounting bars, or what I think are the trunk mounting bars, it seems like the trunk would be vertical when attached instead of horizontal. If that's the case, it means the mounted trunk isn't very suitable for storage but it also doesn't protrude so much off the wall and puts less stress on the mount and the wall attaching points.

I also thought I found a website somewhere offering this RF version for $85 which, to me, is more like it. Amazon Prime has this RF version for $99 through, guess who, Leaders RPM.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here is mine. Made form 2x8 and 1/2" galvanized pipe out of the bone yard! Cost $0!!! 10" on center, 3 1/2" drop.

Attachments

·
12,984 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So much trash on the ground. :|

I had a $20 off credit so the Trunk Mount cost me $40 at Leaders RPM. They have about 70 left. My trunk is going to the body shop . Ill post a pick later. Still don't know where in the hell I am going to mount it in the garage. Might be a big problem!

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
What's kept me from buying this one all along is that it's so short vertically. It just seems to put a LOT of stress on the mounting points which are so close (vertically) together.

That is the OEM Rack. Here is one on Clearance.

https://leadersrpmshop.com/victory-n...-tour-2881491/

The RF Customs/Leaders mount places the mounting stress and pressure points far apart thereby spreading the load over a much larger area. For $54, I just may have to order one of these from Leaders RPM.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I ordered the RF Customs/Leaders RPM trunk rack today. It shipped today so I should see it on Friday. At $53.95 delivered, it was difficult to pass it up. Now I'll have to make room on the garage wall. But it will be very nice to get the trunk and/or the passenger backrest/luggage rack off the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
My RF Customs designed/Leaders RPM fire sale trunk rack came in today. It's very nice, well built and even came with 4 long and beefy wood mounting screws. The trunk does mount vertically with the tail light assembly facing up. It doesn't have the ability to hang clothes on like another metal one that's been available for a while at $129.00. But I'm fine with that as my riding vest, clothing and helmets hang in the house anyway.

I like the design of this rack for the following reasons:

1. The mounting base is spread out wide and high therefore spreading the load weight over a large area compared to many other racks I've seen.

2. With the trunk hanging vertical, it doesn't stick out into the garage as far and thereby doesn't leverage a lot of weight away from the wall.

3. It has a designed in Victory logo that should look nice on the garage wall.

4. At $53.95 delivered, it's a GREAT bargain. For me anyway, it's not worth designing and making one myself with this one readily available at that low price.

5. It will be nice to have the trunk and/or the passenger backrest/luggage rack off the garage floor.

Now I just need to move a rack and some things around in the garage a bit to clear up some wall space.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that I have it, I am considering screwing a wedge together with some 2 x 4's so the trunk is mounted Horizontal. That leaves the Vic Logo open to hang stuff off on. If you live close enough they will give you free shipping!

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Correction to my earlier post:

Mounting the rack as designed, with the Victory logo against the wall, leaves 17" of the lower rail open and available to hang a lot of gear. Nothing to alter, change or modify.

This rack just got even nicer.

·
12,984 Posts
you said it came with 4 long screws. Reminded me that victory sold a rack way back in the beginning. It was made to narrow to mount on the wall studs. So guys would mount it the best way they could even on sheetrock. Well the racks started falling of the walls and as I remember vic tuck care of a few of the damage trunks but recalled all the racks very fast

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
The mounting holes are 16" on center which is correct for the studs in the wall.

I thought it was odd at first to hang the trunk vertically. But the more I think about it, the more I'm in favor of the vertical storage position. It's good to have options!

·
Registered
265 Posts
For $60 I decided to give it a try. I just got it today so I don't have any pictures of it mounted, but perhaps this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
The bottom rail of the OEM rack is too big for the mounting point of the trunk. Going off memory, the rail diameter was 23mm and the space at the mounting point was 22mm.

Long story short, I used a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel to remove some metal. Not sure it's the best solution, but its what I could come up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
The bottom rail of the OEM rack is too big for the mounting point of the trunk. Going off memory, the rail diameter was 23mm and the space at the mounting point was 22mm.

Long story short, I used a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel to remove some metal. Not sure it's the best solution, but its what I could come up with.
I sanded all of the paint off of the bottom rail the other day. I am hoping that gets me enough room if not I will sand some more on the metal rail and see if I can get it to fit. I believe what you did or something similar is the only way to get it to fit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts